Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts

Cross posting on sites

I hate to say this but treating this site as a picture repository is not the greatest of ideas. So you can link and post your picture everywhere. What does that make CA/? Photobucket, Flickr?

How much bandwidth do you think your pictures take? Who do you think pays?

How long do you think it will take people to cotton onto the fact that here is a free picture hosting site? Then how long will it be before posting here isn't free?

Think before you cross post as to what you're doing to both sites and what you're costing them.

This ends your public service announcement. Cross posted to CA /.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    I'm a little confused. Can you clarify some more, please? This might involve me.

Thanks
    Hmmm...
    so is it a bad idea to keep a sketchbook on and CA at the same time?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobanderson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    BlackSpot means bandwidth hogging. If there's no failsafe to stop it, people could use CA.org to host their images, then link those img urls for display on other sites. This uses bandwidth. Bandwidth is basically every time someone's computer pings the server to download your image for viewing. In the context of viewing on CA.org, it's okay because the viewer is also accessing CA's ads and content. If they're re-purposing elsewhere for display, that means using CA.org's dollars for no benefit to the company.

I didn't know reposting was possible from here, though. I always thought it was not.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mirana is correct.

It just seems stupid as well as you know how slow CA can be at times. When I've at , the slowest pictures to load are those from here. The more people use CA as a picture repository, the slower the site will get.

Thanks
    I've also discussed this with Jason and the sooner the upgrade happens, the more likely hotlinking will be lost.

Thanks
    What's hosted on CA stays on CA as far as I'm concerned. (Though I have linked stuff privately in emails and such. But not publicly.)
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    I've also discussed this with Jason and the sooner the upgrade happens, the more likely hotlinking will be lost.
    Is this a good idea?

Image linking cuts both ways.

Someone hotlinks a cute kitty from their SB, someone else discovers CA, and maybe TAD. . .

just sayin'. . .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Ok, I thought it was that, but wasn't 100% sure. So I've got nothing to worry about, then.

It's always been pretty difficult to hotlink from here, so I used DA, Photobucket, whatever. If it was only gonna stay here and appear nowhere else, then I would upload it normally.

Thanks
    When I post in both sketchbooks, I always upload the file, no matter how long the uploading process takes. If I can, I try to keep the image optimal for on-screen viewing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    Is this a good idea?

Image linking cuts both ways.

Someone hotlinks a cute kitty from their SB, someone else discovers CA, and maybe TAD. . .

just sayin'. . .
    That's what search engines are for. If they're not smart enough to find us, they're not necessary to be here.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    That's what search engines are for. If they're not smart enough to find us, they're not necessary to be here.
    Me? I really don't know the economic or technical issues involved!

But, if anyone wants to play "tit for tat," seems to me that the "Cheer Me Up Thread" blinks out into the void. . .

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The only time I cross post is when I post animation tests. Reason: The attachment manager isn't suited for posting flash animation. Otherwise, I just upload my pictures using the site's attachment manager.
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph

Thanks
    Does seem silly if people use CA as a hosting site when there's other sites designed entirely for that. But at the same time, if you stop links going out of CA does that mean you've got to stop links coming in?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hmm. I think I'm sort of understanding it... When someone links to their sketchbook on CA from an external site, that's hogging bandwidth?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobanderson View Post
    Hmm. I think I'm sort of understanding it... When someone links to their sketchbook on CA from an external site, that's hogging bandwidth?
    That would appear to be the argument "in a nutshell."

Thanks
    I can see it from both sides of the fence. I see why one would want to stop the external linking and why one would choose to do so. The only time I linked to CA was in an email to my professor telling her she ought to require each student in next year's class to maintain a sketch thread on CA.

Thanks
    I'm truly ignorant on this one.

I was considering resurrecting my old TSOFA thread (Michael Mentler's website/also a CA member). I was going to parallel link a tiny amount of better life drawings from either my SB or my Fine Arts thread. (Maybe 2 or 3 per month).

But, if that makes me a bad guy, I won't do it.

I don't know that Mentler/TSOFA does "hosting" as of yet. And, PhotoBucket has always been finicky when it comes to better depictions of full-frontal nudity.

Thanks
    @Kamber
    Have you tried imageshack?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobanderson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Stupid question time:
    I don't really understand, do you mean linking the whole picture (example) like this:
    http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...1&d=1304306411
    to another site is bad for CA (never did that btw)?

Just asking because some comments confused me a bit, you are still allowed to link to your sketchbook by making a normal link, right?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to InvisibleQuail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobanderson View Post

Noooo... Let me try explaining a different way. Linking to a sketchbook is fine, gleaning a direct image url in the sketchbook and posting that on your blog is bad. Linking to CA.org, it's threads, posts, etc IS FINE. That's linking people to the site, as intended, for them to discover it, utilize, contribute, spend money on the workshops, school, videos, etc.

Uploading your art, and then linking SOLELY to the url of that image (not the page/thread it comes from), so that it displays only that image on ANOTHER PAGE, is using the site as it is NOT intended and is considered stealing bandwidth. Bandwidth costs CA.org a lot of money. Hotlinking is stealing from CA.org.

Thanks
    Ok, question solved! Thank you Mirana.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    love u all. thanks for looking out.

already targets ca aggressively. they always have. it is owned by a guy who went to school with andrew and I and another who is a director at a major competitor of massive black. I will have the host turn off the ability to allow them to link from here. should be possible.

It is not the image hosting that I have concern about as much as it is the community supporting the downloads. We need to get some new ones up. For those who have supported in the past, and now, thank you.

jm

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manlybrian View Post
    What's hosted on CA stays on CA as far as I'm concerned. (Though I have linked stuff privately in emails and such. But not publicly.)
    Yeah i feel the same way. If hotlinking is disabled, it won't really matter for me, i generally just post stuff up to have it in my sketchbook.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 559 Posts
    And just to confirm - I'm sure this is ok but will ask anyway: Say if I upload a pic in the 'draw from what does everyone look like thread' then copy the image url and post that in my sketchbook to save uploading the same image twice on CA - that is totally fine yes? But more to the point will disabling hotlinking stop this being possible within CA?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    It is not the image hosting that I have concern about as much as it is the community supporting the downloads.
    Okay. I respect and appreciate this community enough, I will invest more into these. I've only bought maybe four in my time here and I've probably gotten thousands of dollars worth of information that I would've gotten at an expensive school so I should invest more.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    @The7Artist7: Should be fine, yes.

Hotlinking is very easily disabled by a simple line of code in the htaccess file of a site's server directory. You can disable outside links for all sub-directories by editing the htaccess in the top tier, or each of the individual sub-directories with specific permissions. Of course, there are probably more complicated ways to edit the permissions (as in, blocking only from one source, as Jason suggests), but I only ever needed to do simple stuff, and that was yeeeears ago. Since they're only editing for how the site functions towards incoming file links, and not ones that happen within the site, it shouldn't effect you cross-posting within CA.org.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    It is not the image hosting that I have concern about as much as it is the community supporting the downloads. We need to get some new ones up. For those who have supported in the past, and now, thank you.
    Yes, please! Moar, please! I think I've already bought most of the ones currently available...