Sketchbook: Rem's SKETCHbook for a better tomorrow. - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study and memorize how the various lengths of the figure relate to each other (how many heads long the torso is and so on) to help you.
    i know all that stuff already, but when you are drawing with a vine charcoal stick, an alive human being that moves every now and then, and time limit, you kinda start feeling the pressure on you, haha, not trying to make xcuses here, just sayin, this is new to me, and its challenging, next week, since well get a week break from school, ill make some really elaborated figures, talking my time, and thinking on every little proportional detail. : D

on the value critic, yeah, you are very right, hehe, im gonna work on that, my figure drawing teacher is a bad ass at drawing, but his teaching ways aren't the best, but yeah, values is something i plan to deal with on my following figure drawings

Feet are a bitch haha, but i shall tackle them.

Thank you so much for the critic, i really appreciate it

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you have some amazing life drawings. And amazing self portraits. Stars for you man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rem92, you've made some really good progress! I see how you're working the 3D forms into your drawings, and though I noticed some arms on different figures are very thin in comparison, body proportions seem to be getting better. Great works, awesome practice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man you have some amazing life drawings. And amazing self portraits. Stars for you man!
    Thanks man. your talking about my avatar right? cause its the only self portrait i have haha, the other portraits are actors

@Jazz- Thank you, yea some of my figure need some serious tweaks, gotta work on it : P

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great start to your sketchbook Rem! you seem to have a good understanding of form in your figures but I think the one thing that sort of flattens your rendering sometimes is the value range you have. there seems to be an abrupt change between the light and dark values rather than having a sort of gradation of values to turn the form. one example of this I can think of is in your John Locke portrait in #37 (the base of the jaw line value shifting to the black of the neck-- which I understand there should be an immediate shift of light and dark but maybe the values should be slightly darker at the base of the jaw?). though I haven't seen the photo you ref'd so I could be wrong

anyway, just keep trucking through and continue with the studies!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rem92 View Post
    i know all that stuff already, but when you are drawing with a vine charcoal stick, an alive human being that moves every now and then, and time limit, you kinda start feeling the pressure on you, haha, not trying to make xcuses here, just sayin, this is new to me, and its challenging, next week, since well get a week break from school, ill make some really elaborated figures, talking my time, and thinking on every little proportional detail. : D
    I found that a pretty tricky part of life drawing as well. it's hard to know how to budget your time.
    Some people are really good at thinking about gesture and proportion and anatomy and everything else at the same time.
    Too bad I'm not one of them lol - For me I need to switch gears from one thought to another. I would start gestural, then spend a moment on my proportions then go back to gestural.
    On a short piece (1 minuet) I may only get to switch once or twice. 5-10 minuet ones I could spend a little more on each.

It does get easier over time, I can now do 30 second - 1 minuet getures that are in the vicinity of where they should be, but my first 2-3 thousand gestures were pretty shaky.
    Early on I think it's just important that your conscious of these things. Keep thinking about them, do your best to address them and don't sweat it if you muck it all up.

Your on the right track with your stuff so far- your studying all the right things. Keep tackling the fundamentals and it will pay off. You've already shown a whole bunch of improvement and your only 3 pages in .

Happy sketching !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there again matey

I liked the anatomy studies, and the hands studies very inspiring stuff, thanks for posting

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    teapo yea, i know what you mean, and its really difficult going about adding value like that with a time limit and all, as you cant see not a single piece is finished value wise, so i just rushed the value on the last figures to kinda show the cylindrical shapes. but yea, ill work on it alright. ; )

Rhubix yea, right now the process is pretty damn slow, gotta focus on increasing productivity.. Thanks.

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank You for comment! Post #48 is good, keep practicing and You don't have to worry about your future. Also trying new things is learning more, even if start isn't looking good :P Effort will pay off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work keep it going

Every critique helps me to get on step closer towards my dream so feel free to
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Osum Portraits... and life drawing is hard ... still u are pulling nice results..

Keep it Up..

BEst...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet anatomy studies and portraits. I'm definately envious of the portraits. Also good idea on the contour lines crossing the forms on your anatomy studies - may have to try that. Post more!

You'll Get a Free Pair of Ranger Panties. They're like Catnip for SKANKS!

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=203366&page=5

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some quick figures, and a crappy portrait.. (haha i didnt like it at all)

and then some ink drawing i did of some old man's face ( on this one i wasnt going for accuracy or anything, i just saw a video of N8 Van Dyke, and his fukin amazing ink drawings so i was like.. oh what the hell, il give it a try .. and BANG!..

