Sketchbook: Sketchbook of a beginner

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook of a beginner

Hi guys, i uhh made a thread before but it didn't work? I dunno it said it will be approved first but i'm seeing threads created after mine so i guess it didn't work? *Sigh* Well let's start again!

I'm transitioning from DA to CA because i want to improve my skills and i don't really think DA is a place for that. I go there from time to time for some inspiration though

Anyway i'm currently in Uni studying a BA degree in Games art. I want to specialize in 3D Modelling but i really want to get my drawing skills better since that's where it all starts right?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sibby; June 1st, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhh okay seems to have posted. This whole attachment thing is pretty confusing or maybe i'm just stupid.Name:  IMAG0146.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0145.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  225.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0144.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  135.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0143.jpg
Size:  122.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0142.jpg
Size:  129.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0141.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  199.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0140.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0139.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  106.3 KB
    Uhh don't ask...
    Name:  IMAG0150.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  115.2 KB
    I did all of these yesterday. I really have lost it with gesture drawing. Need to start from scratch, the last time i did life drawing was months back in uni at the beginning of first semester. I'm using a site called pixelovely that i saw another member recommend and it's great for what it does!
    Name:  Sketchdump1.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  236.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet!

I've just been accepted to do games art next year and it would be great to see some of your 3d stuff as well. Which uni are you at btw?

I like your figure and face study although I think you need to vary the strength in your lines and not draw the whole of the features. For example in the mouth when you look at the bottom lips they tend to blend into the skin below and you could show this by drawing the line with less weight.

I like your life drawings stuff and personally i find it easier working on a mid tone paper to let you draw highlights and areas of darkness.

Keep going!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
    (Winnie the Pooh)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason these didn't appear on the last post. Is there some sort of limit for the amount of images you can attach per post?

Anyhoo these were also done at the uni life drawing classes months back.

Name:  IMAG0143.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  122.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0140.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0146.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  123.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocley View Post
    Sweet!

I've just been accepted to do games art next year and it would be great to see some of your 3d stuff as well. Which uni are you at btw?
    Thanks! I'm studying at the University of Bolton. I live in Manchester and it was the only best course around me. It's pretty fun , i'll have to have a rummage for my 3d work but i'll post it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay todays been one of those day were i cannot seem to do anything and it's really annoying. I grew more frustrated every time i did more gesture drawings! It might be because i've locked myself in a little room with a computer and the fact that it was quite hot today. I couldn't even finish a gesture in 2 minutes!!!! ARRGGHHH!
    Name:  IMAG0160.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0159.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  96.3 KB
    This looks like a man wearing a wig
    Name:  IMAG0161.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  105.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sibby, thanks for dropping by my SB.
    I understand how you can feel scared with the industry being what it is right now.
    But I also happen to live in a country with like two studios, woo :|

I think you're rushing ahead quite a bit with trying to draw the human figure.
    You should focus more on understanding form, not drawing something fantastic.
    The body (and everything everywhere) can be broken down to basic shapes like cubes,
    spheres and cylinders. First you need to be able to draw these basic shapes with great accuracy before you can start to blend and merge them into something new.
    Being able to draw and understand form -greatly- improves your 3D work as well.

Look to this thread for inspiration and studies.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

Look at the first page, then look at the last.
    Study his progress and learn from what he draws, in fact, draw what he draws but try to do it better every time. Pick up a book on the subject and read.

Good luck and be patient

Website
    Contact - Quick and easy.
    CA Sketchbook - Sketches, process images, finished work, random banter.
    -------

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Reedux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reedux - Thanks for the advice!
    So today as you can see I've gone through the Fun with a pencil book. I've realized that using a tablet and forgetting about traditional media was a very very bad move and i wish i never did do that [insert kick up the arse emote]. I can barely draw with a pencil anymore. So I've started from the beginning. I've got some uni work that I've yet to do so i might not post for a while. I'll try and get some sketches done daily but i'll bulk upload them at some point. Slowly making my way through the book and then i think i'll start with the figure drawings book. I really need to get a bigger sketchbook, i'm doing all my work in a small A5. But then there's the question of where to put a big sketchbook. My workspace is tooooo small.
    Name:  IMAG0162.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  130.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0163.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0164.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0165.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0166.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  78.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0167.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0168.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  71.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! So yesterday was my birthday, so didn't get anything done lol Uhh today i just looked at the internet for some refs and then i was like "WHYY THE HELL DIDN'T I LOOK AT CA??!!?" Found a really good site posted by someone called
    Hel-Looks
    I'll be using this site and normal google searches and just draw from them. I've decided that i want to first work on getting the body shape right, so i'm just going to draw and draw people from pictures. Here's some work i did 2 days ago and some i did today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today i didn't feel like doing much, Just one of those days eh? So i started this late in the evening and took around an 30-40 minutes to do. Life study colour. I don't do this at all but it was quite enjoyable. I was thinking of something to draw and then thought why not do things that are on my desk? Since i had fun doing this i'll probably do this more often. One that that i had a problem was this weird reflection on the monitor gloss. It's like distorted and hard to draw if you have two eyes open at the same time. So if i closed either eye the reflection changed depending on which eye i changed. It was complicated to draw so i just did what i saw with my left eye closed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today i didn't want to do much. Desk is a mess and i really cba cleaning it up. Tablet was here from yesterdays digital drawing. So both of these are from imagination. On the second one i applied the Loomis studies for proportions. It went okay i guess. Still need to improve though and i really want to get out of the habit of colouring in cartoonish. Want to make it a bit more realistic, not sure how to start off though!

Also i sort of cheated in photoshop with the orangy tone look. Just added a layer filled with orange and set it to color burn and messed around with the colour balance lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's Been quite a while. I've been very very busy with the final assignments for the end of this year. And i haven't had any time to upload some work. I mainly had some level creation work in a game engine, some reports to do and just this artwork, didn't like observation work because it got boring pretty quickly but here is the word i handed it.

Name:  BigDukeImage.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  524.4 KB

There's some things i cant believe i got wrong. Mainly Colour and stupid anatomy errors i only realized once i was finished with the painting lol. Anyway got a long summer break from uni but might also be going on holiday so i might not update for a few months. That's a BIG maybe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, you live right near me! boltoner here

great start to a sketchbook, to me it seems like you have that want and drive to improve that's all important, but you're just trying to find out how? so far, you're moving in the right general direction reedux gave awesome advice on improving and ways of looking at the human body and anatomy, and i'll just add that it's also important to think, like he said, in terms of general shapes for the body when you do any drawing of a figure - you seem to have implemented his advice in the figures you did from the pictures but not in the gestures, you still seem to be looking at the gestures in terms of contour - look for the central line of action first, then draw the body round that, thinking of it in terms of form rather than line.

the still life is really impressive, especially since it was your first you might want to watch the ellipses and perspective though, it looks slightly distorted? also, shadows have different shades and colours inside, it really helps the realism if you think about the colour of the shadows in terms of bounce/reflected light and the colour of the lightsource - this is a really helpful and in depth tutorial on that. and don't worry, it is hard to get the hang of at first - i'm nowhere near understanding it yet either x)

also, in terms of getting more realistic skintones and colouring, other than doing more still lives, its helpful also to do colour photo studies. just, do alot of everything, it helps

one last thing, this is a good overall tutorial on drawing and painting in general, it's all summed up pretty awesomely and easy to understand.

just keep doing what you're doing, listen to the advice of people on here, and you'll improve in no time im looking forward to seeing it happen! and thanks for the hel-looks link ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hope This Posts

Dammit i wrote soo much and it all dissapeared! My post said it will be approved by a moderator and then simply vanished! Anyhoo i'm not going to type my wall of text again but i just wanted to say is that i pushed drawing to the side while i was at uni in my last semester as it mainly involved digital art. However now in this new semester we have life drawing classes that we must attend and i'm once again eager to get drawing and improving! Here is some work i did on Monday.

Sketchbook of a beginner
    Sketchbook of a beginner
    Sketchbook of a beginner
    Sketchbook of a beginner
    Sketchbook of a beginner
    Sketchbook of a beginner
    Sketchbook of a beginner
    Sketchbook of a beginner
    Sketchbook of a beginner

As you can see i'm still quite rough in anatomy and need to practise more and make up for that lost time! I'm going to start drawing more frequently (mainly gesture drawings) and will also post up monday life drawing sessions!

Also here's 2 pieces of digital work i did for an assignment last semester! They needed to be printed out on A2 so i had to scale them down greatly to fit in this message

Sketchbook of a beginner
    Sketchbook of a beginner

Any crit is appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a few sketches for an assignment!

I'm going to be picking two and then working on them more. The final character of my choice will be taken into Zbrush and made into a 3d model

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sibby! I'm in your class @ Uni, can you guess who

Free Bump for your sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hai thar Lance. You are stalking me too much! Didn't know you were registered on here You got a thread of your own?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes matey, here http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234698
    I don't visit these forums much, but I'm going to make a concious effort to do so from now on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some gesture drawings. Some took 30 seconds (mainly the top 3) and others ranged from 3-5 minutes.
    Sketchbook of a beginner

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today's life drawing went okay (ish) i didn't feel the energy to do much and found it somewhat boring having the same model as last week since i'd like to explore different different body types and attempt them.

I REALLY liked the 60second poses as it really got my brain working and i was constantly in "Do this and this and put this here and move to the next gesture!"
    I'll also upload some tomorrow as i've managed to shift my timetables around and attend the additional life drawing classes

Oh and SORRY if the image is TOO big!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. Try loosening up your mark-making, find the overall shape of what you're drawing, don't worry about keeping clean outlines. Find the shape and then give it some mass by figuring out the lighting, then your pieces will get a mass and become more realistic. Don't worry about details yet, that can come later.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @The_Flying_Dutchman Thanks for dropping by! I'll try loosening up my drawings in the future, the only reason i don't do it is because i'm afraid the end result will just end up being scribbles on the paper!

So as i've promised. Optional life class drawings i did today. We didn't have that many poses and they were quite longer. But i just found a great way to make my commutes more awesome! Smartphone + Pixelovely + Sketchbook = practise! I loved working with a pen and will do a lot more of these from now on! I messed up real bad on the 40 minutes, realized that the back was too 'big' than the models actual back. Messed up on the shoulder part.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more train drawings! Quick 60 sec poses to get me started with the day. Hopefully,i will be posting some sketches of props for a new assignment at a train station. More life class drawings to come on Mon and Tues

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept for a uni assignment. Still working on it and trying to get used to the idea of not making my images full of black cartoony lines

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished the concept that i posted above and also have my second concept character for the uni assignment. I'll probably work on this a little bit more, but its not the main focus for the assignment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing that helped me was drawings parts of the anatomy, like the nose, eyes, and feet first, then taking what I learned about the smaller forms and putting them in bigger ones. May seem boring but starting small and then going big helps out a lot!

One of the best things to do is still lifes of geometric shapes. This helps you learn positive and negative space, color, shadow, bounced light, and form. It will drastically help you improve on more complex shapes like the human face as well as the more subtle aspects such as wrinkles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Mr.Ebony Thanks for dropping by! Yes i know what you mean! I'll definitely have to try it out sometime, do you know a good place that has tons and tons of references for Facial features? A lot of people say its better getting the human structure burned into ones brain and then the detail can come later, but i would love to know where people get references for doing these kinds of practices! Thanks again!

-----------

Sketchbook Update:

Sorry! i know i didn't upload last week but i was too busy juggling assignments about. Have a presentation in a few weeks so i've got to get dug into that too! Here is life drawing work from last week and this week (today actually, like 3 hours ago) we had a new model come in which was a refreshing change!) Our teacher taught us about working out the composition which is what i attempted to do in some of these studies. I've made some mistakes that i realized at the end of the drawing (DOH!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are the last life drawing practises. The module is over, so i wont be having life drawing anymore which is a shame really, since i enjoyed them. There are free sessions which i'll try to make an effort to attend depending on time schedule and how tied down i am with other assignments

Members who have read this thread: 1