Sketchbook: Lerbia's Sketchbook
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lerbia's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lerbia's Sketchbook

Hello everyone. I'm Lerbia and I'm an aspiring artist. Before I post some samples of things I've done, I'll let you know a little about my own artistic journey.

I used to draw a lot when I was younger but I sort of neglected it for many many years. In the meantime, I draw maps a lot because I love maps as a visual medium for presenting information. They are such a lot of fun.

A year or so ago, I resolved to buy a graphics tablet because I wanted to be able to draw well. I also wanted it to try and improve my maps too. I spent a solid few months learning all the functions of photoshop so I was better able to use it (with good results regarding my cartography!). And in order to get used to using the tablet, I signed up to an online game that's no longer up called Broken Picture Telephone (I realized there was a sort of disconnect when I first acquired my tablet that my brain needed to adjust to and the game was a great way of fixing it!).

Anyway, I've been slowing working my way through various tutorials, trying to improve my art ever since but I often have motivation issues and I also don't know any other artists, sadly. I'm also a writer (a much better writer than artist) but I keep wanting to draw the things I write about so that is something of a driving force for it. I found this place after someone linked me to that Journey of a Rookie Artist thread and I found it incredibly inspiring!

So, enough rambling. Here are a few things so you can see the stage I'm at. I know I need to do more still life drawings though so I need to work on that.

*edit* Can someone tell me how to make these attached images into thumbnails?

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Lerbia; May 2nd, 2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Question!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lerbia, welcome
    Seems that we kinda have the same "problem" regarding motivation, so I befriended you, hopefully we can watch each other's back.
    I really liked your apple, it's beautiful, congrats. Keep it up!

Please, check my SKETCHBOOK and leave feedback. I want to improve!
    "Little by little, one travels far."
    - J. R. R. Tolkien
    -----
    Don't forget to check their sketchbooks as well:
    Aragah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, guy.Very glad you established this sketchbook.
    The apple is good.Looks like very tasty.
    Keep up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou both! I'm trying to reverse my motivation problems. I keep aiming for one sketch a day at least. Really, most of that should be still life and human anatomy practice I suspect (I am terrible at drawing people and up until a year or two ago, I believed it wasn't possible for me to learn how).

Mostly, I'm still exploring this community but it's sort of huge and overwhelming and the amazing talent of people here is inspiring and intimidating at the same time.

That apple was from a tutorial I followed and I'm so pleased at how it turned out. Then I did a pear using what I learned from the tutorial but it didn't turn out so well.

Still, I was bad today and I tried to draw a golden "archery" trophy so it is mostly imaginative. I've recently begun using Paint Tool SAI though instead of photoshop and I find it produces better lines and it is easier to blend. Anyway, here it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did this one fairly quickly because I have to leave soon, but I'm trying to stick to my at least one drawing a day thing. Some still life (oh my, product placement!) of a can. I messed up the top bit because the shapes were more complicated than I first thought. I I think I'll attempt another can in the future so I can see how much I've improved.

Getting more and more used to SAI though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start! Lets see more! = )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been busy although I didn't always meet my one-a-day target. Mostly just practice sketches and things, nothing great. Or I didn't finish them.

I finished this one tonight though. I did it in Paint Tool SAI and then finished it in Photoshop. I need more practice painting colours. Although this isn't a still-life or anything, it's for something specific so I have an excuse!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.