Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Kit's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 14 (760/1620)

MusicMetalHead, thank you very much!

---

Bit of Loomis. Simple sphere construction. Finally starting to get how the ellipses work within the sphere and perspective, surprised I didn't fail geometry when I'm this slow to get it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 14 (780/1620)

I was watching Bob Kato's painting demo and just understood what a head gesture is. So here's a quick head sketch before work. Never knew I could be so lose with portraits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww yeah, Loomis! That last portrait piece is pretty awesome too! Love the stylization! Your figure drawings are getting awesome too! I gotta start pumping out more drawings or else you'll keep kickin mah ass!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 14 (830/1620)

Not_Deadman, thanks man!

---

Not a very productive week. Only done some scribbles here and there. Been working but not enough to make it an excuse. Here's an apple from imagination I did to test a new stack of paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man! i think youre doign a great job, and i can really relate to how you feel alot thru this book! i feel the same way constantly, i never seem to learn or improve and i understand things so slow, ive had a mentor giving up on me caus im to slow haha D:

but youre doing great, and seeing your gestures after you digged into villpu is a great change, youre getting much more life into the gestures than before.
    keep studying villpu is my advice, hes great, and if you get a chance, try check his videos out, theyre really good!

youre studies is all good, just dont forget to do alot from your mind too, drawing is all bout having fun, dont forget that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are doing great progress, but I don't undertsnad the latest study. You should add different values to the shapes (in this case darker wall) to seperate them instead of doing that white glow around the apple.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 14 (870/1620)

rumpenstiltzkin, thanks for visiting. Which videos from Vilppu would you recommend?

Axelga2112, the white around the apple is just me playing around with exaggerated atmospheric perspective to push what's front and back. Sure, I could've pushed the values but I didn't want to spend anymore time on the sketch as it served its purpose (testing paper grain).

---

Just scribbling while thinking about stuff. Gesturish stuff, box forms, etc. I know head on the last page is fricking small but I don't care!

Last edited by kitfox; October 26th, 2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Mistakes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 14 (960/1620)

Gesture scribbles from posemaniacs. Lately, I've been feeling like if I dedicate more time on anything, I'll only face disappointments and get depressed. So just trying to stay afloat with the quick scribbles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your gestures are looking better than before, they show the action better and are not stiff, I think using a little bit of cross-contouring over some part of the gestures might help giving them form better
    nice apple there, I really love to see you do an apple study from life
    continue to practice those Loomis head. I like the loose and carefree feel of that portrait you did, though I think the nose have a little perspective problem
    nice job man, keep going !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 14 (1340/1620)

Miss.BonBon, thanks for the tips and for dropping by!

---

I've started to study under Jonathan Hardesty at his online atelier. Hoping I'll be able to build a solid foundation and make some decent portfolio pieces in the process. Currently working on my first Bargue drawing. Not done with the block in yet but I'll post it when I am.

While waiting for Jon's critique, I picked up another block in I did earlier and did some experimenting on rendering as a side project. It's NOT accurate and there are a lot of proportion mistakes compared to the actual bargue reference but I don't care. This was only for the sake of experimentation, so I don't ruin my actual Bargue mastercopy when it's time for rendering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm I'm liking the leg there. You know I've seen a few of these Bargues's around CA but I've never actually looked up what they are. Might just have to do that. Nice stuff Kitfox.

visit my and help me improve

Kitfox Metalhead3 Not Deadman DTP Miss.BonBon OHI Browntear

Do not follow where the path might lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing. - Aristotle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 15 (350/1740)

Trailblazer, Bargues are cast drawings done by Charles Bargue. Traditional atelier apprentices start their studies by making master copies of them. Or at least that's what I'm starting with.

---

Here's some Bargue process shots from the past week or so. The final stage is still in the making so I'll hold on to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow they look like they're coming along really well. The first block in you did looked really light is that part of the work process? I'd love to see a video of some of this in action sometime. Looks very interesting. Keep up the good work mate.

Do not follow where the path might lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh that was called Bargue! very well!keep going dude~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice bargue studies, like the rendering and its soft look, very interesting
    would you explain a little about the process?
    I was always afraid of bargue drawing so never tried them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 15 (360/1740)

focus_light, thanks for visiting!

Trailblazer and Miss.BonBon, the Bargue process starts from placing the plum line (the vertical line). It helps a lot with measuring, and you do it a lot. The first block in should be as simple and efficient as possible. After it's done, you start to slowly block in smaller angles and more detail. Throughout the whole process you need to keep measuring and correcting your proportions so it's important to maintain light touch. After the block in is reasonably accurate and detailed, you lay in a light layer of tone over the shadow areas. If the drawing still holds up together, you can start modeling the darker values, edges and transitions. At this point you'll basically try to polish the drawing to it's final stage. It's not important to nail the exact value you see on your Bargue print, but to nail the value relationships.

Aaron Reid has done a video about the Bargue drawing process. He's one of Jonathan's apprentices and also teaches nowadays.

