Thanks

Do your random sketches end up being your best work?

That's the beauty of sketching. A lot of times, we'll sketch something and have absolutely no clue what it is or where it can go. It later turns out to be some of our best and most memorable work. Do you guys have random sketches that turned into killer pieces?
    My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yes all the time, it's a part of tapping into the subconscious which is where our greatest processing power lies.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts
    Yes.

I think it's because we don't feel as much pressure when doodling, and without the pretense of "I MUST MAKE THIS AWESOME" it becomes a really enjoyable activity. You probably won't even feel that you've put effort into it regardless of whether or not you actually did.

The pleasure of simply creating is what makes art so much fun for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Hmmm...this doesn't really hold true for me. I generally have a clear idea what I'm going for even when I sketch so it is just a matter of working out that visualization. Often there are happy accidents and tweaks of course, and the discovery of better compositions and variations but it is only a means of recording ideas or developing an illustration for me. Of course this doesn't apply to observational work either which I do a lot of.
    Last edited by JeffX99; May 7th, 2011 at 04:41 AM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Yep... that's the way that I do my work. Since I incorporate shapes into landscapes, I start out by doing random sketches. From there, I start getting an idea on what shapes that I like and see if there is a plein-air painting or photograph of a scene that fits with my shape.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

When I'm doing the painting, I may make tweaks here or there, but usually follow the thumbnail sketches.

Dougie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    its the only way I work, I do not plan, I just let it flow I mean yes I do have a goal ( like: ok I would like to do a mage, monster, tank etc) but I never plan, I just start by random lines and let it flow ^^

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    ( like: ok I would like to do a mage, monster, tank etc)
    IN THE SAME IMAGE!!! pld:
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    In a way. There are times when I do really crappy and fast thumbnails, but when I later try to draw the finished version from that thumbnail, I find that I can't make the actual image look as "good", in the terms of it being as funny/fresh/clear.
    So the sketch doesn't evolve into a killer piece but the sketch itself is superior to the actual image.
    And then there's that "well I doodled this in ten minutes, let's upload it to the web for laughs--holy crap everyone's loving this wtf" stuff, but overall there's no sketch that would have accidentally ended up being my best work... in my opinion.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 916 Posts
    Everything I draw is a mindless doodle. :|
    Everything.
    - Sketchbook -
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crossmirage View Post
    I think it's because we don't feel as much pressure when doodling, and without the pretense of "I MUST MAKE THIS AWESOME" it becomes a really enjoyable activity.
    Completely agree with this.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    ( like: ok I would like to do a mage, monster, tank etc) but I never plan, I just start by random lines and let it flow ^^
    MONSTER MAGE TANK! Okay, draw that, go!

Some of my most fun ideas come from doing random doodles, but I can't say the doodles themselves are better than the final... Or anyway, if the first try at finishing a doodle fails, I just keep redoing it until the final looks like what I imagined in the doodle, but better.

Thanks
    I certainly like my random sketches a whole lot more then I do my full images - and yeah, I suppose most of it is simply that joy of not having to make the picture awesome, simply creating for the sake of creating. Certainly one of the much more fun bits of creating arts for everyone, I guess.
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    Short answer: yes.

Long answer: if only one in ten things you produce are worth being called 'good', then it makes sense that you end up with more good doodles than finished works if your doodle-to finished stuff ratio is high enough.
    But, and people have said this before, more often than not a thumbnail or quick sketch has that spontanity and sense of balance in composition, with confident shapes and lines that don't easily survive the further development of the picture.
    Look at this - it took me about ten-twenty seconds, if I recall that right:

Now this thing is a fairly good example of what I mean with stuff not surviving development ...Or it just might be that I don't know how to render properly...

It's the main reason why I tend to abandon stuff so easily half-way.
    Continue the critique at Deviant Art

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahnem Mee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBobo View Post
    Do you guys have random sketches that turned into killer pieces?
    I was going to say "yes" but what I really mean is "yes, after a whole bunch of work and improvement." So I guess what I'm saying is "not so much, no".
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Always! (:

Thanks
    I think that sometimes scribbles can end up giving me the best ideas, but never really my best work.

On the other end of the spectrum, some drawings I planned for and spent ages producing ended up being my crappest work. Art can be unpredictable at times.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    When you say best work, what are you meaning? If you mean our best, highest quality, awesomesauce skill in rendering it out, then no, I doubt it. But as for getting the idea across, capturing the feeling or the expression, or simply being the pieces I like most, then, yes, definitely.

It's why I use Alchemy so much, such a great program to just doodle in, and can get out great results.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Part of the phenomenon you mention Sulphur, and why sketches or doodles can sometimes seem to be your best work, is that they have an immediacy and a freshness that is very easy to lose as you move into more finished work. Basically a simple little sketch or doodle is still primarily a concept full of "potential"...it hasn't yet been ruined or taken in the wrong direction or developed in the wrong way...so the potential is full of posibility...the possibility that it would be a great piece!

One of the main hurdles for the developing artist is learning the process and skills required to take something from "potential" to final expression and have it retain that first fresh expression. Part of that balance is learning how to not kill a piece by overworking, as well as learning when not to fix a flawed beginning and just start over.

Another part of the phenomenon is that when you start to get your skills down things sometimes "come together" very naturally and you end up with a piece you didn't have to struggle with at all. This usually happens when you are crunched for time and don't have time to overthink what you're doing but you are just reacting to the scene or subject, bringing all your experience to bear in that one moment. This is when people say it just "painted itself".

I'll try to dig up a few examples...

The paintings were all 20 minute paintings, 6"x8" to 10"x12". The figure series were each 15 minutes - all from the same 45 min. pose
    Attachment 1229108 Attachment 1229110

Attachment 1229112 Attachment 1229113

Attachment 1229114
    Last edited by JeffX99; May 10th, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    I think in the sketching phase, when you are relaxed and just feeling it, like your in a bit of a meditative state, some of the best ideas can flow out. Not having any pressure to create a final piece there and then and just enjoying creating something for your self will yield some of the best results.

This year, I have been lucky to score some decent commissioned work and it takes up a lot of my time. The amount of personal work I created for myself has dropped down this year (compared to last year) and I wanted to change this. So I started doing a 'Daily Doodle' and begun to post them up on the web so that I was accountable. The reason being was that I would do something everyday for myself and I would test new things, try new things and generally start to generate images for later to be created as more finalised pieces.

This isn't ground breaking in anyway.

Everyone should really doodle everyday and many of the great artists on this site do and don't need to force it or find time. Some days, finding time to draw is a little tough but, now that I am 57 days in, I already feel like there is a marked improvement in what I can draw and yes, some of my daily doodles have been some of the best pieces I have created. They are freer, looser and stylistically they are more exploratory.

In short, removing the pressure to create something perfect or 'final' can result in your best work. Most of all, having fun with it can have wondrous results.