Thanks

Lightbulb Post things you've made

While pretty much anything you make can be considered art, I'm referring to the stuff you wouldn't normally see here on CA. Your carpentry, your ghetto camera rigs, your ironworks, your sewing, your LEGOs, your whatever else you can think of. I love seeing stuff people have built or created with their own hands!
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This is a cutting board I found at TJ Maxx for $7.00. It's made of bamboo so it's pretty solid. I took the trucks off my old junk longboard and mounted them on the cutting board to make myself a little humu like the one Longboard Larry offers. I drilled the holes wrong the first time, so I had to redrill, haha. I suck. Anyway, it works just fine for what it is! I'm really enjoying it.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just for fun once, I decided to make a semiautomatic rubberband gun. Never finished it because some of the finer parts kept breaking. I'm not terribly good at woodworking.

Anyway, here are some old pictures. Sorry about the quality!
    Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clean3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,723 Times in 4,629 Posts
    Time to photo jumpers I've knitted, dressed I've designed & sewn, coving I've put up, cross stitch & needlepoint pictures I've done. This is some of the stuff I was doing when I wasn't drawing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Probably not what you had in mind, but I blame this thread for getting me back into this little hobby. And I'm happy I did.

These two videos are fine, but anyone who looks at my account SHOULD NOT wear headphones.

Here's one of my older ones that I still like.

Last edited by Psychotime; May 4th, 2011 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    This is the art table I made. I used a hand saw, haha. It was a pain and I learned that I'm not a natural born carpenter. But while my table may be a bit of an eye-sore, it's functional enough and super sturdy. And it was fairly cheap to build. If I remember correctly, I think it's 4' x 7'
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    That's a real man's table right there!

A few years ago I made a bench for my parents' garden out of two oak railway sleepers. All I did really was cut one of the sleepers into three pieces and used them as the legs to go under the other one attached with some counter sunk coach bolts. I had much grander designs than that but upon realizing how inappropriate my handsaw was for munching through old oak I decided to simplify. I did shape the top of the seat sleeper by setting fire to it and letting coals burn away at it for a few hours.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I didn't necessarily make all this from scratch but I did rebuild 3 Pontiacs back into one. 2 were hit by things like a train and the other a semi, I used a newer engine and transmission from a 2002 Grandam GT heres some older pictures. The wing is one I made and the vents are off a Z34 cut into the hood. It looks considerably different now though
    Attachment 1243030
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

Thanks
    Last year I carved an elephant out of a bar of Ivory soap. It was the first thing I'd ever carved, so I was pretty proud of it.
    eat-drink-fuck-draw-sleep. repeat.
    Every critique helps me improve! Have a look at my sketchbook, it won't take long.

It is well with me only when I have a chisel in my hand.
    -Michelangelo

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SDNolan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Omh, ma Im all about "I can make that cheaper and to my own specifications damn it!" because im always broke, but still want stuff! I usually manage to cobble togheter something reasonably functional, but as you, i have no woodworking skills or the correct tools, shit gets glued on and then broken off and re-glued, re drilled, hacked at, sawn, cut, glued again etc.They may not be pretty but hey, I like em!
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to timpaatkins For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    My cheap $40 violin broke so I turned it into a clock.
    Post things you've made

Later I needed a clock for my living room so I made this one out of the matting from a picture frame and a set of clock parts. And a CD.
    Post things you've made
    My Sketchbook

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    oh, oh, I wanna play!

I was tinkering with Polymer clay, kneading it to soften it up, some 10-12 years ago, and all of a sudden I started seeing all kinds of faces in the fold of the goo... so I madfe a series of goofy monsters from the clumps of folded clay.
    Last pic is one of the early critters I tried to make with polymer clay (no sculpture or figure training here).
    Here are a few:
    Last edited by Conniekat8; February 26th, 2012 at 07:13 PM.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    I love seeing things peeps make

Timpaatkins I like your style! and the combined artbox/easel, that's ace! I need something like that

Here's a few things I've made, I've knitted and sewed loads more stuff but never really take photos...

A bag I knitted for a friend, just made it up as I went along, it was quite popular and it withstood alot of use...she was pleased with it, yay!

Attachment 1246553

Pinstriped flares I made for my boyfriend which he loves

Attachment 1246554

And I didn't really make it but I measured and sawed the wood and they haven't fallen down yet (that's a lie, the bottom one I had to put up again after it came off the wall and narrowly missed my monitors..phew) but this time it's stayed up!

Attachment 1246555

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Don't wear headphones!

The last one was so much fun. I'm actually pretty proud of the result. It's got alot more structure and better pacing compared to a good chunk of the stuff I just jumble together.

Truth be told, I need to really put more time into them in order to be up there with my favorite ytpoopers. Usually when I make a poop, I just pick a source and just roll with it for a couple hours and then count it as "finished" when I run out of ideas, regardless if the pacing is uneven or the timing is off. The new one I let stew for a few days before I finally said "done", and I need to do that more often for the sake of quality.

Helps when the source itself is something to laugh at on it's own.

I think I could go into making this my niche. Most poopers don't seem to touch this kind of stuff unless it's an abomination like Soulja Boy or relates to Snoop Dogg (so they can shoehorn in Nate Dog's one line).
    Last edited by Psychotime; October 20th, 2011 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 776 Posts
    Here's a stand I made for our new telly.
    We don't have a fire place in this room so I figured it needed a hearth type focus so I designed this.
    It's essentially two end forms connected by the shelves in the middle all locked in place by those 'bow tie' pieces you can see on the top.
    The two woods I used were Ash and Walnut.

The thing is... I think it looks better without anything on it - i.e. as in the first photo!

Attachment 1347291

Attachment 1347293
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Woah. ^^

Here is my bed/desk out of wood and masonite.
    Last edited by Samuel Gray; October 20th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samuel Gray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    its amazing how you can create something with the most simple stuff you have. in the picture there is a strawberry, a blueberry, a bee and a snail. Done with dublos
    Post things you've made

Thanks
    Fantastic thread! Ready to go home and take my camera to my jewelries

Thanks
    I may or may not occasionally be known to sew cute stuffed animals when I'm not sculpting monsters. Maybe.

This is Trellia the "future dolphin" from the game Ecco: The Tides of Time
    Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

34. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGoldfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My new high quality homemade travel sketchbook.

(It may not be fine craftsmanship but it was as cheap as free.)
    My Sketchbook

36. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That is great, what you are doing. I especially like Parsakoiras minimalistic strawberry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manlybrian View Post
    My new high quality homemade travel sketchbook.

(It may not be fine craftsmanship but it was as cheap as free.)
    There's an angelic beauty to this - Botticelli's sketching bible...
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/