---

Here's some scribbles so this post isn't entirely without art.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kitfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 15 (440/1740)

Here's the finished Bargue scanned in. Probably not going to make anymore changes to it... Though, there are some slightly uneven areas that I might not be able to resist the urge to fix.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those knight doodles look sick! Lovin the energy! And the barque scan looks really light, but that may be the scanner. The values look pretty damn good though. How long did it take you to make? I hear Barque studies really take a long time, but they really pay off

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 15 (780/1740)

Not_Deadman, I think the Bargue took somewhere around 10-12 hours to do, I wasn't counting too closely.

---

New project underway, haven't received any critique on this one yet because Jonathan has been very busy. So, might end up starting over from scratch as my process on this one is kind of messed up.

The detailed hair section is so hard... The idea was to accurately simplify it but I just couldn't think of a way to do it. So I'm using brute force and just redrawing it over and over again, trying to get it look more accurate each time. I'm sure that is totally not what I'm supposed to be doing but I can't just sit still and stare at it helplessly. Will have to see what kind of feedback I get...

On an unrelated note, we have a couple of spots open in our Sketchbook Support Group. If you would like to apply, send me a PM.

Last edited by kitfox; November 9th, 2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: SSG advertising.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for explaining the process, I have another question, how do you get an even tone? do you use stumps/tissues/Qtips..? or just pencil control?
    and about your last post, the hair definitely looks hard to simplify, I think you didn't do a bad job, maybe after shading it would have the resemblance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bargues are looking good mate. Do you think you're starting to get a better feel for the process now that your a few studies in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 15 (950/1740)

Trailblazer, I've got a vague overall picture of the process, but I still don't know how to properly simplify and estimate proportion in earlier stages of the block in.

Miss.BonBon, to get a tone like I used in my bargue you need to use both pencil and kneaded eraser very carefully. There's no smudging involved at all. The initial lay in of tone doesn't really matter, but it makes the polishing stage easier, if you try to do it very lightly in layers. The polishing stage makes the difference. You'll have white and dark spots all over your tone because of the paper grain. You want to attack the dark spots with your kneaded eraser and fill in the whiter spots with your pencil. You need to have a very sharp pencil point to get into all the valleys in the paper grain.

---

Here's something to accompany the answer to Miss.BonBon.

Some points to notice:

The value gradient, the darkest value you get out of your pencil is not the darkest value you want to work with, because you can't rework the area if you've pressed too hard and damaged the paper grain. You can see the black square over the dark end is quite a bit darker than the value I use in the gradient. Getting very dark values in the final drawing is not important. What you want to nail is the value relationships. That's what makes things look realistic.

Rendering process, stages 1, 2 and 3 don't really matter, as you can see by the two examples I put in. The polishing stage really makes the difference, and even with a very rough initial lay in, you can still end up with quite a nice tone. It does help to do the initial stages very lightly, though. You have less things to fix in the polishing stage.

The small pictures all over, these are examples of what to do in the polishing stage. It all basically boils down very very very lightly filling in, and dragging your pencil around the lighter spots in your tone, and very very very lightly tapping the dark spots to lift some of the value. You can continue this as long as you have patience for, the more time you spend on polishing, the more even tone you end up with.

Hopefully somebody finds this useful.

Oh, and by the way, I had to start the second Bargue from stratch again, so I'll be reposting some of those stages when I get them done.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice thanks for sharing with us. It's an interesting way to work that's for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks a lot for putting the time and effort to make this thorough explanation, it was very helpful. It is interesting to see how you can start roughly and end up with a polished shading. I'm guessing rendering and polishing lighter tones are harder compared to your dark tones
    thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, your cast drawings make me wanna try em... cept I have no cast D: Im gonna try with a good photo ref of a cast drawing so maybe that will work lol... looking forward to the 10-12 hours/lots of work ahahah can't wait to see your next update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where is that Like Button when you really want to use it? I'm going check out the bargue stuff! great sketchbook here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi kitfox, great sketchbook. Really like the Bargue drawings. Your leveling up has inspired me to start my own sketchbook following your chart.

Last edited by browntear; November 13th, 2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: fix grammatical error

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 15 (1380/1740)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

---

Aaaagh! I've been neglecting my sketchbook! I got a new computer and it's been troublesome figuring out all the stuff I need to setup to scan/edit pictures etc. and there's still some things I need to figure out. So sorry for the quality of scans this time. I tihnk the drivers are a bit off... or it might just be that the sketchbook is crappy as it doesn't quite fit into the scanner.

Anyways, some gestures from imagination, inspired by Miss.BonBon's recent update. Trying to imitate the use of cross contours, haha. And some process shots from the Bargue I started again from scratch. I'm missing the first simple stage... it's some where on my old laptop I think, but can't be bothered to search for it.

Anyways, here's the update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Took my time and read through your sketchbook, the amount of studies you've done and discipline you have is inspiring. And the improvement is pretty clear. I got a lot out of that rendering worksheet you put up for the bargue drawing, thanks! And those latest gestures are looking great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those gestures look great! especially that they are from imagination
    I see you got the hang of those cross contour things! the bargue plate you did looks good too, I don't see any mistakes, your eye's are pretty well trained
    keep it up

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5