Thanks

Last Class as an Undergraduate

I just got out of my last class as an undergraduate. It was a figure drawing class, and we were doing animation stuff. The feeling after was ... weird. Both freeing and daunting at the same time.
    I might miss college a lot.

Anyone else feel anything similar?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    I'm back into the education system now at university... But when finishing High School with no plans of further education in mind I felt exactly that sort of sensation yes. It's exhilarating, you have no idea what you are going to do essentially, and that's the beauty of it; you can choose whatever you want.

Of course, given your study, it'll most likely be something art related, so go ahead and do it.

Thanks
    I remember leaving the warm, gooey womb of academia-- prepare to be terrified.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    I'm already feeling terrified. My nonmajor friends are landing jobs (sorta) all around me, and when my grandfather (and other people) ask me if I've gotten any interviews yet, I smile and nod.

One person, (a school dining hall coworker of mine) asked me why I didn't major in something that would guarantee me a job...I said I would never forgive myself for doing such a thing.

As of right now, I'm looking into going to Illuxcon in PA come November. Hopefully by that point I'll have some sort of part time job to pay the car insurance bills, and will have a kick-ass portfolio to show.

I feel like it is going to be a whole lot easier to fall into a state of motivational purgatory between then and now, especially with a younger sibling who does nothing but play and talk about videogames. That's partly why I've signed up on this forum---so that I may stay motivated through the rough patches.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    I remember leaving the warm, gooey womb of academia-- prepare to be terrified.
    I'm leaving the gooey womb of academia today! I have no idea what people outside of Universities do. Where do you find doctors and wireless access? Do you have to hunt and trap your own?
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    I'm leaving the gooey womb of academia today! I have no idea what people outside of Universities do. Where do you find doctors and wireless access? Do you have to hunt and trap your own?
    Typically-- doctors usually frequent conferences which is a good place to wrassle up a general practitioner or optometrist depending on your needs-- as for wireless though, it's pretty free range stuff.

@jacobanderson -- Seriously though, it is pretty scary-- for the first time in your life, people are actually expecting you to make something of yourself that isn't measured by a grade, you know? And if you've taken art, you're likely going to watch your friends with more traditionally employable degrees sail into comfy, well paid jobs long before you ever see a paycheck. Having said that though, this is PRIME time to shift into overdrive and work on your skills and portfolio like the world is going to end. Once you get a job in your chosen field, or something temporary until then, you're going to have a lot less time and even less energy to devote to improvement, so make use of it.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    When I graduated I was so happy. I was like "fuck art, I quit, this is stupid, imma just work a regular job like everyone else."

Got a regular job in customer service but it made me want to kill everyone.

Then I was like "OMG NEED ART TO LIVE, don't care how long it takes."

I wasn't ready to pursue art as a career after I left college. I don't think I had the right mindset, any understanding of the business, or the maturity. Putting art aside and living made me grow up a bit and learn a lot more about my dream profession. Sometimes looking outside in can help you gain a new perspective. In my case I learned being an artist is living a "normal" life and that like anything success comes from hard work, determination, and a bit of sacrifice.

I was too stupid before and thought being an artist was impossible despite the obvious presence of artists that ya know...exist and stuff. I told myself I would be nothing before I began. It still is scary pursuing art but now I have the courage to do what I have to do to be who I want to be.

And that's my little story.
    Last edited by JJacks; April 29th, 2011 at 06:27 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post: