View Poll Results: US comedians or UK comedians?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • US comedians

5 10.87%
  • UK comedians

27 58.70%
  • No preference

14 30.43%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts

Talking Do you like UK comedians or US comedians? :) (for school)

Hey guys, I'm building a website at uni based on this question, and would really appreciate your input for it. Typically, US comedians have a very "larger than life performer" vibe, whereas UK comedians tend to be more subdued and about the everyday person.

This isn't always the case, but 'typically' it is. It'd be great if you could leave a reason on your decision too of course. Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Can't help you here :/ But I would take UK comedy movie/show over any US comedy movie/show any day. I think what you said about the comedians applies to the movies too. UK humor is a bit more intelligent and simple (in the good way) I think, while US relies on shouting the jokes in your face. It's still funny, but after a while it gets tiresome. US comedy actors perform with too much over-dramatization, while UK actors seem more relaxed and... I just find them funnier

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    UK comedians hands fucking down. Fill a room with Bill Bailey, Stephen fry and David Mitchell and you'll have some magic.

That's why QI is the best show in the world.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Well, if stuff like Monty Python counts as UK comedians, then yes. Those.
    And like Vari, I'd take UK comedy movie over pretty much any US comedy movie. (Hot Fuzz hell yeah!)

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason. Well, often when I watch US comedies, I just end up feeling (there's a proper name for this in Finnish) "shared sense of shame". A LOT.
    Most of the time when they're supposed to be doing something funny, I just end up feeling embarrassed that someone is even acting that way.
    The only exception is Conan O'Brien.
    Last edited by TinyBird; May 5th, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Only one I can think of in contemporary American humor worth watching is Louis CK. Other than that, hordes upon hordes of British ones. It's in their DNA.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    This is pretty difficult for me, because Larry David and Ricky Gervais are my two favorite comedians... And well, that divides it right down the middle, doesn't it? (despite them both being writers)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    UK comedians hands fucking down. Fill a room with Bill Bailey, Stephen fry and David Mitchell and you'll have some magic.

That's why QI is the best show in the world.
    Agree with all of the above and the Pythons as well, can't beat them. But I also love Bill Hicks and George Carlin too and I recently watched Eddie Murphy being interviewed on Inside the Actors Studio and I have never laughed so much, he's much funnier than I thought.

Thanks
    As far as standup and the like go I have my favourites in both but by far prefer UK comedy series/films.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    There's a lot of great UK comedy, no doubt, but the U.S. is very very rich in quality talent. I mean, if you're going to include Python, might as well include Steve Martin, Jonathan Winters, Richard Pryor, Louis CK, Jim Gaffigan, Norm MacDonald, Jerry Seinfeld, Don Rickles, Bob Newhart, Larry David, Tina Fey, Red Foxx, Nichols and May, Cheech and Chong, Zach Galifinakas, everybody who works with Judd Apatow, the entire writers room for Sid Caesar (Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Carl Reiner)... I mean the list just goes on and on.

EDIT: Mitch Hedberg, Brian Regan, Bill Cosby, Gene Wilder, Sarah Silverman, Kevin Meany, Steven Wright, Robert Smigel, Christopher Guest, Bob Zany, Andy Kaufman, Dom DeLuise, Madeline Kahn, Patton Oswalt, Richard Belzer, Fred Willard, Dennis Miller, John Stewart, Steve Colbert, Michael Keaton, Rick Overton, George Carlin, Steve Carell and hundreds of other improv talents coming out of Second City through the years (Bill Murray, John Belushi, Robert Klein, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner, Alan Arkin, etc.)

Incidentally, can anybody tell me whether Karl Pilkington is actually a deadpan comic genius, a half deadpan comic genius half idiot, or a full on simpleton?

