Sketchbook: Kit's sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kit's sketchbook

Hello,

I'm a 21-year-old guy from Finland. I liked video games so I turned to art, thinking I could create some, games. Don't really have anything else to go for in my life, so probably going to stick with it. Most likely, I'll never be amazing. I've never been. And it's hard to change, being average to the core. But maybe, just maybe, I'll be a little above average some day.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kitfox; August 28th, 2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Edited title.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to kitfox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level Up!

Reached level 2 by painting the banners for the starting post, finishing a portrait of my grandmother and a quick selfportrait. 70 exp to go for level 3... might finish that tonight still.

D10kHC LVL2 (110/180)

/edit: Exp table moved here from first post. Will reserve first post for random stuff.

About the Rank Up Table:
    LVL = Level
    TNL = To Next Level, the experience needed for next level
    TOTAL = Total experience, accumulated so far at the start of each level.
    Experience = Minutes spend drawing/painting. Minutes instead of hours because sometimes you just don't have the time to work for a full hour.

Last edited by kitfox; July 3rd, 2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Moved exp table here, so I can switch thread thumbs more easily.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level Up!

Reached level 3! Did a quick landscape from ref and a character sketch.

D10kHC LVL3 (15/300)

Name:  snowmountains.jpg
Views: 2986
Size:  60.5 KB Name:  indiansketch.jpg
Views: 2946
Size:  56.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start! I love the 10,000 hr philosophy, it applies to anything that you want to learn and makes it managable! Once you get to the first 10,000 hrs, you realize that you need another 10,000, and another, and another,... but by that time it's already become habit! I guarantee you will improve quickly if you follow your benchmarks! Cheers and good luck!

MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The miserable march... and level up.

@Dark_Eyes: Thanks for dropping by and for the encouragement. Wish I had more of it since I already feel my luck running out.

I applied to an art uni this spring... Well at least I did the preliminary work required and sent that in. I got a letter from the school yesterday saying the usual "Nice try pal, try again next year", so I didn't even get to the entrance exam... I even had a feeling that I was wrestling in the same league with the others, since I got to see some of the other works that were sent in when I went to get mine back from the school. I guess I was wrong.

I'm constantly debating in my head if it makes any sense to be even trying and my motivation goes up and down a lot. It's not really because of the rejection letter either but it definitely made me feel a notch more incompetent... I'm a half-assing amateur, I guess. I just don't have anything else going for me, except art.

But nobody cares about depressed ranting people so, here's some art for update. Did some gestures and failed horribly, made me depressed, not posting those. Drew my mannequin for a bit. And some figure drawing from photos, so NSFW from now on.

Meh... all I can do is copy from photos or life, and even then they're crude deformations of the originals. Anyway... level up.

D10kHC LVL4 (0/420)

Name:  dummies.jpg
Views: 3509
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  girls.jpg
Views: 2989
Size:  139.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohh sorry for that issue with art uni dude... but don't get upset, just get to work hard with art and you'll see the results!! I think you did a good job with those drawings of your mannequin, and hey, even if you think your drawings from life come up deformed keep working on those!! the idea is that you learn to see, and that will come up with practice, the drawings that come along are just sketches intended for you to get an idea of how to see right.

Nada importa morir, pero no vivir es horrible.
    ----

I have a S.KETCH.BOOK.!!

and a blog (with animation stuff): http://animatedskycat.blogspot.mx/

and a tumblr (with random stuff): http://arturoarias.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've always liked this idea. If you follow through and can curb the hard times and low points there's no way to fail in my eyes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

@DARKTHUR: Thanks for stopping by! I guess the uni thing served to let me know my standing among peers. I'm not even in the upper half. I'll keep working on stuff, though, I'm not a 'genius of hard work' so I might be a bit slow about it.

@Tides: Hopefully, I have enough sense in my head to keep practising right. If not, I'll just keep making the same mistakes and never getting better, no matter the time invested.

Been working a lot, so haven't had too much time or motivation to draw stuff. But here's a quick update. Dunno if I can squeeze another one for this week since I'll be working through the weekend. Still planning to attend TAD, so I need to build up the money for it. Or get a scholarship. But nice things, like that, don't happen to average people. Hopefully I'll have the money by the end of the year.

I really need to get to art school or find a teacher, even a mentor would be fine. I'm just not the type who's good at learning things by himself... Probably 'cause I'm not really a hardworker.

Some nudes. Used a harder pencil this time, I think it fits me better.

Level 4 (280/420)

Name:  figures.jpg
Views: 2878
Size:  68.0 KB

Last edited by kitfox; May 12th, 2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to reply to visitors, the self-centered bastard I am...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never really liked the idea of treating art like grinding levels. It is possible to spend an hour drawing absentmindedly and not learn anything, unlike a videogame where as long as you're killing things you gain XP. However, you seem to be using this as a motivation rather then a yard stick, so I can respect that.

