Sketchbook: Kit's sketchbook - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

Getting to eye variations, and muscles of the face... again. Out of stamina.

Level 8 (800/900)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lag or bug?

For some reason the latest post doesn't show up, even though the thread was bumped and claims the post did go through... too tired to think about it...

Edit: Guess it somehow fell in between the page switch... Nevermind my rambling.

Last edited by kitfox; July 19th, 2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Rambling, mindless rambling, ignore ignore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level Up!

Skull+muscles turning into a plane template that gets ignored when surface anatomy is all about the bone+muscle structure... Also, went over some feature details before that. I fail at light&shadow...

Level 9 (30/1020)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

Pretty much done with the human head and starting to change the skeleton into a mannequin system.

Level 9 (175/1020)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're improving a lot, man. Last head is really good. Check the proportions on those last mannequins. I think the legs are bit too long.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

ismo, thanks for dropping by. Rechecked the first mannequin proportions and you're right, the legs are a tad too long. Mistake when putting down the initial proportion line. When eyeballing for half point, I often tend to go just a little above. Luckily it didn't hurt much in this case, since it's only a quick conceptual idea. Gotta keep a look out for it when doing more finished stuff, though...

Day off, lots of drawing. Spend a good portion of the day on a still life, uploaded to peer group thread, and continued more anatomy studies... Necks! Necks everywhere! Lots of conceptual things, but also a bit of surface anatomy. My sketchbook doesn't quite fit into the scanner so I have to fiddle with the value ratings, hope things look fine.

Also, water walking is fun.

Level 9 (610/1020)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your sketchbook is awesome! i love the idea of leveling up - I think Ill start as well (: although i haven't really timed how long i draw in the past, so i guess starting from the beginning, but it will be interesting to see how much i draw. anyway - i'm impressed with your drawings from the structure of man. it looks like you are learning a lot. do you like it? i did the first few that were free on youtube, and thinking about buying the rest. the only thing is i could see it getting tedious at times waiting for him to explain things, but you seem to be doing well off the videos. your most recent post is very good! i like the last head, especially. keep it up, you're inspiring (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

neonndreams, thanks for visiting!

I've been busy with Kung Fu for a couple of weeks, but now back to drawing again.

Same old agenda, more muscles following Riven Phoenix. Almost level 10 now, wonder if I should do something special for that...

Level 9 (950/1020)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 10!

Muscles of the chest and arms, front&back, inside&outside views. Wrapping the muscles around bones, understanding connection points and contour lines caused by muscles. Brain pain! I'm gonna start having nightmares with muscles everywhere...

Level 10 (180/1140)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey looks like your going well with your challenge so far congrats. Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my sketchbook, was just the kick in the butt I needed. I've picked up the pencil more the last few days, even took my sketchbook out with me. Now I just need to keep my momentum going. Thanks again. *scutters off to draw*

visit my and help me improve

Kitfox Metalhead3 Not Deadman DTP Miss.BonBon OHI Browntear

Do not follow where the path might lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing. - Aristotle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can't really offer any great advice or anything. Your faces are looking pretty solid and it looks like your working really hard studying anatomy and stuff. I think you should work with shapes and perspective a bit more maybe? I dunno, the abdomen of the recent drawing of the guy with the sword doesn't look very solid. Keep up the good work!

The Sketchbook
    Sketchbook Support Group Members: kitfox Not Deadman Trailbazer DTP
    Miss.BonBon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doing great man!!! i want to see you get to the end!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The muscle sketches look awsome but I think you should try to push some value.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice anatomy studies! Try to draw from life/photos though, since book studies should only really be a supplement to what you draw. Keep workin' on the anatomy though!
    Also, try to work on rendering for and figuring out how light effects different objects! Also try to keep in mind proportions because in some studies some things look too big or too small because they aren't draw properly in relation to one another.
    Check out Andrew Loomis' book on figure drawing because he has a great section on proportion for both males and females http://alexhays.com/loomis/
    You're doing great so far, if you keep workin hard you'll be a baller artist in no time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing great man. Good work especially on the muscle part!
    Apart from your studies, do you draw from mind. You should do so

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing well man, you should take a crack at drawing from life or photo now see if you can mark out where the bones or muscles are under the skin, how they all connect together etc...think I'll have a go at it myself. Might help you to transfer your studies to your mind/life drawing easier.

Do not follow where the path might lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update - Level 10 (320/1140)

metalhead3, I know I need to study perspective more closely eventually, I still need to get a good book on that, or go through the Loomis books I have. And I agree, the sword-guy-with-cape is akward.

Aragah, thanks for visiting!

Nickels, I tried to work a little darker this time, see if you like it? Value is not the main objective with these studies, though, it's good to practice applying it. The purpose of the course I'm doing is to imprint the conceptual idea of the construction of the figure into the mind, so that it may be easily reproduced.

Not_Deadman, I'm not actually studying from books at the moment, I'm doing a video course: The Structure of Man - Learn to draw the human figure from your mind - training course, by Riven Phoenix. I want to be able to draw as much as I can from imagination, and so far the course is working wonders. I can pretty much draw any of the studies from my mind. I keep proportion in mind, but I'm trying to learn to eyeball more and more things because measuring everything takes so long. I'm still off sometimes with the relationships. I've got all the Loomis books and a couple of others on anatomy and I'll get to reviewing them eventually. Same for life/photo studies, can only study so many things at a time. ^^;

Twan, Thanks for visiting! At the moment I'm not drawing much from mind except for the studies. Trying to rush through the course to get the information before I go about applying it.

