Art: Hi, I'm new

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Hi, I'm new

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi, I'm new

Hi, everyone. I'd like to say this is my first sculpt, but actually I'm hoping it's the first sculpt that I won't throw into the crawlspace under my house as soon as I get discouraged and give up. I figure I'll be more likely to finish something if I take pictures of it and post it on the internet and suffer ridicule and get outed as a chump if I give up on it and start on something else.

Anyway, the idea is a gargoyle. It will sit on my desk at work and my business cards will sit in slots in its back, sort of like wings. You can tell I've already deviated from my original drawing, but I really like this pose better anyway. And, yeah, add clay-bake-add clay is probably a bad idea, but I have a horrible bad habit of sticking my fingers in whatever I'm working on and ruining it so I'm just going to go ahead and do it anyway. I figure if I bake a mistake, a few minutes with my dremel tool will alleviate the problem.

So, without further ado, here is is. Advice and critiques are appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chrome Coffee Mug; June 22nd, 2011 at 12:55 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's looking neat so far.

I have the same motivation problems, I hope it works out better for you than me.

When you get the time, I'd love to see more of that concept sketch in the background, an idea of where you're heading?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree about the sketch. The general forms are looking great though. The asymmetry in the pose adds another level of interest which is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome The concept (fromm what can be seen) looks neat and by far the stance and muscles look OK, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. Unfortunately I didn't work on this at all yesterday. But here's some progress, along with a better shot of the concept sketch:

Hi, I'm new

I'm ready to continue on it, probably with the level of detail you see in the leg there. Probably a little underachieving, but I'm more interested in finishing this than any profound level of detail. Also, inside of the leg:

Hi, I'm new

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you're off to a good start. Neat creature design by the way, and I like the idea of it serving as a business card holder.
    And don't worry about getting made fun of here, I have yet to see anyone around these forums making fun of anyone else's honest efforts.

Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot to take pictures of it before putting it in the oven. Just imagine it with two legs instead of one.

Also, thanks for all the encouragement, guys. It helps.

EDIT: I was planning to leave it in the oven over night, but I got hungry and decided I needed a bagel. I'm sure making a bagel in the same toaster oven that you cook a sculpture is a sure fire recipe for cancer, but I'm willing to take that risk for great polymer-flavored bagels.

Hi, I'm new

So far I've been working on it three hours a night which is about my limit for paying attention to something that isn't a video game. My biggest problem is seeing how much better the second leg is than the first and trying to stop myself from going back and redoing it, as this will lead me to getting discouraged and tossing it aside.

Hi, I'm new

I've never spent so long looking at gargoyle ass.

Hi, I'm new

Last edited by Chrome Coffee Mug; May 12th, 2011 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Over tonight and last night I got half an arm done.
    Hi, I'm new
    Hi, I'm new
    Hi, I'm new

Does it look too small? It's hard to tell until I've left it alone for a few hours and gotten my sense of perspective back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start. keep going with it.

Todd Kinniburgh
    The Cosmic Kid studios
    tckstudios.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, the encouragement really helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The arm looks about the right scale in the 1st pic, but maybe a little too small in the others. It also looks as if the bicep and tricep are a bit too over-exaggerated. There seems to be too much 'pinch' where the arm joins the shoulder. Remember that there are numerous other muscles in the upper arm that help bulk out the other areas. Looking great all in all. Should be a wonderful piece to have on your desk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have only one miserable cel phone picture to show for the last few days' work.

Hi, I'm new

I've torn it down and rebuilt it a few times. I did fix that bicep though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd suggest to do the overall anatomy first to get a clear picture of the forms. Then work in the details from there. That way you can quickly get the shapes in and then work your way inwards from there. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Chrome! First I would like to congratulate you for trying on sculpting. I think your piece is progressing well and I like the gargoyle concept. Looking forward to see your final output.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HairyAsHell View Post
    I'd suggest to do the overall anatomy first to get a clear picture of the forms. Then work in the details from there. That way you can quickly get the shapes in and then work your way inwards from there. Keep it up
    Yes, I've noticed some problems with the way I've been working. I should follow smellybug's tutorial more closely. I'll keep that in mind as I work on it more. As it is, I'm keeping a mental list of all my mistakes to avoid next time and hopefully it'll turn out to be a better sculpture. Thanks for the critique dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm new
    Hi, I'm new
    Hi, I'm new

I think his head might be too small.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry about rebuilds and stuff, they happen. You learn a ton of stuff on your 1st sculpt, more at one time than you ever learn again. Hairy is right, just slap on the slabs of muscle and get your bearings from there. Maybe you should not slavishly adhere to the original concept 100% ;just feel your way in and use your eye. It's easy to be hyper critical and keep scrunching but then you lose the raw energy of just making the thing.

This is only my take and everyone has different styles of course, good luck with the project mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TitusCrow View Post
    You learn a ton of stuff on your 1st sculpt, more at one time than you ever learn again.
    You're right on that point. I can actually see where I'd improved from one part to another.

As it is, this thing has been baked, and all that's left is to sculpt the hands, feet, and head. It's probably going to take me just as long on those parts as it did the entire body of the thing. I'm going to push through so this thread is going to be light on pictures until I have the thing finished and ready to paint.

Don't expect a spectacular paint job either, guys. I've never painted anything before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice starting you are not new man......... just sculpt more sculpt
    and upload and gets critiques well i want to say best of luck good bless you
    www.zakirkhaan.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's coming along great, looking forward to new updates. I've a soft spot for gargoyles. They don't get a lot of love, but in a way they are the original monster sculptures and so are really important from a historical perspective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by techyfox View Post
    It's coming along great, looking forward to new updates. I've a soft spot for gargoyles. They don't get a lot of love, but in a way they are the original monster sculptures and so are really important from a historical perspective
    Thanks. I'm still working on this, but progress has been slow seeing as how I've gone on vacation for a week and brought back the flu, which caused me to miss almost a week of both work and sculpting. As soon as I make any appreciable progress on it, I'll post updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Coffee Mug View Post
    Thanks. I'm still working on this, but progress has been slow seeing as how I've gone on vacation for a week and brought back the flu, which caused me to miss almost a week of both work and sculpting. As soon as I make any appreciable progress on it, I'll post updates.
    You'll probably come back with a real fresh eye and do better work. I get burned out looking at the same sculpture day in, day out and because I suck at it, it takes me weeks to get anywhere. Little breaks for a few days really seems to help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finally finished it.
    Hi, I'm new

All too late I realized that my armature is shit. Look at it sag like a sad gargoyle slowly being eroded away by years of rain

Hi, I'm new

Hi, I'm new

I don't think there's anything I can do with it other than chalk it up as a learning experience. The next one will be 100% better. I watched like two Shiflett brothers youtube videos, so I should be cranking out masterpieces in no time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you abandoned it too soon. You could have built on the musculature from reference and got some more detail in, like in the face and hands/feet. I'm sure like you say, you'll do a lot better next shot but really what I see here in your finished piece looks to me like a sculpture in progress that could go on to be a really great piece.

Look forward to your next one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I've been working on lately. It's a goat...demon...lady...thing.

Hi, I'm new

Hi, I'm new

Hi, I'm new

Still needs a lot of work and refinement. As an aside, does anyone know where to find some reference pictures of chunky, four breasted ladies?

Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.