EDIT 2: That video discussing the turtle: For me, two or three minor laughs, but not actually funny funny, nor very original or witty original in terms of comedy. When my funny friends and I get together, something like that sequence of jokes would be considered lame because there's too much effort and nobody hits the comedy homer. Its a collection of singles and bunts. (Just my opinion.)
    Last edited by kev ferrara; May 6th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Incidentally, can anybody tell me whether Karl Pilkington is actually a deadpan comic genius, a half deadpan comic genius half idiot, or a full on simpleton?
    The joke with him is he is actually that thick, but Ricky Gervais's career is based on 'pretend reality' so who knows. Karl did a show here where he tried to evaluate intelligence and interviewed people like Will Self and David Icke for a documentary called 'Satisfied Fool'. Will Self got so frustrated with him he demanded he leave his house. You can see it all here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdm...-fool-part_fun

As for comparing US or UK comedians, you either find things funny or you don't I suppose. I loved Bill Hicks, but he was a US comedian who was frustrated he wasn't appreciated by his own country. Tim Minchin is great, he's Aussie/Brit. But there's real gems to be found outside the mainstream. As for QI, the programme is gold!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Uk by far.
    Good example is series The Office, done by Ricky Gervais, and same series for Us market done by same man but with different actors

M

Thanks
    One of my favourite comedians happens to be Louis CK, but I do know a few American comedians that I stay up on the Comedy channel simply to watch. Also like quite a few UK comedians - hell, there's hordes of them. In the end, no real preference. It's just a case of whatever happens to float my boat at that particular time.
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    I don't think I know any British comedians. At least by name.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Fist of all, although I'm a ridiculous anglophile, I reject your basic premise.
    Secondly, anybody at all interested in the craft of comedy should be listening to What The Fuck.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Where you talking about comedians doing stand-up, or situational comedies, or romantic comedies or comedic movies, etc...?
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mitch Hedberg was a true gangsta. and ill take the no preference button : )

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDrunkSniper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wherever Brian Regan is from.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ludic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If I could get past your incessant need to spell color with a U, untill then USA USA USA.

Patton Oswalt makes me poo myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,738 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFreeze View Post
    If I could get past your incessant need to spell color with a U,
    There is a lot of mileage to be had from the difference from American & English.

I went outside to smoke fag while contemplating which rubber to use on my masterpiece. Going commando (without pants) gave me ample chance to play pocket snooker (that's a guys only joke).

Thanks
    The UK definitely has a lot of great stuff coming out of the works, but I think there are a lot of awesome American comedians as well, so I'm indifferent.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 6,738 Times in 4,642 Posts
    I like both. They're different and I can't choose. The US ones are mostly in your face, while the UK ones are more subtle. There's a place for both.

Then there's Ken Dodd.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    For anyone interested in keeping up to date with British comedy: tours, shows, reviews and a list of acts, then Chortle is a great resource:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyskoa View Post
    Only one I can think of in contemporary American humor worth watching is Louis CK. Other than that, hordes upon hordes of British ones. It's in their DNA.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrunkSniper View Post
    Mitch Hedberg was a true gangsta. and ill take the no preference button : )
    Mitch Hedberg's name came to mind right away as a fantastic U.S. comedian.

R.I.P Mitch.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Where you talking about comedians doing stand-up, or situational comedies, or romantic comedies or comedic movies, etc...?
    I assumed stand up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Flashback: Comedians doing stand-up. Though it seems people have voted with the other aspects you mentioned in mind too. ^^; It's really just "numbers and comments" to fill the website I'm building with, they don't have to be gospel. And of course it's just interesting seeing what you all have to say on the matter.

Thanks heaps for all the input guys!
    Last edited by BlightedArt; May 6th, 2011 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Don't have a preference. But my current fave is Eddie Izzard.
    "Contrary to the belief of the layman, the essential of art is not to imitate nature, but under the guise of imitation to stir up excitement with pure plastic elements: measurements, directions, ornaments, lights, values, colors, substances, divided and organized according to the injunctions of natural laws. While so occupied, the artist never ceases to be subservient to nature, but instead of imitating the incidents in a paltry way, he imitates the laws."-Andre Lhote

Web, FineArt, Sketchbook

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpacer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No preference here...there are lots of great comedians and comedies on both sides. And lots of terrible ones.

For example, a friend had me watch Karl Pilkington's 'An Idiot Abroad,' and after the 2nd episode of nearly completely humourless whining and Ricky Gervais's over-the-top hyena-like laughter at anything Karl said that could be remotely considered "idiotic," I had to turn it off in disgust.

On the other hand, I found this series (and Charlie Brooker) quite funny, informative, and self-aware enough not to be annoyingly preachy:

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog