Thanks

Question Looking for something to do in SF May 19/20

Gonna be in San Fransisco to see a concert on Wednesday the 18th (Mike Patton is THE SHIT), then I'll be hanging around SF until Sunday afternoon. I'm wide open on the 19th and 20th, and would love to do/see something art related. Manley said he's been up to his chin in all things Austin, so the only thing he could think of was to check out the Shooting Gallery.

I'd be down for whatever- getting a group together to draw, going to some inspirational show... anything. I'll consider all recommendations (provided they're relatively sane and/or worth doing). I'll be sans vehicle, so I'm dependent on public transport while I'm there -but then again I might rent a car.

BTW: Those who don't know me: I'm part of the old crew, very inactive on the forums (sorry).

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to feeb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    If I was in SF for a short stay I'd head out to the Legion of Honor. Unfortunately doesn't look like like a great current exhibition but the permanent collection is worth the trip - there is at least one Gerome if not two there. Of course...depends on what you're interested in.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Big thanks for the reply and suggestion, Jeff.

Thanks
    Sure thing feeb - thought of three more possibilities:
    John Pence Gallery
    Also I like to visit the Pampanito submarine and/or the Jeremiah O'Brien when I'm in town - for texture and reference photography.
    Or visit Stout's Books...if, you know, you want to kill 6 hours and a few hundred bucks!

I'm three hours north or I'd meet you for some sketching/painting.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Any other venues non-art related? I found a blues club. Anything anyone would recommend. I'd love to know a good bar to go to, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Just bum around Haight/Ashbury which is pretty much the funnest thing to do in SF. You already mentioned the Patton gig which I bet will be... interesting. I might go. Ravi Shankar is playing at Davies Symphony Hall on the 19th which is a beautiful beautiful venue and it'd be cool to see Mr Shankar. And you can do all of the tourist-y stuff as well I guess.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For bars I like a couple out in the Inner Sunset - Yancy's is probably the most social "happening" one out in that neighborhood - I think it's on Judah or Irving somewhere around 10th-11th. The Shamrock is not far from there but only has two dart boards.

Which blues club? Slim's is a great club but it's you know, over near the club scene - such as it is.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Check out Biscuit and Blues on Mason and Geary. Also here's a list of clubs/venues in SF http://sanfrancisco.about.com/od/clu...flivemusic.htm Depending on the weather, you might want to take a ferry or bus over to Marin to do some hiking.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You guys so rock. I'm going to Biscuits & Blues on Thursday to see a Stevie Ray Vaughn tribute. Huge thanks.

I'm still down for meeting artists. It's really nice, however, to see my calendar filling up!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    Just bum around Haight/Ashbury which is pretty much the funnest thing to do in SF. You already mentioned the Patton gig which I bet will be... interesting. I might go. Ravi Shankar is playing at Davies Symphony Hall on the 19th which is a beautiful beautiful venue and it'd be cool to see Mr Shankar. And you can do all of the tourist-y stuff as well I guess.
    I've been to Haight/Ashbury, but just had a meal there, then left. I'll take your advice on bumming around there too.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.