Trailblazer, that's actually nice idea for an exercise. I'll have to try it sometime soon.

Continuing with the muscles, twisting the forearm in various ways. Still being conceptual, tried to work a little darker though, proper value studies will come when it's time for surface anatomy. The sizes and proportions vary a little bit, because everything is constructed seperately, not copied from anything. Got a few day offs coming, time for some more drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep on pushing studies are boring and a pain but once you can draw anything from your imagination how you'd like it will all be worthwhile. Nice studies, the tops of your arms are starting to look more and more solid but I'd work on your forearms a bit more..can't quite put my finger on what it is but it doesn't look quite right yet could be your not quite sure about the bones? Either way keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interestin approach, just make sure it doesn't kill your creativity and the fun of it. Looking good though! Look forward to visit the sketchbook every now and then. "Yeah, I was there" kinda thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The values look great and the forms on them are easy to read. Oh and thanks for the loomis links I got a lot of studies done with them mostly on muscles and figure structure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are improving so much! Really great anatomy studies, and I love this point system you have! Did you come up with it, and are you doing it with other people?? I love when people come up with a game to make studying more fun... have you ever seen the book "Fantasy Art Genesis"? It's a game for fantasy artists - you use dice like in D&D, and the author gives you lists, and you roll dice to figure out (randomly) what kind of creature/plant/thing you will have to come up with, and what it's attributes will be. It's pretty awesome if you just want a challenge and to build more portfolio pieces. It is also great in that it forces you to look up reference for different plants and animals that you wouldn't have thought to research before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, these look great! Can I ask you what book did you use to study the muscles?

Last edited by Twan; August 18th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just stopping by to say, keep it up and don't lose motivation!

The Sketchbook
    Sketchbook Support Group Members: kitfox Not Deadman Trailbazer DTP
    Miss.BonBon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 10 (400/1140)

Trailblazer, I actually like doing studies. Maybe even more than personal works. *shrug* The forearm is a little confusing, the connection points and overlapping are not intuitive yet.

Konstruktion, I don't have much creativity to kill. It's something I ought to work on developing instead, after I get good foundations. But I like doing studies so motivation is usually not a problem.

Nickels, thanks, and you're welcome.

Saramel, yes. This Leveling/Experience system is something I came up with. I made it for myself to follow but I'm not stopping anyone from participating. In fact, it'd be nice to hear if anyone decides to follow it and hear if they like it. Had never heard of Fantasy Art Genesis, but I looked it up, thanks for the tip.

Twan, video course: The Structure of Man, Course 102, Muscles of Human Figure. Books that I have used in the past include Figure Drawing For All Its Worth by Loomis, Dynamic Anatomy by Hogarth and Bridgman's Complete Guide To Drawing From Life.

metalhead3, thanks for the encouragement!

I checked TAD website again for tuition info and noticed that they're not offering the 50% early tuition discount for Spring 2012. That means I'm gonna be falling short on money, if not in tuition then in materials. Sigh... The only way I'm gonna be able to afford that is by loaning from my parents. But it's quite a lot to loan at one time and I don't want to push it on them, even though they might actually be happy to help. I just don't want to feel like a liability, not at my age (21). If I keep working I could apply for the Fall 2012 program... But seeing how the price fluctuates, I'm not sure. Not to mention getting pushed back another year in schedule would suck.

I'm just at total loss about how to plan ahead now. It makes me so depressed thinking it's not gonna work out, I've worked the whole year for this.

Didn't get much drawing done today. Panicing over getting to TAD, then trying to look for alternative schools, then worrying about money again, and just generally feeling lost. Few more arms, from the front this time, and some surface anatomy with conceptual rendering. Riven says it's completely different from realistic rendering but I don't really understand the difference yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, nice goal,
    I want to see the end of this!
    Added your sketchbook to my bookmarks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just try to keep your chin up mate, I know it's easy to get depressed over I do all the time, can feel like time is just slipping through your fingers to fast. Just try to remember that 21 is still so young. Even if your schedule is pushed back a year as frustrating as it might be you've still your whole life ahead of you. It just means that when you do get in you'll have an extra year of experience behind you and an even better portfolio. Still best of luck getting in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 10 (580/1140)

ANtY93, thanks for visiting.

Not_Deadman, thanks!

Trailblazer, I'll keep myself afloat. But I gotta figure out how I'm gonna afford TAD, I refuse to be pushed back another year.

Front torso recap and another mannequin process overview. The construction of hands. The underlying muscles ended up being erased so they don't look like much. But the study did it's job when it comes to understanding the anatomy. Only the area of the pelvis and legs left.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level 10 (670/1140)

More of the same shit. Think I'm done with the upper body now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I noticed the heads you draw are too short. and theres other things that went wrong about proportion.
    remember:
    1/2 ->crotch
    1/4 ->pecs
    1/8 ->bottom of the head
    Kit's sketchbook
    keep it up!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Twan For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2