Short Color tutorial

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hudnut Guest

Short Color tutorial

Keyth had some questions for me about color, so I thought I’d put together a brief tutorial about color for those of you who might want some thoughts on the subject.

Here’s some general advice regarding color:

1. Contrast warm lights against cool darks or vice versa.

Greg & Tim Hildebrandt do this constantly to nice effect.

http://www.brothershildebrandt.com/Images/101232.jpg
    http://www.brothershildebrandt.com/Images/hansolo.jpg

2. Contrast saturated colors against unsaturated colors.

Anders Zorn was a master of this. Hieronymus Bosch did it nicely as well.

You can find their work at artrenewal.org

Study color schemes from photographs (try corbis.com and photovault.com), DVDs, and paintings from the masters, or any painting you see that you like. I believe that it’s possible to memorize color schemes in the same way that we memorize anatomy and how to render volumes in space. So the more you study color schemes, the more that your study of color will pay off in your own work.

And finally, do lots of color thumbnails studies. Here’s some examples that I’ve done myself:
    Short Color tutorial

The purpose of these thumbnails is training your eye to identify color and observe how colors work together. As you can see from the following full-size version, I was not worried about tight rendering. I just wanted to make simplified color choices to get the overall feeling of the image.

Short Color tutorial

By analyzing an image and simplifying what your eye sees, you can get a feel for the palette used without getting caught up in details. The key is to reduce the almost infinite range of colors that you perceive to a manageable amount by determining an “averaged color” of whatever you are looking at. Whether it’s in light or shadow, highly textured or solid color, you can analyze a shape that you see and determine an averaged color that reads correctly to your eye when placed in context with the surrounding image. The thing to remember is that the color you choose is not “the right color.” It’s your interpretation of what you see, and it’s a simplified version of reality.

For example, in the detail thumbnail above the neck of the lead horse is a gray-brown. That was what my eye saw as the “averaged color.”

Once you have established your averaged colors, you can apply my two rules above about contrasting cool/warm and saturated/unsaturated to add variety and interest. For example, the sky in the background was a red-purple-gray overall. So I added a yellower gray in the middle to add interest through contrasting color temperature. Note: these color changes are subtle and might not show up well on your monitor.

By studying color from images that appeal to your eye with this method of “averaging colors” you can teach yourself how to create color schemes for your own work that appeal to you.

Keep painting and keep practicing!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are some great notes. It'll help me a lot. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks This is realy valuble information im very happy you took the time to shre im a modeler starting out in digital painting and can use all the advice possible im glad to see somone took the time to give away a work like this I owe you one !

Trav

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help, I will give it a try. You gave me alot of great advice Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ! thanks for thetips!

Cynical smarty pants.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks mr. hudnut:p .

this will be very useful. your generosity is much appreciated.

mythwarden Guest

Thumbs up

hudnut,

This is a great help to people.
    I tend to do too many night paintings so they tend to lack color. So I'll have to approach it your way sometime.

Thanks.

-myth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is so insightful! I will be telling all that ask me about color to read this. You have made more sense hear than an armload of books on color theory would do.

Thank you1

Jon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool i think i'll do studys like that, you think you would benifit more from doing them with oils or something tho?

Hudnut Guest
    Sketch, cerreto_ ELWOOD, coriat, keyth, mythwarden- thanks everyobdy, I'm glad this tutorial was useful to you guys.

foster- thanks, and coming from one whose works have been an inspiration to me, I can only say that I'm extremely flattered.

stephen- thanks, and regarding doing the studies in oil: if you desire to paint with traditional media, then I would highly recommend doing the studies in oil, or whatever media you wish to use. You will not only gain familiarity with color, but also how to MIX color with paint and how to use your brushes more effectively.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Thanks again,

Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.