Need help with the eye shape
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Need help with the eye shape

Hey guys I am currently having a LOT of trouble drawing realistic eyes.
    I have alredy checked some turorials,looked for for reference and even used paint to highlight the shape eyes in order to grasp them.

I am trying relly hard to grasp the eye shape ( I am using a mirror with my own eye)

However I am unable to get them right( I have sketeched already more than 100, no joke... any advice?. I won't rest until I am able to draw beautiful eyes

Here is a sample of the best I've come up while sketching:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...f/39ca1823.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...f/2caf61a6.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...f/3d3f59a5.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...f/8cea5d63.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...f/0e48ced5.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...f/4539c058.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...f/c5a50d6e.jpg

Cool facts
    1.- I want to learn to draw them from memory
    2.- I have a No shading rule for now. Shading is yet too advanced for me I want to have a good structure befoire shading (otherwise I won't go anywhere). As my mentor told me.
    3.- I am unable to grasp the "angles" correctly
    4.- I am a self taught artist and a newbie lol.

Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

"There is a right way and an easy way". I am here to do things the right way .

Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, the problem you are having is that you are thinking of the eye in two dimensions. The eye is actually a ball (eyeBALL, big surprise), and very three dimensional.

Don't draw only the outline of the eye where it meets the lid like that. Think of the volume of the entire eye. Draw a sphere, then draw the eyelids wrapping around the form of the ball. It is generally a good idea to draw the socket the eye is sitting in as well.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    Okay, the problem you are having is that you are thinking of the eye in two dimensions. The eye is actually a ball (eyeBALL, big surprise), and very three dimensional.

Don't draw only the outline of the eye where it meets the lid like that. Think of the volume of the entire eye. Draw a sphere, then draw the eyelids wrapping around the form of the ball. It is generally a good idea to draw the socket the eye is sitting in as well.
    Wow that explins lot. Will try my best to think of them in 3d. Now to sketch another 100 ! thank you

Last edited by FallenLegend; May 8th, 2011 at 10:59 PM.
    Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tht seems very very useful (specially regarding eye angles thank you very much

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    We think alike, except your Googling skills are better than mine... I was going to post this, but couldn't remember the name of the artist. And I stopped looking after looking through like 20 horrible, horrible eye tutorials. WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY CAN DRAW EYES AND FEEL THE URGE TO TEACH OTHERS?

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    We think alike, except your Googling skills are better than mine... I was going to post this, but couldn't remember the name of the artist. And I stopped looking after looking through like 20 horrible, horrible eye tutorials. WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY CAN DRAW EYES AND FEEL THE URGE TO TEACH OTHERS?
    Lol ineed. I had to face so many crappy anime eye tutorials before this advice. Thank you two for thr help.

I will be back after I practice with the advice you gave me .

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing eyes is like drawing anything else...they are made up of light on form...study and understand those things and you'll be able to draw them.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Drawing eyes is like drawing anything else...they are made up of light on form...study and understand those things and you'll be able to draw them.
    I like the way Vilppu does it. He basically uses the drawing through method to establish the eyeball location then ghosts lines to fit it into the lids...and renders it from there, leaving no lines of course. That's for actual construction placement of the eyeball, though.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by legendarysonofgod View Post
    Hey guys I am currently having a LOT of trouble drawing realistic eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by legendarysonofgod View Post
    2.- I have a No shading rule for now. Shading is yet too advanced for me I want to have a good structure before shading (otherwise I won't go anywhere). As my mentor told me.
    I believe this is a problem. Realism requires some form of shading to represent how the light hits. Otherwise the only representation of 3D form you have is contour, and that's not very useful for things like spheres. If shading is too advanced for you, start learning to shade basic shapes like spheres and boxes, and then you should be able to handle shading the eyes.

Last edited by manlybrian; May 9th, 2011 at 02:46 AM.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That has been a great source of confussion for me to be hnest. A lot of people (including my mentor) had told me to give prioritiy to lineart and then to shading.Becuase it goives a better foundation. Others tell me that values are were a beginner like me should be.

I am really confused lol. (copy pste from me

Quote Originally Posted by manlybrian View Post
    I believe this is a problem. Realism requires some form of shading to represent how the light hits. Otherwise the only representation of 3D form you have is contour, and that's not very useful for things like spheres. If shading is too advanced for you, start learning to shade basic shapes like spheres and boxes, and then you should be able to handle shading the eyes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not saying your mentor was wrong about line drawing first then shading. It's good to learn perspective and shapes, and then focus on value and rendering. I'm just saying in order to draw realism you'll probably need to learn shading. Otherwise your eyes will look flat like...well...line drawings. You can't convey the 3D form of a sphere with a line-drawing, you need some way to create the illusion of light. Otherwise you've drawn a circle.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not saying your mentor was wrong about line drawing first then shading. It's good to learn perspective and shapes, and then focus on value and rendering. I'm just saying in order to draw realism you'll probably need to learn shading. Otherwise your eyes will look flat like...well...line drawings. You can't convey the 3D form of a sphere with a line-drawing, you need some way to create the illusion of light. Otherwise you've drawn a circle.
    Thanks lot that tht explins a lot Btw Would you mind if I ask you art relted questions later?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm not really an expert yet, but you're welcome to ask me whatever you'd like. I know a few things about drawing but not too much about colour theory or painting.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When you're drawing the whole face, it can also be helpful if you establish the area the eyes sit in first, before messing around with drawing the actual eyes... Actually, better still, establish the larger shapes of the whole head, then work your way down to features. Drawing eyes in context might be more useful in the long run than drawing solitary eyes, and it's actually easier in some ways.

I remember when I was a beginner the tendency was to fixate on just the eyes, and try sticking them on the head. And of course they'd never end up in quite the right place, or quite the right shape. (Same with the mouth.) It got a lot easier when I started looking at the overall three-dimensional shapes of the head first before defining specific features...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I believe this is a problem. Realism requires some form of shading to represent how the light hits. Otherwise the only representation of 3D form you have is contour, and that's not very useful for things like spheres.
    Yes it is. You just need to know how to describe these things with a line. Realism does not equal shading.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    You just need to know how to describe these things with a line. Realism does not equal shading.
    Examples would be appreciated!

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Examples would be appreciated!
    Line is what conveys structure and volume. If you see look at forms as if they're wireframes and look beyond the contours you'll convey this. Value is what gives mass and form. Anything can have mass and form, but not everything can have structure, so if what you're drawing doesn't make sense in line, don't bother with value.

Attached Images Attached Images  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stabby2486 View Post
    Line is what conveys structure and volume. If you see look at forms as if they're wireframes and look beyond the contours you'll convey this. Value is what gives mass and form. Anything can have mass and form, but not everything can have structure, so if what you're drawing doesn't make sense in line, don't bother with value.
    No, I was mainly meaning Arenhaus' mention of drawing a realistic sphere without any shading.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @TinyBird

Draw ellipses through it, the light and dark shapes will conform to them. But the real point is, if you do want something to look truly convincing, yes, you will need value. But if you're at the stage the OP is, stick to line.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.