Sketchbook: Kit's sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Kit's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 10 (680/1140)

Twan, thanks for the paintover. I checked my proportions and noticed my head was a little too short and my legs were noticably too short. Everything else seemed to be in place or close enough, though. Here's the fixed version. I marked down the fixed proportion line and the old one next to it. Also put down my proportional reference points.

The legs are not anatomically correct because I haven't gone over the anatomy on them yet. Should be the next subject on my video course.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate, i can see an improvement in your drawing from the first page. First your lines are looking more confident and neater and 2nd your anatomy has obviously improved. Just keep up the rate of drawing and try and get a few A4 sides of drawing done a day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your torsos are improving fast and they look much more solid and realistic. Keep working and don't give up. I hope you'll find some way to get in to TAD

The Sketchbook
    Sketchbook Support Group Members: kitfox Not Deadman Trailbazer DTP
    Miss.BonBon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 10 (920/1140)

DTP, thanks, I'll keep it up!

metalhead3, thanks! TAD really worries me, though. I haven't found any other school program that interests me but seems like I'll have to delay my plans 'til next Fall... time will tell.

Here come them legs. Only missing the foot from the full anatomical system. The video course is nearing its end. Will have to figure out what to do next... Probably need to get into some illustrative stuff to make a portfolio of some kind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start on the legs. I think you should do several pages of just tons of smallish legs from mind, or look up some reference and do the same.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well those last 3 legs in perspective are just awesome!
    on the other hand, the previous one are weaker. it seems they are not wide enough, check the proportions.

After you finished your course, I advice you not to buy the next riven phoenix courses. His videos are great but anatomy is not your biggest weakness. to my mind, they are a few things wrong about his drawings so you should become independant from it.
    I think you should create illustration, character design,... Therefore you would be able to apply your knoweldge and figure out what's wrong.
    And start using colors! this page explains well how light works http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm
    and on my next post on my thread, I'll explain you my technique for picking the right color

btw, the drawing you corrected is much better now.

Last edited by Twan; August 22nd, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Legs studies look sick! (In a good way) Keep rocking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 10 (1080/1140)

DTP, I'll get to more figure sketching next, to get more familiar with all the concepts I've learned.

Twan, I don't think there's anything wrong with Riven Phoenix's figure stuff. He teaches things as conceptual ideas that can be freely changed around, they're not absolute. So, it's really up to the artist to use the ideas however they please. I'm not doing exact copies of his stuff either, and from here on out especially, I'll try to get into my own style of doing things. And thanks for the color picking advice, much appreciated.

Wanderer_, thanks for visiting!

Here's the conclusion to The Structure of Man, learn to draw the human figure from your mind, training course. Finished the 189 videos of the course. I humbly thank Riven Phoenix for making this course, it has proved very useful for me.

Last edited by kitfox; August 25th, 2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Typos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! Cant wait to see what your post- riven phoenix stuff will look like! Now that it looks like you have a better grasp on anatomy, maybe you should try rendering over it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with not-deadman. Try and render some stuff next and take your time on it and dont rush haha. Good stuff! Thats alot of videos D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, if you don't do exact copies of his work, there's no problem. I thought you did, my bad
    on your last drawing the head is slightly small, and his legs are too big
    keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're clearly taking this anatomy thing pretty seriously. Good for you man, I know it can be a struggle... One day we'll both be experts!

By the way, olen myös suomalainen, mutta en asu suomessa.
    Hyvää päivää.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 10 (1120/1140)

Not_Deadman, thanks! And as per request, I rendered something.

DTP, yup, rendering stuff.

Twan, thanks as always. I have to disagree about my proportion being off on my last drawing, though. I checked and it measures up to my 8-head standard. 8-head tall models aren't exactly natural but they work in artistic sense. And are much easier to construct. The leg muscles might be a little big, but I did that intentionally to have room to show most of the muscles. They're a bit too muscular compared to the rest of the figure, probably. The size of muscles is variable though, so I don't think there's a "right" or "wrong" size to them, as long as they're positioned correctly.

isokarhu, thanks for visiting! Always a pleasure to meet countrymen.

Working through the weekend so not much time to draw. Quick sketch before work, from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you drawing from your mind, an area where I'm sorely lacking. Your work is improving tho I still feel it's a little flat and stiff. Well you can only go up from here. Keep up the good work, gotta push push push you straight into TAD

visit my and help me improve

Kitfox Metalhead3 Not Deadman DTP Miss.BonBon OHI Browntear

Do not follow where the path might lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing. - Aristotle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your drawings are really improving and your learning anatomy in a faster rate than I thought! Try to loosen your figures up a bit, like Trailblazer said, they are a bit stiff. Keep up the hard work!

The Sketchbook
    Sketchbook Support Group Members: kitfox Not Deadman Trailbazer DTP
    Miss.BonBon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice level. lol Love the idea. Want to do it myself XD.

I like your approach to these studies. Perhas you should consider constructing the head andrew loomis style while drawing in all the perspective lines at very dynamic angles. I think you may be having difficulty drawing the head at some angles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 11 (55/1260)

Trailblazer, yeah it's a bit flat, I need to pick up life studies to learn to fake lighting from imagination. The TAD issue is still unresolved... I don't think it's possible to get a scholarship at my level.

metalhead3, I try to work smart so practice pays off faster. Maybe I need to study gesture systems next to loosen up my figures.

Saurabhinator, do it! Anyone's free to take on the leveling challenge. I have some problems constructing heads in extreme angles, but I feel like that's an issue of foreshortening. The way I construct the head is essentially the same way Loomis teaches it. But I understand how being more clear with the perspective lines can help.

---

Didn't have a whole lot of time to draw but I did some head constructing, accepting Saurabhinator's challenge and another muscle study from mind. Maybe the pose is a bit more dynamic this time?

By the way, 100 hours of drawing done, since I started my 10000 hour challenge, hehe. 1% done...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you counting the hours you spend drawing? Whatever it takes to keep you motivated. If it starts to feel like a chore to draw, though, stop worrying about your stopwatch and do it for the love.

Regarding eyes: don't draw eyes. First draw eye sockets. Think about how they fit into the head. Then draw eyelids. Think about how they wrap around eyes and how they connect up to the eye sockets.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice anatomy studies here, and your hard work and dedication to this really shows, especially in your imaginative figures, there's a lot of improvment, i should do some anatomical and figurative studies myslef, but i donno how much i can memorize, that part is kinda difficult keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grats on the 100 hours!
    Watch the arm lenght on #73
    Your anatomy from mind shows how much you have improved though!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 11 (150/1260)

kdiegert, yup, counting the minutes actually. It's just a way for me to keep track of time and progress, not the main purpose. Doesn't drawing start to feel like a chore after having drawn for a while, for the love of it? How exactly are you supposed to flip them around and suddenly start loving it again? Sounds contradictory.

Miss.BonBon, try Riven Phoenix's video courses. It's not that hard to learn to remember the figure.

DTP, thanks!

---

Girl's head from mind. Referencing Hyung-Tae Kim's stuff for head construction and hairstyles. Study of Tetsuya Nomura's character design (Squall, FFVIII). I think I'll have to adjust the contruction proportions of my head design...

Last edited by kitfox; August 29th, 2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Images didn't load...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 11 (300/1260)

Another Tetsuya Nomura study (Yuna, FFX-2). Worked kinda small (original height about 11 cm on paper), so it ended up being a kind of precision drawing exercise. Need to do more clothed figure studies, a whole new step in the drawing process...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 11 (350/1260)

Did something more relaxing for change of pace. Didn't worry about measuring or constructing, just tried drawing what I saw. Nice to draw without thinking too much sometimes. Wish I could draw this fast from mind... Used pixelovely.com's gesture drawing tool for the models.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You like Tetsuya Nomura? This makes us friends then Nice work on the head studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah some good ole Final Fantasy..and is that Squall I spy, 7 and 8 would have to be my favourites. Keep up the good work man. Would be nice to see some render studies, will make your work look cleaner.

visit my and help me improve

Kitfox Metalhead3 Not Deadman DTP Miss.BonBon OHI Browntear

Do not follow where the path might lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing. - Aristotle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey nice updates man, I agree with you that it's sometimes needed to draw without thinking, actually when i draw from imagination it's much easier and more relaxing for me, probably that's why I often end up drawing from mind LOL, though I should try drawing more from refs as you mentioned in my sketchbook
    I suggest trying line variety and weight in your figure drawings, like bolder and thicker lines where the weight is or where that part is in the shadow
    keep drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The stuff drawn without measuring everything is actually really nice.
    Its good to pick up the skill of eyeballing proportions etc.
    Only crit is the lower womans feet are too small. They should be the same size as her forearm (end of heel to tip of big toe) just something to think about and keep in the back of your head when eyeballing good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 11 (485/1260)

Ven S, let's be friends then! I also like other artists at Square-Enix, Yoshitaka Amano and Akihiko Yoshida. Maybe I'm just a Final Fantasy fanboy, haha.

Trailblazer, will have to do some still lifes then.

Miss.BonBon, I'll try to add some lineweight variation as I go along.

DTP, thanks!

---

Aaargh! Frustration everywhere! Hate hate hate feet! Can't even draw simple poses right, gah... Can't concentrate. Sleeping pattern all over the place because of work. Will be out of town for the weekend on a martial arts camp again. My confidence is gone, my drawings are a mess. And I need to get a portfolio done in a month... or not since I still haven't got enough money for school... I suck. Excuses everywhere! Gah...

/end incoherent rant

I'll just leave this here.

Last edited by kitfox; September 2nd, 2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Forgot stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 11 (590/1260)

Not_Deadman, thanks.

---

Hangover day... tried to do something but, meh.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5