Elvish Vampire - Looking for comments and critics, thanks!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Elvish Vampire - Looking for comments and critics, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elvish Vampire - Looking for comments and critics, thanks!

Hey guys and gals,

This is a concept I've been working on of an Elvish Vampire. I'm looking for any comments or critics that might help me call it finished.

Thanks for your time!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi,

eyes and nose are really good but the ears look like they have been forgotten about. the ear ring looks particularly flat.

The character looks like a woman, but on closer inpection he has stubble. I don't know if that was the intent but that is my take on it anyway.

looking good so far.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottDotNet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the eyes are so awesomely creepy, and the nose and chin are great, especially the stubble. the texturing is also really well done, the forehead looks great. all id say to keep pushing is the neck, ears, clothes and hair.

-------

Blog

Sketch Book

New website coming soon!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bullitbikini For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cheeks need work, you need to blend the shadow more. Also his nose should be casting a shadow on his face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The upper head is too small for the face, also some shadows seem to not make a lot of sense, probably you should use less textures in strong contrast to the skin tone, otherwise they give a wrong impression of light and shadow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Swamp Thing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like Swamp's tweaks... the too small head was my first critical thought as well. Couple other major things for me are that the eyebrows aren't looking very believable/natural and his mouth needs work, in terms of lighting around the lips (more shadowed upper lip) and also the way the teeth don't really seem substantial enough inside the mouth (if he bit down all the way, his chin/jaw would look way too small). The teeth should also have more of a brownish yellow tinge to them for a natural look.

Great job on the texturing and the detail work on the eyes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree. The hairline does not feel like it matches the head.

Check this link to ... crap her site has apparently been hacked. Well, when her site comes back up (http://www.furiae.com/) check the galleries>tutorials for how to approach the hair.

As for the teeth. Not digging them. For the realism you are going for the shapes seem pretty childish.

Also, the blood on the face is strange. It is not reading that he just drank, but rather someone with a bloody hand just tried to push him away, or his vampire herpes are acting up. Might want to resolve it with a bit more thought.

Move the specular highlight in his left eye (our right) to the right to match the one on the left. Unless the light is 2 feet in front of him and a christmas light, the light would not reflect on the inside of each eye like that.

Also, adding the hint of an iris will give him a bit more believability, as well as some sort of reflection from the environment around him. You know what? I will just do a quick paint over.

Hope it helps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bai Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The eye area looks really good. The inside of the mouth is too black, I think. Looks like we're seeing the background through a hole in his head - try adding just hints of dark desaturated red.

The lips look very flat. You need to think of them as 3D shapes just as the eyes and nose. So they are going to have a shadow side as well on the left, since your light source is somewhere in the upper right corner. More roundness, like tubes.

There's no real sense of light and shadow in the hair.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks a lot for the great comments and critics!

I've come up with an update, taking into consideration all the views expressed in the posts.

ScottDotNet - I'm actually quite glad that you picked up on the womanly features of this character! I'm trying to conceptualize a male elf (a creature I'm imagining to have female characteristics) turned into a vampire.

Bai Fan - In terms of the blood, I definitely did want to capture the idea that it was smeared on his face. I've started to draw his hand, with bloody fingertips, to try and push the idea better.

Hopefully the details are starting to grow! There is still a lot I have yet to touch: for example, the hair & clothes. But I will get to it!

Comment as you please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, I'm glad i mentioned it then. However I do think the hand is a bit too feminine. A little overkill on the ambiguity if you know what I mean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow,the way you have rendered the texture on his skin is just amazing! How did you do it?

I'm not good with words so I did a quick paintover. I've touched up on what others have mentioned, his hair line, made him more masculine looking, and made his teeth less prominent. Hopefully it looks okay!

I flipped the image to check the composition and touched up on some things whilst doing that. I've tried to make the nose more symmetrical by adding some shading, made his chin a little bit more square and broadened his neck. I've tried to make the hair line look a little more natural. Here's a gif so you can see the changed properly. I'm rather tired at the moment so I might be wrong about some things, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has taken me a long time to get back to this image, sorry guys; I’ve been working on some other side projects. I have a quick update, nothing special, mainly just the hair and some facial alterations meirou mentioned

ScottDotNet – Hopefully a future update of the hand will prove less feminine..

meirou – Thanks for the tips, I took from them what I could but I kept the hair in the same fashion as I had it. I still like the silhouette of flowing hair rather than a cropped cut.
    As for the detail on the skin, I would say it comes from a mixture of a very large image and a lot of time spent drawing out details by hand (which can be a little overkill). I’ve attached a (very) mediocre “tutorial” that shows how I start with a custom brush and extend some detail with brushstrokes to establish a texture. I like to play with layer properties too; sometimes it brings out details that I can further develop. Most of the time, I just get lucky with blending layers together

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    let me say I love the portrait but the hand kinda ruins it....now I hate hands I think hands are the hardest thing to render so I say first off congrats on taking them on then let me say the wrist is off as I look at my wrist flexed in a similar way right now I see more cast shadow and more wrinkles in the flesh.....this will help so that the hand is the foremost thing......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe this calls for a new approach of his hand?

From previous posts it seems that, without a hand, the smears of blood on the face were a bit confusing. So I would still like to try to render a hand, unless I'm otherwise convinced...

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The image on the left is fantastic. There is a LOT more character to that one, and I think it's definitely heading in the right direction.

I have some minor issues with the skintone... it's more of a subjective thing, but it seems a little too pink overall. If certain areas, like the ears, and shadow on the left side of the face were to be less saturated, or a little more yellow, it would help the red of the nose and the blood stand out.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.