Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ding, Dong

Thanks

Ding, Dong

Well Osama Bin Laden is dead! Just heard our ROTC jogging down the street singing and holding a huge American flag. It made me smile.
    Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    It's hard for me personally to rejoice in another person's death; but at the same time it's also a good sense of closure. "Finally". I hope the bullets were painful.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingal View Post
    Just heard our ROTC jogging down the street singing and holding a huge American flag. It made me smile.
    This doesn't make me as happy as it fills me with pity. Never have I seen so many people so happy about someone dying. I saw some footage about a crowd waving their American flag shouting 'USA. USA. USA.' I know you Americans have this sense of justice based around Eye for an eye, but I still don't like the idea that death causes happiness.

EDIT: Yes, I understand and agree that he needed to be prevented from creating further destruction, but at the same time we need to be maintaining our humanity and remorse in performing distasteful actions. We need not adopt the same sadistic mentality as him, otherwise we'll just be no better than he is.
    Last edited by Beeston; May 2nd, 2011 at 11:34 AM.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p sage View Post
    It's hard for me personally to rejoice in another person's death; but at the same time it's also a good sense of closure. "Finally". I hope the bullets were painful.
    Exactly how I feel. I know its wrong but, I do I take joy at the thought of him rotting in hell for all of eternity. Call me wrong or a bad person because of it, but i still feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by damascus57 View Post
    But as for closure, I'm somewhat worried about this. I got this weird feeling in my gut that it's going to get a whole lot worse in backlash to this.
    I'm worried about this too, Osama was just one man and there is still the rest of of his gang out there. But for now I smile.
    Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern

Thanks
    One of the few times I'm really glad someone is dead. Caused my father's company (Delta) to go down tremendously, cut his salary almost in thirds and made life a bit harder. Also, the fact that this radical bastard contributed to the death of thousands.

This won't solve much to be honest, and no doubt the radical Islamic world will be revolting. But AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...h-certificate/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Well as I've read from many people talking about this.
    America isn't the only one who hated him. They've made attacks all over the world.

Its Wikipedia so I'll take with a grain of salt details but you get the gist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...-Qaeda_attacks

Hell probably many more than whats listed there too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p sage View Post
    It's hard for me personally to rejoice in another person's death;
    I openly rejoice, fuck that asshole. I'm glad he's dead.

All these retarded security measures, all the lives lost trying to find him, families broke up in 911. I think its okay to be glad he's gone. We finally got the sucker.
    Last edited by ArtZealot; May 3rd, 2011 at 01:50 AM.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by damascus57 View Post
    This doesn't make me as happy as it fills me with pity. Never have I seen so many people so happy about someone dying. I saw some footage about a crowd waving their American flag shouting 'USA. USA. USA.' I know you Americans have this sense of justice based around Eye for an eye, but I still don't like the idea that death causes happiness.
    He wasn't a freedom fighter. He wasn't a hero. He spent a good chunk of his life dedicated to hatred. Sure, it's not the moral high ground but the world has not suffered a great loss here. And he wasn't just a person, he symbolized something more to many people. The symbol is now gone.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I personally am happy. I was in a military family and Usama caused a lot of fear in all of us. Our neighborhood lost one of our dearest neighbors to 9/11. This guy was awesome, he had barbeque's every weekend in the summer and was one of the nicest guys we all knew. We still miss him.
    Currently, theres some fireworks going on outside and I can hear my neighborhood being all happy.

Thanks
    Personally my blood ran cold when I heard them say he was in Islamabad or Abbotabad-- both are affluent, forward thinking cities where extremism isn't common at all... I mean, just watch the movie "Slackistan--" for christsakes... *shakes head* I just don't want the media to demonize my country anymore. We have enough domestic issues to deal with without becoming international pariahs because one crazy yahoo decided to hide out in the Beverly Hills of Pakistan.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtZealot View Post
    All these retarded security measures,
    Though I wonder how much they'll "ramp up" the security now, in fear of revenge and for how long.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Though I wonder how much they'll "ramp up" the security now, in fear of revenge and for how long.
    haha yeah thats a good point. They'll (the government) will use any excuse they can to tighten up security. I'll probably have a body scanner outside my apartment tomorrow that i have to go through to enter and leave my place.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

or my Artstation

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    What a long wait that was. I watched the correspondents dinner last night and Obama seemed rather cheery. Now I know why. This also will see him re-elected in all likelihood.

To all those who lost someone to the war, to the attacks, to the heinous violence...may you rest in peace and may you or your family feel some small sense of closure.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sadly, we will never know the names of the brave people who made this possible, both intelligence and soldiers... such is the nature of their work. As we stay safe in our homes and draw pictures someone out there is risking their life on a daily basis to protect us.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s.ketch View Post
    The symbol is now gone.
    It's fun to pretend.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlyFreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    One man dying doesn't really make a difference if you ask me. For those who opposed him, yea there's probably some closure to be had. As for his cause, his death is probably just fuel for the fire.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s.ketch View Post
    He wasn't a freedom fighter. He wasn't a hero. He spent a good chunk of his life dedicated to hatred. Sure, it's not the moral high ground but the world has not suffered a great loss here. And he wasn't just a person, he symbolized something more to many people. The symbol is now gone.
    The symbol is gone, but what the symbol stood for is still intact, and it's only a matter of time before something or someone else comes to symbolize it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    feels good man.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    Bin Laden gets bad news on arrival in Hell. The actual Great Satan REALLY pissed off that he's been bandying his name about for years.
    Danny Baker got it in one.

Thanks
    I never expected this to happen, but turns out that it has!

http://www.lp.org/news/press-release...-bin-laden-era
    http://www.lp.org/blogs/wayne-allyn-...-osama-bin-lad

To Damascus & P Sage: I see where you guys are coming from, but something like this was a long time coming.
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph

Thanks
    I'd have preferred to see him captured and put on trial before execution simply because it would have verified his punishment as reality - there's already conspiracy theories about what has and hasn't happened - but the American government has little to gain (more realistically: too much to lose) from lying about this so it's probably safe to accept the official word.

The celebrating in the streets perplexes me. The (under-reported) people sitting reflectively on the pavement with photographs and candles I get, those chugging beer and chanting U-S-A!, I do not. Al-Qaida is a network and an ideology. A corrosive and extreme one. That might (and hopefully will) crumble without its 'charismatic leader' but currently it still exists, and it's still a threat. And these are people who felt it was justified to fly planes stuffed with civilians into buildings without provocation. Talk of symbolism all you like, this hasn't ended the so-called 'war on terror' any more than the falling statue ended the war in Iraq.

I'm all for peace and victory but this feels like it's being accepted as premature and over-simplified.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Edit : I replaced my inane rambling non-english-native speach with words from someone more handy with words than me.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Last edited by talmir; May 2nd, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to talmir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    I'm certainly one of those that is happy about the news.
    I'm not "happy another human being is dead", because as far as I am concerned he was not human. Regardless of your cause, it's not a human thing to do to orchestrate the death of thousands of innocent people because of your beliefs.

I'm not gonna drone on and on about "NEVER FORGET!", but a lot of people *DO* forget in terms of how destructive of a person he was and what he has done for his cause. Not only in the past but surely what he would plan in the future.

The warring and the hate will unfortunately never end, but this man is symbolic for a lot of people. People that actually lost loved ones from the attacks finally get a SMALL bit of closure for what this man (and others like him) stole from them. And while I did not personally lose anyone in those attacks, I am empathetic to their feelings, so I feel much relief for them and for the safety of my own loved ones in hopes that they will never have to suffer the same feelings or fate.

I don't think it's a time to get self-righteous about this, and I see a lot of it online right now. I'm a peaceful person, too, but to try and make people feel BAD for being relieved that such a dangerous man is finally no longer on this planet is a pretty rotten thing to do, imo.

I won't feel guilty about that feeling of relief and I don't think anyone else should either.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Honestly until last night I (and probably a majority of Americans) thought he had died long ago and we'd never know what really happened to him. Gotta admit I was surprised as hell and cheering at the TV when they said they got em. I think a lot of people were celebrating because of that closure, not because we thought we won the war on terror. Hearing he got shot in the head and not just bombed to hell made it even sweeter.

Gives me a warm feeling inside knowing he probably awoke to helicopters overhead and had an "oh shit" moment before he died. Looking forward to seeing his death shot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I'm certainly one of those that is happy about the news.
    I'm not "happy another human being is dead", because as far as I am concerned he was not human. Regardless of your cause, it's not a human thing to do to orchestrate the death of thousands of innocent people because of your beliefs.
    That's entirely human.
    Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MatthewHD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This one death accomplishes nothing. If he'd been killed earlier on, it may(I stress 'may') have reduced the amount of people he's bred and trained in the ten years since the initial attacks.
    The way I look at it, this is just another day in the front row seat of the circus of humanity.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Aleio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHD View Post
    That's entirely human.
    You missed my point, but touche' nonetheless.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    What a long wait that was. I watched the correspondents dinner last night and Obama seemed rather cheery.
    hah, yeah i was thinking about that in hindsight as well. He got some free potshots at trump cause he knew the next day, there was going to be one thing on everyone's mind, and it wasn't obama's birth certificate.

or my Artstation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnookiefoo View Post
    Honestly until last night I (and probably a majority of Americans) thought he had died long ago and we'd never know what really happened to him. Gotta admit I was surprised as hell and cheering at the TV when they said they got em. I think a lot of people were celebrating because of that closure, not because we thought we won the war on terror. Hearing he got shot in the head and not just bombed to hell made it even sweeter.

Gives me a warm feeling inside knowing he probably awoke to helicopters overhead and had an "oh shit" moment before he died. Looking forward to seeing his death shot.
    Same here - Prior to the news of the successful operation and his subsequent death, I was pretty damn convinced that Osama died in the mountains and caves of Afghanistan. Because before the news, I recall he was on dialysis. And you sure as fuck can't afford to be suffering from a loss of Kidney function without some aid, let alone in one of the most inhospitable places in the world to be in, as well as being hunted by the most technologically advanced military in the world, and being pounded by bombs around the clock. So I was pretty damn surprised when I learned of his death in Abbottabad.

Normally, I tend not to celebrate deaths, but news of Osama's demise brought a smile to my face. Last time that happened was when Falwell kicked the bucket.

Burn in Hell Osama (If there is one, but I'm just being metaphorical).
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
    MLK never said that. Fake quote.

Bill'sStudio

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast