Thanks

Question Business cards question!

So I have an art show- my first- coming up and I am planning to have business cards with my information on them ready. I was looking at some designs and templates and I immediately jump on the bright pink one with the frilly trim. No! Bad Artist! Okay... what about the one with cherry blossoms!? PINK! I am drawn like a moth to a totally unprofessional flame. Not all my artwork reflects my insane love for all things cutesy either. Oh but I love them so...

As an artist, should I go with my personal tastes, regardless of professionalism if it reflects my personality? Or should I fight the urge to go Harajuku on my business cards and keep it classy?

Here's my blog to get a sense of my art.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Can't you keep it "classy" and at the same time reflect your personal tastes?
    My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

Thanks
    A business card has to reflect what you are doing. Basically, if a person was to take your business card and put it someplace and only find it after 5-10 years, he should remember instantly, who's card this is and what the person was doing. For an artist it's counterproductive to have a very formal business card that looks like it has nothing to do with their work, unless the artist is some big shot everyone knows.

Just approach it as you would any other work and try to do the best you can, being clever doesn't hurt.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gerulaitis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Seeing that you can have 2000 of them printied for around a 100 dollars if you make them yourself. Why not just do that that way you are not locked into what some format that may or may not apply to you?
    My cards have a painting on the front and my info on the back.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Seeing that you can have 2000 of them printied for around a 100 dollars if you make them yourself. Why not just do that that way you are not locked into what some format that may or may not apply to you?
    Agreed, and as an artist, it makes sense for you to have your own art in your card. That way you can make sure it gives an accurate general image of your art and have pink or flowers there.
    Since after all...
    As an artist, should I go with my personal tastes, regardless of professionalism if it reflects my personality?
    As an artist it should probably reflect your art, rather than personality. Or at least the fact that you're and artist. (And you know, your own art may reflect your personality too.)
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would recommend that you go for, initially, a more business looking card. As everyone else, I used one of my paintings for the card, with my info on it.

http://doughoppesstudio.blogspot.com...rd-design.html

If you want, you can do both, but, for a show, I would recommend handing out the business one. For me, the purpose of the business card is so that they remember me and then come back to purchase a painting. This is a monetary transaction and, people, want to feel comfortable that the person giving the card is a professional.

Dougie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    As an artist spit on a post it or put your bubblegum on a napkim and ask your clients to follow you via search hounds.

As someone with more logic use some design sense and choose something thats to the point, comfortabe and simple to both read and save and as you are selling yourself as a creative individual, you might want to design your own stuff and add your twist.

A card might not be a plain rectangle with a font with your name horizontally in the middle. Theres gazillion ways, as long as its functional. Remember every little thing you hand out represents you, who you are and what you do.

Some examples, there are better ones if you bother to browse for them.
    Last edited by JDSart; April 30th, 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ReneOchoNueve View Post
    Remember every little thing you hand out represents you, who you are and what you do.
    Also a good looking self designed card can give a good start impression about your experience, or at least a very bad one if you screw it up. A well chosen paper (maybe it's just me, but I totally judge business cards if they have too thin paper, like they'd been printed on copypaper or something), design, typography (or whats it called) and print quality all speak about your skill and that you have at least minimum experience of working with printing (something that book publishers like), and though print quality can vary depending on what place you use, if your card illustration is blurry/has .jpg artifacts or the text is too tiny to read, it all speaks that you can't really handle doing stuff that will be printed out and put a question mark on your abilities.
    Last edited by TinyBird; April 30th, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Yep - IMO an artist's card should have their art on it.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Business cards these days can actually be really cool-- there are a lot of websites like http://thedesigninspiration.com/ that actually feature neat designs to get your mind moving.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Bottom Line: Your art needs to be on it.

Your biz card is for sales, jobs, and people to remember who you are. Generic templates are everywhere and show nothing of which person you were at the end of the night when someone empties their pockets. You don't have to spend a lot of money to do it. Vistaprint offers a "design your own" card option where you can upload a nice crop of your work for $15.00 + s/h (additional options are more money, but you get the idea). It's 250 cards, which is plenty when you're starting out. By the time you run out, you'll have done new and better art you'd rather have on your card anyway.

Thanks
    You should try something memorable if you can but keep the info clean and readable. Having your art on the card is a great idea and works well enough but, why not try to push the boat out... like these guys have:

http://www.bestbusinesscard.net/28-b...business-cards

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    I designed my cards entirely myself without much trouble, and they're fairly cheap to get printed. Templates are not the way to go.

Thanks
    Here's a link you might find helpful:
    http://creativebits.org/cool_business_card_designs

Business cards don't have to be boring, and you can easily bring in elements about yourself into the design without making it look "too much" or tacky. Check out some of those examples.
    Just remember, the main goal is to get the information across, then the rest follows naturally. If you want to say "I'm an illustrator", try using textured paper with loose-stroked spot colour, etc etc. But try keep it simple, they will see your art properly anyway, and it adds a professional feel.

Hope it helps. I'm in the middle of a business card job at the moment, and I've gone through like, 20 concepts just to show that "this guy likes trees.", so at least designing for yourself will be more fun

Thanks
    I second that the most important thing is to have your art on it.
    I designed my own card, then just uploaded it to vistaprint and got them printed. I think 250 cost me 20$, with shipping.
    Here's mine if you want to see: http://sacari.tumblr.com/post/409523...eel-so-pro-now

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacari View Post
    I second that the most important thing is to have your art on it.
    I designed my own card, then just uploaded it to vistaprint and got them printed. I think 250 cost me 20$, with shipping.
    Here's mine if you want to see: http://sacari.tumblr.com/post/409523...eel-so-pro-now
    Nice, clean and simple. Does the trick!

Vista print is definitely the port of call for many people because they have such low prices but if you want to try something that is cheap and really well printed, you could also try www.moo.com and get yourself a box of the mini cards. They're pretty nifty and people I've given them to seem to really like them.