C.O.W. #211. Red-Hot, Speckled Rock-Muncher - WIPS Thread - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time im part of CoW or any weekly event on CA.

So on to a WIP

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Sketchbook http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=239346

-In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.-

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    After a few days of scanner trouble, I've managed to get some lower-res scans to you guys. I was working on a few designs, these were the two that I ended up liking the most.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Nocebo - I like the wip. Does it ingest rocks through the 'trunk-like' part in the front? I can't really tell if it's sucking up the material or releasing it.

@ Si-Swe - I like those designs, the one thing I'd say is that the left foreleg of the 2nd creature is awkward. It makes it look like the creature is tripping and going to fall to the left. I hope the 2nd one has a firey bum, that seems fitting lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my attempt after several so so sketches. I may not be able to get any more done before the deadline, so this may be final.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 653 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @DefiledVisions: Very nice concept there, would like to see how the finished piece turns out

@Nocebo: Some nice rendering going on, but it's hard to tell what is going on exactly. Perhaps its still a little too early to tell, but it's hard to get a good feel of any creature anatomy.

@Si_Swe: Some neat designs there, actually reminds me a little of Rodrigo Vega (IRIRIV)'s work on deviantArt. I like certain aspects of both designs you have, so its hard to really choose which one I like better.

@Sebs: pretty cool, I'm not really feeling the bright turqouis spots on the red skin, though.

Here's a little more progress, I could probably use another week to really push the background to what I'm really going for, but it's not too far off. The creatures themselves are close to completion. I might change something about the bright orange tongue though, it's a little distracting.
    Any crits and suggestions are welcome!
    Name:  Red Hot Speckled Rock Muncher Progress.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  340.7 KB
    ...and to think I didn't erase the 'nom nom' yet...lol when you stare at it for so long it tends to slip your mind, I guess.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all!
    My account was activated just a few days ago so I can post my WIPs only now. So, here's the creature I doodled right after I had read the topic: some kind of wormy/lizardy-like rudimentary-legged thing.
    Wish me good luck as this is my first try to participate any activity here on CA. I would also appreciate any kind of feedback.

C.O.W. #211. Red-Hot, Speckled Rock-Muncher - WIPS Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muthafuckin' rocks all up in this bitch!
    Here are some comments for the moment:
    Tigzz - Welcome to COW. Pretty nice stuff right now. It's a little flat at the moment. I might make the tail twist so it goes into the background a ways, it will really give a better sense of depth to the piece. Try and get the lighting a little less even, right now it's fairly all-encompassing. Those rough edges also aren't working well on the base of the creature, it makes it feel like the creature isn't really interacting with a surface at all.
    Rob Powell - I think this is a big improvement from your last piece. Right now the heated parts look very bright, but it's effect on the skin of the creatures and background is too minor. Your using a soft brush to render the light, but it would look a lot more luminous if you were using high opacity hard brushes. Try and cool down your shadows a ways, which will give the light a much warmer look and will balance your image.
    sebs - Welcome to COW. My first two suggestions are to harder your edges, which are really fuzzy at the moment, and avoid the use of pure black, which looks very unnatural in most situations. Very few artists are capable of using pure black effectively in a digital painting. Lastly, you'll want to clean up your background a bunch, it's even fuzzier than the edges of the creature, which is giving a difficult (and flat) reading of the space.
    DefiledVisions - Always glad to have you on board! I'm interested to see the way you tackle rocky textures, given your very painterly rendering style. Looking forward to an update.

Here's an update on mine, I'm planning on giving him a speckled belly (like fire-belly newts). I'm trying out a hatching rendering style for the first time...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    won't have the time to finish this .....

long ago the creature was vegetarian, but its so hot, that it burns all crops around ... so it has to eat stones.

(failed with the head...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update of my rock louse final

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rob Powell: thx, played with the spot layer and shifted it to a yellow almost green ... still not sold my self on either option. May change again before deadline.

@Si Swe: Thx ^-^ its a fun departure for me so far, I fixed the edges (took off poor effects layer and added some stuff). I also exported at the correct resolution . I will try to avoid the pure black in the future, I have done some work on it on this one for the time being.

I will keep working on it and try to remember to get it in before the dead line this time ^-^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sebs - The edges look better, watch the perspective, especially on the rear leg.
    Schoten - Try not to get too caught up in the textures, and focus more on developing a sense of form. Try hardening up your brushes and work on value modeling.
    Eiki - Really hard to read the creature. It doesn't really read like a creature because of some of the flattened lighting and the irregular form of the udder-like portion.

Here's the last update on mine for today:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Si_Swe: Thnx for the tips...a lot of what your saying I am already taking into consideration, but I'll start using harder brushes for the lighting. also my last couple of pieces were more Ps images than actual painted art, this time I went straight into rendering with colour as opposed to rendering in the values then painting over with colour, I found myself painting a lot more than playing with the programs in Ps.
    And btw, the rendering looks great on your creature, the hatching really adds to the texturing of the creature. I dunno how far along you are, but the belly looks a little iffy atm.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Doubt

@Si_Swe: How binding is the only 1 image rule? Can I put in say two or three together- and make that my final?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hari, it really depends. The idea is to create 1 creature. If you put together 3 images of 3 different creatures, then no. If you're putting together a creature illustration with a couple of support images, then I'm okay with it. I have to treat it on a case-by-case basis, but it's a much better idea to focus on putting together 1 high quality image, rather than 3 alright ones, that portray more narrative. A piece of creature design should be able to convey almost everything about that creature in one image, so don't rely too much on having many images.

If you want a good example of multiple images used effectively, check out the Winner's Thread and go the round entitled Catapult Creature (I think it's Round #129).

Rob, the belly was at about the 50% done state at that point. It's been rendered a ways more at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Taking cues and quotes from Hunchback over in the EOW and putting a ton of TLC into this one. Hopefully I can get the background done tomorrow before the deadline, because I need sleep.

Name:  COW-211-wip4.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  209.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Si_Swe: ye, I thought it was still in pogress, but I guess that's the danger of critiquing a Wip. One thing I do notice, your creature here resembles your Titan War beast entry, mainly the nose.
    Anyways thanx for the advice, did a little more work on it today and it looks much better, I'm almost done so I'll do the finishing touches tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, as artists we tend to have little stylistic ticks. One of mine tends to be those strange exaggerated noses. You can check out the rest of my creatures, though, I think those are the only two creatures I currently have up that have noses like that...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 678 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Rob Powel, thanks!

Thanks Si_Swe! right now it looks more like iron plating, which wasn't really the goal. I've thought up a purpose of the plating though, with the creature taking up precious mineral from the rocks and using it to grow an iron shell.
    Right now the shapes are a mess, working on binding them together, then going for details like skin-folds and speckles.

See you in tha finals (finally a cow I both start and finish, lol )

take care!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WOW

DefiledVisions
    Dude--- This is awesome man--- I love yours-- It rocks-- It's red hot and rocky!!! Rock on!!! \m/

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hari Gopinathan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question

@Si_Swe: In light of what you said- I prepared this collage of images for my final entry--- Could you please tell me if this violates any rules and whether it is admissible as my final entry...

Name:  for CA collage copyrtwert.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  326.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deadline in 1 hour. If you haven't submitted your final yet, do so now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.