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by The Jeso; August 13th, 2011 at 05:26 AM.

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey You're improving already, especially with the life drawing stuff! The portraits are beautiful! The only other thing I would suggest is to watch your lower half doesn't get squashed! Speaking from experience, it is very easy to shorten the legs, as they are surprisingly long compared to the torso. Although your life drawing is proportionally great, and has a good strong line to it! I love the dragon.. just saying! Overall I think you have a lovely and very impressive sketchbook!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to A-May For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are very good, sir.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Raph Fireburner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn't happen often I think but I totally forgot to pay back your visit in your SB. I'm not an organized person. My apologies.
    I can't say clever things in every sketchbook but I try to say a few words about your last bunch.

Why don't you like the portrait I wonder.. It's so good.
    The ink one isn't bad either but the mouth seems too simple and flat and the shadows often are odd, I understand them. I like the hair.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff, just keep up all the studies and you'll see some good progress. One thing I've noticed is you seem to have the same problem a lot of artist's have (including me ) where in your more finalised pieces you seem to jump in to detail too quickly. I know it's tempting to want to do so because you think, more detailed the better the picture, but if you take the time to look at all of the proportions of your work and stop and ask yourself questions like "would a person really be able to move their arms like that?" or even look in the mirror to test then your work will look far better. For now though, keep studying, you're doin great

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest_I For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update- very manly.
    I think the portrait (image 3) is very strong. One of your strongest yet. The tonal work around the eyes and nose are really good
    I hope to see more soon!! if you feel burnt out spend some time drawing what got you into the love of drawing in the first place. Nothing beats a day of unicorns and robots- or what ever got you here in the first place!
    Sometimes looking through old work will inspire me as well. I have a binder full of my favorite (not always the best) work since I was 6 years old. It's always a good pick-me up to see how far I've come.
    Happy sketching !!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmmm, its been a while, anyways, here are some figures.. again, some incomplete cause i ran out of time on the pose, also some teen challenge piece, and my first attempt at landscape painting.

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dude,thank you for your comments.agree with you~
    I think you may do more row of the line instead of charcoal .
    Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so, i'd like to try and do at least 1 landscape/environment piece everyday.. be it a color study, speed painting of refined piece, so here i go, this is today's, speed painting from reference.

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Man thanks for stopping by my SB. I can see that you are on the right track with your growth and people here have already dropped lots of helpful tips. Keep up with your studies and do try to draw every day. Also, this guy has some good quick tutorials on another method for figure drawing which you might find useful. http://www.freshdesigner.com/head-qu...etch-tuturial/

So are you going to enter into the Ch0w too?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is today's enviro, and some anatomy studies

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep on truckin', I can see some real improvement over the first page Studies are coming along.

Sketchbook - Deviantart
    - Dodgy Website
    Critique always welcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, a lot new stuff! An enviro every day? It's a good idea, I had it too but I never could do it... You gave me a little push doing them every day... I badly need it. Your own enviros aren't good composition wise but keep doing them and read about composition and you will get much better. Maybe you should start something simpler but clean and good to look at because the composition is nice...?
    I love Jack Hamm's book, Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes, it's not an easy reading in the beginning but it's full with useful tips I think.

I like your figure drawings, you should watch your proportions though, some heads are really tiny.
    Spiderman's left arm is way too small. His muscles are overdefined and overrendered/overshadowed too.
    The last anatomy drawing looks like the pelvis is missing, a normal one wouldn't fit there, it's more wide than that. Apart from this, nice anatomy studies

31. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmmm i see what you mean, but the psiderman's arm.. is rather short than small.. its thickness i right i believe, and i agree with the enviros thing.. composition could be much better, right now im just trying to get the hang of painting many things in a scene and try to make them look like they pertian to the same place.. kinda trying to unify everything, and learn how to paint with color and make believable elements.

Thanks for the critic

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    T.T, thanks to the massive hw load at school and my duties at work, i wasnt able to do the daily enviro, hopefully tomorrow i can get back to it, bur for now.. here is a leg study.

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and here a back study

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here is the enviro work for today.. it was just a 30 min sketch.. but man.. i learned a whole lot from it, i never did loose sketch before like this.. it just feels right.. lol i gotta study for my japanese test but i will try to do another one later today. and make amends for the past 2 days where i couldnt do the enviro study.

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rem , thank you for commenting in my sketchbook
    you have good studies here , i really like the anatomy stuff , and i suggest you to make more figure drawings esacilly from you imagination
    good luck

wassim

Change is such hard work

Sketchbook - Blog

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 60