Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: -=<<My quest to art and creativity>>=-

Thanks

frustration!

Damn this is so frustrating!

I have imaginary worlds and characters who'd like to get on the paper but my craft is just at the beginning and can't follow my ideas!
    This is a doodle from imagination I created; I could see the earth forming, the "eyes" etc...then I could see the man...he should've been sort of an englishman in elegant suit but somebody else came out.
    Further more I was frustrated because I could see a generic shape and pose of the man sitting there but I couldn't put the details in it...since I still haven't studied anatomy, tones etc....!
    I think I should just have patience..
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    it helps if you look up reference on the net - say search for the objects you need - in theory you could even make a collage of them before you continue.

Often at work that would be our concept - a stampled collage of images with some paint on top to tie everything together.

like so ~ also now you get Stephen Fry and that always helps.

Attachment 1237647

EDIT: OH I was so lazy with the background - shame on me

EDIT2: And well you want to learn to paint and improve all else - but sometimes if you can't yet muster a full character out of mind unto paper, maybe doing it in collage for now to get the idea down is the best solution ~ then later you can fiddle all you want - but you don't want to spend forever and a day on getting the basic idea down unless you are certain that this one would hold water - maybe it don't and you'd rather spend that eternity on something else.

Also at least where I worked this was norm early on to get more ideas down fast - and then would we start sketching on making our own - but the amount of ideas you can get down in a day through google is staggering ~
    Last edited by dan liimatta; May 22nd, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
    SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i always love the fresh smell of new artist`s art work .. its like the smell of new car... i started a year and a half before u.. and i promise u a year from now.. if u continued working this hard.. u will reach great level.. just dont let anything take u away from art..
    i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/salemshanouha

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rain Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dan liimatta View Post
    it helps if you look up reference on the net - say search for the objects you need - in theory you could even make a collage of them before you continue.

Often at work that would be our concept - a stampled collage of images with some paint on top to tie everything together.

like so ~ also now you get Stephen Fry and that always helps.

EDIT: OH I was so lazy with the background - shame on me

EDIT2: And well you want to learn to paint and improve all else - but sometimes if you can't yet muster a full character out of mind unto paper, maybe doing it in collage for now to get the idea down is the best solution ~ then later you can fiddle all you want - but you don't want to spend forever and a day on getting the basic idea down unless you are certain that this one would hold water - maybe it don't and you'd rather spend that eternity on something else.

Also at least where I worked this was norm early on to get more ideas down fast - and then would we start sketching on making our own - but the amount of ideas you can get down in a day through google is staggering ~
    Thanks those are really great suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Walker View Post
    i always love the fresh smell of new artist`s art work .. its like the smell of new car... i started a year and a half before u.. and i promise u a year from now.. if u continued working this hard.. u will reach great level.. just dont let anything take u away from art..
    That's a good boost for motivation, thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    np - just weed out what you don't like as I have a tendency to ramble ~ gl with it all and I'll try to drop by from time to time.
    SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

Thanks
    I haven't been drawing for quite a bit, 4-5 weeks.

Anyway I'm back again still studying anatomy; I've temporarily suspended my Nicolaides studies because I felt the need of a more "anarchist" approach.

While I was in vacation I gave birth to this sketch from imagination.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,478 Posts
    First off, it's great you have motivation... you should keep drawing what you like despite anything you hear to the contrary. It will keep you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod.F View Post
    My aim is to be able to master a style which will mix surrealism and realism.

My "self-study drawing" syllabus
    'Kay, I'm going to paraphrase Ron Lemen here... nothing that comes from inside you can teach you any new information. If you want to study drawing, you need new information from outside yourself.

Worked on
    -"Drawing on the right side of the brain" (this really helped me a lot in seeing)

In progress (started on March 2011)
    - "Natural way to draw" K.Nicolaides
    Ugh. You'll forgive me, but those are possibly the worst two books for someone starting out in drawing... ever.

You want to do work from imagination, right? Betty Edwards does not help you at all with that.

You want realism, right? I wouldn't go Nicolaides way, then. His methods may work, but there are better and more efficient ways IMHO.

I did was I let the impulse to make a fast gesture, a scribble a la nicolaides and then it started to form the silhouette. So I constructed it but
    My question here is rhetorical... how can Nicolaides' scribble method help you find forms that you don't understand yet? There's no reason not to study constructional methods first.

Damn this is so frustrating!
    It's because you have misleading and plain bad information (Edwards! IMHO)
    Look at the link in my sig about the "Right Side"...

I have imaginary worlds and characters who'd like to get on the paper but my craft is just at the beginning and can't follow my ideas!
    Drawing is really hard, because it's not easy to encapsulate quickly. There are not just a couple of skills; there are dozens of skills you have to acquire to get proficient at it.

I would suggest trying Ron Lemen's methods. He's a great teacher.

I couldn't put the details in it.
    Don't worry about details. Work from the big, important shapes to the small. Details get in your way. They're the salt, not the meal.

I think I should just have patience..
    Cannot be understated. Yes!

Anyway I'm back again still studying anatomy;
    Anatomy is a bit advanced for you at this stage. I would suggest studying how to draw simple shapes, because what you'll end up drawing is simple shapes that make up complex shapes. Then you'll learn how to project them in 3D; then you'll learn how to light and shade them.

THEN, the anatomy books will start to make more sense to you.--especially Bridgman.

I've temporarily suspended my Nicolaides studies
    Oh, go ahead and make that one permanent

because I felt the need of a more "anarchist" approach.
    LOL! I always thought that Nicolaides tried to come off as an arrogant anarchist in his book.

But seriously, you need basic instruction if you're going to learn the craft...

There is really good basic information available. Ron Lemen is a great place to start.

Try this page for some good overviews. Then set up a schedule for yourself and practice like crazy!

Good luck!

Finally, if you like realism/surrealism... check out Todd Schorr's work
    http://www.toddschorr.com/Paintings/index.html
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p sage View Post
    Anatomy is a bit advanced for you at this stage. I would suggest studying how to draw simple shapes, because what you'll end up drawing is simple shapes that make up complex shapes. Then you'll learn how to project them in 3D; then you'll learn how to light and shade them.
    Thanks for all your suggestions!

I'm working on anatomy following a direction of a friend of mine.
    He is an animator and he told me to work immediately on anatomy because it'll teach me all the underlying concepts of perspective, rendering and forms in an intuitive manner.
    That's where my focus on anatomy comes from

I'm also adding some pics of random studies i've been doing in the last months. They are average quality because I took em with a camera, my scanner is not working at the moment, but they should give you an idea of where I'm going!

Thanks
    Great studies!Keep it up and you'll level up pretty soon xD

Thanks
    Here studying head anatomy, planes and a bit of facial features; I used very light lines and I tried to increase tone in PS but a lot of lines aren't visible unfortunately.
    Last edited by Rod.F; August 26th, 2011 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks

Thanks
    I strongly recommend studying gesture and form before studying anatomy or at least simultaneously but that's just me...keep up the good work

Thanks
    I've stopped drawing for quite a bit... around 3 months, I had quite a tough time at work but I'm back totally motivated!

-=<<My quest to art and creativity>>=-

-- Quick sketch at the beach

-- Quick sketch of my wife

-- From comics

Finally doing something which I've always wanted to do and stopped doing since I was 10: drawing bulky heroes !

-- From imagination

Trying to draw a back view from imagination

-- From imagination

I was scribbling and made a quick line of action that suggested me to draw this woman, from imagination too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast