Thanks

I love me some white charcoal

This is the first figure drawing I've done in months that I'm happy with. I got the chance to have fun with the rendering but I didn't get the chance to finish it. Anyway, enjoy

I love me some white charcoal

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    white charcoal? like chalk?

Thanks
    nice stuff caprotti, her back looks well observed. coupla niggles though, just my initial impressions:, those shadows under the breast look a little too dark considering the image as a whole, and the orientation of that left foot looks off considering the position of the knee, rendering is quite graceful but there are area's where the highlights peak a little too soon. hope I don't go too far picking apart what is otherwise a lovely image. the paper doesnt look like it would take too well to erasing so you've done really well keeping it clean. Now take that achievement chi and bust out some more for us!

Thanks
    jrr - Yea, it's a white charcoal pencil on Earthbound recycled paper. It's a toned sketchbook that you can get any most art stores. It's really nice to have a mid-tone already established so you can actually "add" the highlights as opposed to leaving that part of the image blank, letting the white of the paper show through. If you are able, I'd strongly suggest you pick that stuff up. It's a lot of fun, and it allows you to sketch in a way you wouldn't normally.

Rohan - Unfortunately, I had to leave somethings un refined like the leg and the shadow under the breast but I know exactly what you're talking about. The shadow area was the last part I was working on. My intention was blend it in a little more with the rest of that area, so it doesn't jump right out at you. I'm gonna have to fix that foot too. Even though it's an unfinished sketch it's just annoying to look at. Same with the shadow, I'm going to fix that as well. What exactly did you mean by the highlights peak too soon? On and the paper's actually prety sturdy, so I can pretty much refine to my hearts desire.

Thanx for the comments guys. And thanx for the honesty Rohan, it's the most important thing when it comes to art. I'll try and get some more life drawings up soon

Mike

Thanks
    I meant your white highlights don't quite show the same tonal sensitivity as your handling of the darker pencil, or to speak in photographer's terms, they are a little over-exposed. Btw, I've been looking for a toned sketchbook like that everywhere, and being in the most remote city in the world, havent yet found one that is a consistent colour and tone the whole way throughout, or have had to buy single sheets which are $$$. What sizes do they make them in? Can you get different tones? thanks, Ro.