Sketchbook: Tora's sketchbook threadamajig - NEED YOUR HELP TO IMPROVE!!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tora's sketchbook threadamajig - NEED YOUR HELP TO IMPROVE!!!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this place, but have known about it for quite a few years now. I've honestly been terrified of registering because I know you guys don't look too fondly on anime style, and I've been trying for a long time to break out of it.

I've recently hit a sort of "epiphany" with regards to that, and my humans are finally starting to look distinctly not-very-anime. Or at least, that's what I hope. So I plucked up some courage a decided to finally make a thread here. I would appreciate some concrit, I'll try not to cry too much...

I know I still have a lot of areas to work on, like eyes and hair and probably faces as well, but this is what I have so far. I also really need some help on how to make my people look more distinctive, I'm kind of stuck into one face shape and it's really quite annoying.

(eurgh the forum doesn't resize images automatically? I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I upload)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Toraneko; May 3rd, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to keep bumping this until I get a response. :V

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff so far bro. i know wat u mean with the anime style. alot of people do dislike it, but if you really want to do anime, dont worry about wat people think. although doing alot of experimenting will get u introduced into different styles anyway, and u will be able to develop your own style
    i like those facial expressions, too.
    - if u want to improve quickly, i suggest maybe doing some anatomy studies, or life drawings, or just drawing from life / photographs. Hope to see wat u come up with ay!
    - - cya

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting style. You seem to have a decent grasp on how hands work, but the fingers still seem melted together.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyrion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments everyone! I really do appreciate it.

@Sean - Interesting suggestion, I'll have to keep that in mind next time I paint. I'm currently backed up on schoolwork and commissions so that doesn't leave much time for things that take very long to do, such as painting. /_\

@tronrobot - It's not really that I want to do anime, it's just the style that influenced me the most over the years, especially when I was younger. Now that I'm older and a lot less disillusioned, I really want to expand my style so I'm able to do more than just characters. It's really hard though. ><
    I did recently pick up a few anatomy books, and before that I already started sketching under my sketches with skeletons, but I don't get everything right a lot of the time and I'm still learning.

@cannibal - Thanks! And you are right, I do know -generally- how they work, but I have problems with certain angles. Any advice?

"Stress causes baldness but if you pay too much attention to keeping your stress levels down
    it'll stress you out even more so there's really nothing we can do about it after all."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooo man you got some nice gestures going there. and i love that expression sheet its pure gold. try extending your nice gestures by draeing some full body pics, that way you can practice you anatomy at the same time

"Simon, believe in yourself. Not in the Simon that you believe in, and not in the Simon that I believe in either. Believe in the Simon who believes in you"
    - Kamina, Gurren Lagann

My Sketchbook
    My old Sketchbook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oatestwder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis and posemaniacs, heads from references and nature drawings. It is the best way to improve, because drawing from head you're repeating your mistakes. Nature drawing will help you make better your cartoons. Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hu-ha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there. Glad you finally got the courage to join. Don't be discouraged from drawing anime. I love some good anime (Ghibli ). If you want to avoid the wrath of the anti anime parts of CA, just try to avoid cliches. They hate cliches. With a satanic fury do they hate cliches. If you can watch/read a dozen animes and see a repeating pattern (the similar face problem you mentioned comes to mind) work your ass off to make sure that that element is not prevailant in your art. That should keep the worst at bay, except for trollololols, but theres really no way to avoid them.
    I liked the expression sheet you did, something like that is something they won't hate. I hope to see good things from you soon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MusicMetalHead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like a good start. I know how scary it can be to post where everybody else is so good, and how getting over stylistic habits is really really hard.

Just a minor nitpick, there's sort of a missing shape between the neck and chin on a lot of these... if you feel that weird space with your hand, you can tell it's curved like the brim of a hat turned upside-down, so in profile you see a little sliver of it. The latest batch of heads included that shape... I think in the fourth one over from the top left?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to beejazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help everyone!

@Oatestwder - That's a good idea, I'll have to remember that when I do more leisurely sketching. I usually only draw heads because that's all I have time enough to draw, in between commissions and school work. ><

@hu-ha - Yep I have both of those bookmarked, I intend to print out the Loomis books soon. Sometimes I just want to sit outside and draw people on the street, but I feel awkward about doing it.

@MusicMetalHead - Thanks, I'm not too fond of cliches myself, and since the beginning of this year I've slowly been waning myself off anime. Don't really have the patience to watch it anymore. As I mentioned in my first post I finally figured out how to draw noses un-anime, so that was a big first step in breaking out of it for me.

@beejazz - I know what you're talking about. It's a hard angle for me to grasp, because sometimes I can't tell if I've drawn it right and it just turns out like I hadn't. I am studying a few anatomy books at the moment to try and get more things right though.

Here's some new stuff I did yesterday, after borrowing a few anatomy books from my uni library.

1 - A Wheel of Time character, Lan, as a samurai. Reference was used for pose and clothes. Looking at it again now I feel like maybe I made his hairline too high.
    2 - Two characters I doodled just to practice the "face planes" method of drawing the face. I'd read a little about it from one of the Loomis books, and one of the books I borrowed yesterday expanded a little more on it. Gotta go back and read the Loomis one again.

"Stress causes baldness but if you pay too much attention to keeping your stress levels down
    it'll stress you out even more so there's really nothing we can do about it after all."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did more figure and anatomy studies today. Didn't have a reference for this, everything came completely from my head. >.> Will do one with a reference next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool style man, nice proportions, and expressions, you said your stuck with the same face shape, that might be because you are used to draw anime style, and almost every head in anime is the same shape, so try to play with proportions of jaw and face planes, and facial features

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jeso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if u use a formula to make your heads. review it. Why dus it look, the way it does. Do u purposely draw an oval first? do u make sure the eyes is roughly placed 1/2 way down the face? little things like this, will influence your head design. Review loomis for tips on a 'realistic' formula. Or review Stan Lee - for a comic book type heads.

Always be open to learning new formulas, since as an artist, keeping the same style will only limit yourself.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SSquir33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I have a bunch of deadlines on assignments coming up and haven't had time to do much studying for this. Here's two of my recent stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I put the "pro" in procrastinate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few headshots of characters from my comic that I'm continuing work on after a hiatus.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.