Fall 2012 CA.O Scholarships for Creature Designers to The Art Department
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,606 Times in 2,213 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Fall 2012 CA.O Scholarships for Creature Designers to The Art Department

ConceptArt.Org is proud to present three new scholarships for artists in the community who are looking to go to art school. These scholarships are merit based and are specifically for new incoming art students who excel in the areas of creature design/entertainment design.

Things like creatures, ambient creatures, boss monsters, aliens, and non human life-form design are what this is all about. If that is your area of interest and you are looking to earn your way into school the following scholarships are available.

a. 1 Full-Ride Tuition Scholarship
    b. 1 Half-Ride Tuition Scholarship
    c. 1 Quarter-Ride Tuition Scholarship.

Interested applicants may submit their portfolios as replies in this thread and must apply and be accepted into The Art Department via the application process on www.theartdepartment.org . The scholarship application deadline will be July 30th 2012

These scholarships are merit based and for the school year beginning this fall 2012. Both digital and traditional media are acceptable. Both digital and traditional media are acceptable.

Much thanks to TAD, it's incredible faculty, and to the ConceptArt.Org community, for without this worthy opportunity would not be.

Best of luck to all who apply!

Jason Manley
    President
    ConceptArt.Org
    TheArtDepartment.Org
    Founder/Owner/Director
    Brilliant Colors (formerly MB Shanghai)

Last edited by TAD Admissions: Scott Richeson; May 31st, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio for Creature Design

Very interested in scholarship for creature design! So I hope I post my interest correctly.

Without a doubt, my avenue in illustration would be creature design. Although always loving drawing monsters and dinosaurs, I became passionately interested in this while studying zoological evolution, which the details and explanation of animals, 'why' and 'how' was extremely interesting to me.
    Making my own creations and problem solving with an educated logic is an extremely fun challenge to me and can't imagine being happier doing anything else.

If this avenue of work did not exist, without any doubt: I would be advancing towards a doctorate in zoology.

Thanks for the opportunities you have provided us many artists!

Here is a section of my portfolio, I hope it appears properly

#1 A collection of animal life drawings, while self educating, this is what I spend most of my time drawing, I feel it is important to have a strong understanding of what life already exists to make a creature 'believable'
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  513.9 KB

#2 A collection of ideas for a large beast to fit in short story
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  360.2 KB

#3 Experimenting by making a scene using previously designed creatures
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  508.0 KB

#4 A sketching exercise I often do to prep before a night of drawing
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  383.7 KB

#5 A variety of concepts for unfamiliar plants
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  492.8 KB

#6 A mock book promotional poster, playing on the human skeleton. Inspired by old style anatomical drawings
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  389.7 KB

#7 A painting with the goal for the viewer to ask questions or try to make up their own reason. My favorite part is the 'creature' using wolves and corpses as armor.
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  447.4 KB

#8 One stage of a 'creature' from a short story I had writtenName:  5.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  341.2 KB

#9 Using my love for animals, going for a different style and tone,Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  453.6 KB

#10 At the end of a long day of making insurance software, this kind of image I enjoy to draw the most, big monsters. In this case, a sad scene with baby-snatchers.
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  403.6 KB

Thanks!

[edit] changed #9 to #10, added #9(just noticed this did not get listed)
    end

Last edited by Trollsmith; June 2nd, 2011 at 08:34 AM.

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,606 Times in 2,213 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This has been updated for 2012. Hope to see you there!

Jason Manley

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brooke - scholarship application Fall 2012

Hello,

My name is Brooke and i'm going to be applying for TAD, Entertainment Design 2D, for Fall 2012. However, it's not viable for me to attend unless I manage to get some kind of scholarship, so here's hoping and praying with all my might that you'll see my potential and that i'll be considered for this creature design scholarship!

To become a professional creature designer working on films and tv shows is my ultimate dream - in order to achieve this dream, I know I need to develop my fundamental skills further and draw, draw, draw! I've been lucky enough to have had a chance at working within the entertainment industry in a junior design position and this has spurred me on even more than before to boost my work up to the next level.
    I'm an extremely motivated person and am determined to achieve my goals. I've spent the past year or so teaching myself how to use ZBrush to visualise some of my designs in 3D, but i'd love to pursue the 2D entertainment design pathway with TAD as I believe drawing skills are essential. I've also been studying anatomy from books and in museums, trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can in order to facilitate creating believable designs.
    I'm currently working full time and studying part time online with Academy of Art, but i've made the carefully considered decision to apply to TAD full time to spend a solid 30 months really getting my skills honed and building my confidence in my work.

Below is my original concept sketch for the above piece

A work in progress:

Some non creature-related work:

There are additional images i'd absolutely love to be able to show for this application, but I won't be allowed to show them until the programs air at the end of the year.

So, fingers crossed extremely tightly that i'll be able to join everyone at TAD in Fall 2012!

All the best,

Brooke

Last edited by Kitterfly; April 30th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 21