Keep it up, let's see some gestures!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the level-up idea ^^

Maybe add in some 'skills' or something too, like line accuracy %, drawing from memory levels, 'vision' levels (seeing an object with an artists perception is important I hear)

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds like a great idea I love levelling in games to but have motivation issues with art..this might be just the measure I need..have to find a timer. If I start up I'll drop by and let you know, us lazy people have got to stick together

visit my and help me improve

Kitfox Metalhead3 Not Deadman DTP Miss.BonBon OHI Browntear

Do not follow where the path might lead...go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing. - Aristotle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drawings ^^

Just one question
    I think the idea with the rank up table is really nice. Could maybe copy the system and use it for my sketchbook too (i don´t have one yet). It would be really nice to have something where i can record my progress :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update - Almost level 5!

@OfficialLamp: I'm using this challenge as a motivator and a yard stick. Mileage is just as important as 'training right' in my opinion. Can't have success with one without the other. But I know what you mean, I'll try to look out for it. Also, I'll get some gestures up for next update.

@vices: I've thought about adding skills to this also, but it'd need more thinking to implement, I want to keep things simple. One thing I initially considered doing was rank up tests. Like past a certain level you can not gain more exp until you complete an assignment to proceed further. Like a doing a more polished piece in a specific medium, or something. If you've got any good ideas, let me know!

@Trailblazer: Nice to see I'm not alone with my motivation problems. Or maybe it's just a lack of focus on the right things. As for watching the time, I just eyeball my laptop clock and try to catch the time I start and finish drawing. There's really no need to be accurate by the minute. As long as you know that by cheating you only cheat yourself. Good luck if pick up the challenge!

@Saiyu: You're very welcome to pick up the challenge and use the system if you find it interesting. Use the rank up table for reference or save it for yourself to look at, but please don't post the image on your sketchbook as the idea and art on it are mine (I hope that I don't sound too obsessive). Please direct people to my first post if you want others to see the original chart. Good luck if go for it!

Now for the update... I started doing Riven Phoenix's The Structure of Man, figure drawing training course. So far I'm quite impressed how easy it is to understand his formulas for the proportions. I'm only at the very start, though, I'll see how it pans out. Here's some stuff from the first few lessons. Scaling down the images for web viewing killed the quality. Sorry about that, I'll need to figure out how to keep it better.

Level 4 (370/420)

Name:  human101_0001.jpg
Views: 2780
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  human101_0002.jpg
Views: 2773
Size:  88.7 KB

And something extra that I'm not sure I was supposed to do yet, according to the lesson.

Name:  human101_0003.jpg
Views: 2735
Size:  91.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting concept!

Art for me is a relief from being a suffering human. So I personally want it to be enjoyable.

Just curious whether you will seek out a teacher (someone with more skills than yourself) for advice. Or is this a solo journey into your own free association.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level Up

@pondman: Thanks for visiting! I'm hoping to get a mentor, even a study group would be nice. I'm not really the type that learns easily by himself, I probably said that earlier already, though.

Did some more lessons from The Structure of Man, brain hurts from all the formulating. But I can see it being useful knowledge, just takes a while to take it all in, should repeat the done lessons more often and draw more... and as promised, some gestures, -ish at least. Spend about 2 minutes on each one, mostly trying to limit the amount of lines I drew without having a real time limit, taking the time to see and examine the model. From the ever popular posemaniacs. So, level up complete, now heading for the next one, albeit slowly!

Level 5 (75/540)

Name:  human101_0004.jpg
Views: 2694
Size:  98.2 KB

Name:  human101_0005.jpg
Views: 2697
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  gestures_0001.jpg
Views: 2679
Size:  99.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

Continuing to work with the Structure of Man following Riven Phoenix's lessons. Reviewed the formulas and went onto the next lesson, which started combining them, making a transition to three dimensional form.

Level 5 (170/540)

Name:  human101_0006.jpg
Views: 3090
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  human101_0007.jpg
Views: 2704
Size:  107.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really hope you manage to continue till you reach the completer. This is very inspirational, I might actually try something similar in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see what you're doing.

...Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

@Axelga2112: Thanks for visiting! Inspirational? Those words are wasted on me! But I'll do my best to try and finish this... hopefully within 6-7 years.

@ArtsySiridean: Thanks for the cheerleader! I see I'm not the only one following the 10,000 hour methology. ^^

Put the formulas to the test and drew some skulls... Seems to work pretty well. Though, I stumbled a little with the one facing straight down, but managed to wing it somehow...

Level 5 (240/540)

Name:  human101_0008.jpg
Views: 2542
Size:  64.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

I feel like I've been working hard. Another week free from work so at least I've got no excuse not to draw.

More lessons from Riven Phoenix. His way of teaching really fits me well: he teaches a formula and then how to apply it. Following this course is starting to change my way of thinking about learning art. Before I was just copying anatomy books without really knowing how to solidify the knowledge and how to apply it from my mind. The way of formulating everything into simple concepts really works wonders. I will definitely try to apply this methology in the future.

Next level up is closing in fast as well!

Level 5 (430/540)

More various skulls.
    Name:  human101_0009.jpg
Views: 2521
Size:  42.8 KB

Adjusting the tool kit to include skull concepts.
    Name:  human101_0010.jpg
Views: 2503
Size:  53.7 KB

Working out formulas for the chest cavity.
    Name:  human101_0011.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  64.0 KB

Forms of chest cavity.
    Name:  human101_0012.jpg
Views: 2468
Size:  67.3 KB

Scapula.
    Name:  human101_0013.jpg
Views: 2475
Size:  81.2 KB

Attaching scapula to the tool kit.
    Name:  human101_0014.jpg
Views: 2456
Size:  61.5 KB

The "Second Milestone" character design.
    Name:  human101_0015.jpg
Views: 2460
Size:  76.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level up!

Working more on the human skeleton, now it's actually starting to look like one. Being able to do all this from imagination is really cool. Can't wait to get through the skeleton and into the muscles. Time really starts to add up faster as the tool kit is getting more detailed. Takes a lot longer to fully draw out. All the better for me, level 7 not too far away! I'm getting busier with work again, though. Next updates will be smaller most likely.

Level 6 (430/660)

Inventing the spine.
    Name:  human101_0016.jpg
Views: 2428
Size:  35.8 KB

Adding scapula, the curve of the spine and perspective came out a little exaggerated. Took note of it and tried to pay attention to it later on.
    Name:  human101_0017.jpg
Views: 2410
Size:  103.1 KB

Inventing the pelvis.
    Name:  human101_0018.jpg
Views: 2399
Size:  63.4 KB

Attaching pelvis.
    Name:  human101_0019.jpg
Views: 2395
Size:  100.2 KB

Adding femur to the mix.
    Name:  human101_0020.jpg
Views: 2388
Size:  85.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level up after busy 1½ week and lazyness...

Been busy with work stuff. Also been lazy, I break my own rules and forgive myself too easy.

Continuing with structure of man, almost done with the course. And my HD is filling up quick from unzipping the videos... Need a new computer and bigger HD.

Tried adding some tone in GIMP to makes things pop out more, dunno if it's a good thing. Takes quite a bit of time compared to simple scan adjustments, but I guess the experience with tablet is good. Haven't worked with digital stuff for a while afterall..

Level 7 (190/780)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspiring stuff. You seem to make good progress with this method.

I actually thought of applyíng to art uni here myself. Didn't manage to finish my current degree, so I dropped it. Maybe next year. Hope to get similar strict study routine going before that. The competition is fierce.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Very late update

@ismo: Riven Phoenix's method for learning to draw from imagination is nice. I try to work a strict drawing routine but I'm failing big, since I force myself to work hard at my day job (actually mostly night shift). On work days I end up so drained that I can't bring myself to concentrate on drawing seriously.

Finished The Structure of Man drawing course, skeleton mannequin. Probably getting the muscle course soon. Also finished the stack of rough recycled paper I was drawing on and got a new sketchbook. Nice to work on smoother surface for a change.

Tried some character design lineart, faked folds... Might color the sketch.

Level 7 (520/780)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the studies of the skeleton. Will have to check out Riven Phoenix...seems like a good find.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

@Steveland: Thanks!

From last night, not especially interesting concept but proportions feel easier to handle.

Level 7 (730/780)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some really nice studies going. I would try to push the values a bit more. When you get to painting, it all becomes values and light against dark. This can be hard to do with a pencil, since the value is static, but you can do it with hatching. Might also do some motion studies too just to add to the nice ones you have done already. Those skeletons are very accurate and have nice lines. Hope you make the hours!

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Level Up!

@Masterpug: Thanks for the point on values! I'm not adding much value because I'm afraid I'll get my lineart too messy if I need to rework something. I will keep values in mind, though, I want to get into digital painting eventually.

Warrior class. Also, level up!

Level 8 (180/900)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update?

Gesture-ish doodles.

Level 8 (215/900)

Last edited by kitfox; July 12th, 2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Picture didn't load...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

Started working on Riven Phoenix's muscle drawing course. Also joined a peer group in the community mentoring section, so some work can be found here.

Level 8 (660/900)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2