Thanks

Any other Canadians freaked out by all that blue?

Came home to find Harper won a majority, and I died a little inside-- just wondering how other Canadians are reacting? Happy? Concerned? Terrified?
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I am a little confused. I just finished voting a few hours ago, do they count up the votes so fast?

It was my first time.

EDIT:
    I just figured out the answer to my confusion. Sorry for embarassing myself
    Last edited by Pavel Sokov; May 3rd, 2011 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Please explain the word "Canadian"
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Don't worry about it, especially if it's your first time. This time preliminary results were leaked early by the CBC accidentally.. but those results basically said it all. A conservative majority, an NDP minority, and the Liberals and Bloc practically wiped off the map-- I never though I'd ever see results like this. O_O
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Meh, I got to help vote in Elizabeth May!

Thanks
    I support NDP, so im happy for the party's gains but Harper is so greasy, look at some of the crap he pullshttp://www.examiner.com/canada-headl...n-election-day

Canada's political scene is looking more like the harsh divides in the US, its depressing.
    Check out my Sketch Book here
    Crits always welcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    I won't lie, I'm contemplating slapping my province upside the head with a rolled-up newspaper, one conservative voter at a time. Still, living in Alberta I've gotten used to disappointment.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    My region stayed Liberal since our MP is a trusted veteran of the game, but I'm still in shock how badly the Liberals did in the GTA region even though a lot of them were thought to be lock-ins. It contributed to a huge amount of seats for the Conservatives.

Still, I think if Harper does anything really stupid in the next few years, it will only fuel the NDP momentum and Layton might end up taking over. It's just shocking how well they did this time around.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    I'm not too familiar with Canadian politics... Is Harper like George Bush or something? Because a lot of people seem to hate him or at least discuss as of late him in a negative light.

Thanks
    @ Velderia
    Harper is like a smarter more evil and devious George bush which imo makes him far scaryer

@Alex
    I really think the more moderate and center left vote in Canada is really suffering from a constant vote split between the NDP and liberals. Both partys arent so different and ensure at least some of the votes are wasted. Just imagine the different outcomes in the close races of this election, if u added the Liberal votes to the NDP votes i bet there would be far fewer conservatives elected. I think i would be happy to see the 2 parties come to an agreement and voltron their way to power.
    Check out my Sketch Book here
    Crits always welcome!

Thanks
    Yeah, I agree. The parties aren't really far apart at all and Layton had a magnificent campaign compared to Ignatieff. I guess people ended up choosing the orange this time around and possibly in the future unless Liberals can get somebody better than Ignatieff and Dion.

The only problem with this logic is that why would the GTA region defect from Liberals to Conservatives. It's something like 30/44 of the seats are Conservatives when, years ago, it would be mostly red.

It seems most of the Liberal MPs winning had little to do with Ignatieff so much as them being much more experienced in that region like Bob Rae. Still, there were so many veteran Liberal MPs who got annihilated around here. Hell, my region's MP won by a much closer margin than ever before.

Whatever, let's see what Harper will do with a majority government. At least there won't be another election every other minute.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxide-0 View Post
    I really think the more moderate and center left vote in Canada is really suffering from a constant vote split between the NDP and liberals. Both partys arent so different and ensure at least some of the votes are wasted.
    Yes. It was better when the right was split between Conservative and Reform. Then the reasonable people with conservative fiscal policies voted Conservative and the nutfuck crazy Western Separatists voted Reform. This was a perfectly good arrangement. But now there is only one choice for the right so if they want a balanced budget they have to take the crazy along with it.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    I'm not thrilled that the Conservatives got in. But I'm happy that it's a majority parliament. At least now we can get down to business without the fear of another election every two years.

As for the Liberals, just check out their last term in office under Chretien. If they've been wiped off the political landscape, it's their own fault. The Bloc, seriously, I live on the west coast of BC, I really don't care about their future too much. No offense to Duseppe (sp?); as it turns out he was the one candidate with the most political experience of them all and he at least spoke his mind. But the Bloc agenda just seems overly narrow.

Ultimately, I'm happy with what happened with the Greens. It's the way I voted and one day, they will surprise a lot of people, I think
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    Well, just to provide a dissenting opinion, let me say that I am delighted that:

• The Conservatives finally have a majority
    • The Bloc Quebecois was annihilated
    • The Liberals took a massive and humiliating downsizing

Yes, Jack Layton ran a powerful campaign and deserves his success, but the NDP is a vastly different party today than it was on Sunday, and four years is a long time.

Let the squeeking begin!
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Hydro = electricity
    Loonie = 1 Dollar
    Tim Horton's = explosive diarrhea to come
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    im conservative, i'm happy. Harper supports the economy and thats what needs be helped. In the long term, that will help canadian families. He's the only one i would trust with a majority. Im happy the bloc failed too.

Thanks
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    Really, what gets me is that the Conservatives managed to inherit a budget surplus from the Liberals and turn it into the biggest debt in Canadian history while cutting social programs and funding for the arts. If Canada is going to be in debt up to its asscheeks then I want some fucking nice stuff to account for it. I want dental coverage and education funding and a giant penis-shaped tower in Ottawa that occasionally walks around stomping things.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    The penis tower does sound intriguing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    If I were in politics I'd have it built and wave it at the US occasionally just because. We'd be known internationally as "those dicks up North."

You guys should totally elect me.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    Then come visit scenic Ypsilanti, Michigan. This wonder of architecture and engineering is just across the street from the campus of Eastern Michigan University! In asking directions citizens in nearby Ann Arbor will ask if they need to go to the right or the left of the penus tower, and really, who can blame them?

But to get back on topic I've read that the new Canadian PM is like George W. Bush, minus the warmth and intellect. Yikes!
    "Three's so little room for error."--Elwell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Since when did George Bush have intellect?

BA-ZING!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    If I were in politics I'd have it built and wave it at the US occasionally just because. We'd be known internationally as "those dicks up North."

You guys should totally elect me.
    Vineris for Prime Minister!!!!!

Thanks
    not so sure about that logic there about the deficit. I think the conservatives did an decent job. The liberals got the surplus on an economic high and the conservatives got a deficit on an economic low. Nothing to do with the parties, it's just that the whole world was doing alright when the liberals happened to be there. In the deficit from 2008+, canada escaped with the best economy of anyone. I believe it was partially luck, but also conservatives did a lot to keep our economy running better than any other country. Yes, we do have a deficit, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hinman View Post
    Then come visit scenic Ypsilanti, Michigan. This wonder of architecture and engineering is just across the street from the campus of Eastern Michigan University! In asking directions citizens in nearby Ann Arbor will ask if they need to go to the right or the left of the penus tower, and really, who can blame them?

But to get back on topic I've read that the new Canadian PM is like George W. Bush, minus the warmth and intellect. Yikes!
    I've been here three years and I've never seen the Penis Tower...time to drive on over. All I ever see is the Ann Arbor water towers.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ThabisoMhlaba For This Useful Post: