Art: My animation project so far...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face My animation project so far...

Backgrounds drawn in Photoshop and animated in Flash. Characters drawn in Flash and animated in Flash.
    Some scenes from an animation I am currently working on for a school project. I'm telling you, I can't wait to go University and study animation, working in a group must be so much quicker than doing this all on my own, haha XD

The full film will be about 5 minutes long (it's only a short one) and will be in our school end of year show.

Animation is a little choppy here and there since I need to finish the whole thing in 11 weeks, blech (but mainly because I had to record the screen since I needed to upload to Youtube, and I'm not sure how to export Movie Clips in something other than SWF). Trying to keep a nice and appealing look to the animation whilst taking small shortcuts to get it done in time (and making the lack of frames less noticeable... there are 62 frames in the cheetah walking to the river animation).

The background style is inspired by Disney (but less detailed since I'm stil learning painting techniques, but I'm getting there), whilst the character animation is inspired, in part, by Digimon the Movie (where there is no shadow, the colors are pastel-like and the animation is pretty detailed. It makes it easier to work with).

The final animation was intended to be targeted at an audience within the age range of 8-13, but... after making some of the film... I kinda want to up the age rating, just a bit The style is not as colourful as I originally intended, but I like it that way... I fail at sticking to my own brief, haha.

I stuck the storyboard on at the end. The storyboard style was inspired by one someone made on deviantART.

Last edited by Gashu-Monsata; April 28th, 2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Adding a tiny bit more info.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting concept. I think I get the plot, but a little background wouldnt help. The cheetah moves a bit jerk-ish, but, based on what you said, that you havent formally studied animation, it's a good effort.

I'd actually spend more time on the storyboard. Things just go extremely fast. Think of it as a movie, if all the scenes were to go that fast, nobody would enjoy or know what the hell is going on (unless you are Michael Bay)

Think timing, how long does the scene go on, where are they, the placement of the camera, etc. Look up the animatics for the Batman animated series, or the storyboard for Avatar: The last Airbender, great examples.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PLeon View Post
    interesting concept. I think I get the plot, but a little background wouldnt help. The cheetah moves a bit jerk-ish, but, based on what you said, that you havent formally studied animation, it's a good effort.

I'd actually spend more time on the storyboard. Things just go extremely fast. Think of it as a movie, if all the scenes were to go that fast, nobody would enjoy or know what the hell is going on (unless you are Michael Bay)

Think timing, how long does the scene go on, where are they, the placement of the camera, etc. Look up the animatics for the Batman animated series, or the storyboard for Avatar: The last Airbender, great examples.

Oh! Sorry, I should have mentioned about the storyboard XD The actual storyboard is a click-through animated storyboard, I was just clicking through them fast for the video. I should have slowed it down a little XD
    I'm not sure if I can link to deviantART from here, but here is the actual storyboard: http://gashu-monsata.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3ehcx4

I have trouble animating character, even with references Is there like... a way to animate them more naturally? Because sometimes, it's hard to tell what they would look like in a certain posistion when there are no references available. It would be handy if I could get to a zoo at least, but alas, I can't

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I mean, there's the Animator's Survival Kit, that's a great way to pick up on good techniques. I think just observing and doing certain actions. Sit outside and just watch how people walk, move, what secondary action they do, how they pick their nose (ew)

The zoo is a great place, but if that isnt available, either Animal Planet or the NatGeo programs? they have some really great video reference, might even be easier since you can pause, go back, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PLeon View Post
    I mean, there's the Animator's Survival Kit, that's a great way to pick up on good techniques. I think just observing and doing certain actions. Sit outside and just watch how people walk, move, what secondary action they do, how they pick their nose (ew)

The zoo is a great place, but if that isnt available, either Animal Planet or the NatGeo programs? they have some really great video reference, might even be easier since you can pause, go back, etc.
    Oh! The Animator Survival Kit! I have the DVD of that, it's brilliant! I'm not too good at remembering things I watch though, I think I need to take that DVD one step at a time so I learn by doing it.
    It's a shame there's no zoo around here, I'd love to go up to London Zoo, but it's way too far away and too expensive to go to Watching nature programs is a good idea, I'll browse though Youtube to see what I can find.

Thanks so much! ^^

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.