WIP: Redemption of the Fallen Angel

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WIP: Redemption of the Fallen Angel

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question WIP: Redemption of the Fallen Angel

Hi All my friends and esteemed artists here, i would love to hear ALL honest and good and bad critiques on this piece, which im working on. Hope that i will be able to submit this piece to a future Art comp~

This piece is inspired by the Bible and of course Angels, it spoke of the time when angels were banished from heaven, and i want to touch on the theme of ~ could these Fallen Angels be redeemed? Saved? Have mercy again?

Pls giv ur 2,3,5 CENts worth of thought whatever it may be~ I haven been here for awhile but I am trying to be more involved and also thinking of an education with TAD~~~ so i really appreciate all the response i can get `

Some points i am considering regarding this piece:
    i thought of creating more complex armor and more items but am afraid it will make things too complicated.

i considered creating more hot trail and hotter sparks ~

I considered creating a trail of ghostly form from the angel to look like he fell from the heavens, but am afraid it might conflict things

i thought of detailing heavily the area Bg ard the angel and also the caverns but~ should i?

Cheers! Arigato!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DreadJim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI there matey.

Firstly Wow what a title !!

Secondly I really like this its got all sorts of power and dynamism to it, good work.

However I dont get the fire skid mark things though, would a light from heaven and an unfolding of his bright pristine angel wings not be enough? It seems that you are giving yourself a rendering headache for nothing, Sorry I hate to criticise this as I like the idea a great deal.

Keep at it its very good, all the best

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hi there! Thank you ! Oh yes about this point, i wanted to convey the effect that he is skidding through the ground on HIS KNEES, and it burns,....the agony...i guess i DO have to modify it to look as though he is going at a fast speed across the ground???

And i wanted to paint a God like face figure lookin down upon him what do u think?

Its like Tartarus ground heh~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No god like figure, leave it open and mysterious, why is he moving, you could just have a metamorphosis, you shed the old demonic skin and regain the saintly stuff!

just a thought, all the best with this its very good ( in my humble etc etc.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good so far!
    I would suggest focusing on lightsources on this one as they play such a heavy role in the whole image. Really try to wrap your head around where does it come from, reflect and what kinds of different textures it falls on. The Body is looking good, whereas small detail like the metal bits on his hair look like they could have a more defined light and structure. I would also push the backround values more to create a better sence of space (is it a cave, mountainface, how big is it etc.) I would also try to tone down the texture on the walls as they are slightly distracting. Sharp highlights can be a good and easy indicator of form, but they also tend to flatten the image quite alot if you aren't careful with it's use.

Just my fiddy cents, I hope this helps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I go to TAD. It's cool to think that you are interested. I like the idea and I like where it is at the moment but you have a few issues. First of all, the rendering in this painting is spotty. Is the first read of this painting where you want it to be? because the abs and that one shoulderplate are grabbing a huge amount of my attention. Also, the color is very isolated. The warm and intense colors at the bottom and the super bright colors up top. Overall I would say the image is too saturated in certain places. The shape of the clouds is weird, Because of where you have the wing ending, it looks like you are trying to make the clouds conform the jutting shape of the wing.

On a positive note. The darker wing looks great. The feathers and texture are very well executed.

Keep it up man,

-Evan Norman

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Thyname For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know its been mentioned before but why the skidding on his knees? I like the contrast of the warm and cold colors (although I do think that the contrast is a little to extreme with the warm colors not being well integrated) but is there another way you could convey this without him doing the Fiery Electric Slide? Remember, a character's actions should tell a story. The chains breaking, that's a story. Some indistinct flame markings on the ground? Doesn't tell us anything.

I hope I'm not being tough, but I REALLY love this piece and I want to see it brought to its best!

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dread_Reaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lightship: thank god, ur feedback really made me envivision something new, think i need to plop down another day to create this metamorph' look~ which the demonic skin is shed visually~

Rotor: yes thank u , i will further up the details and do as u say which after looking awhile at the painting the caves do look slight tad over detailed... i will research more on caves and reduce the highlights which is meant as a guide for myself where to put the blocks of rocks....

Thyname: Cool!!! TAD yeah its abit "tad" expensive for me now but i can see that it's worth it, what do you think? you signed up for the 30 month course? how is everything???

I am going to do as you say and reduce the rendering and push the plates into the distance, for his abs...what do you think i can do about it? blur? So it's better to desaturate colours up top do you think? Oh yeah thats supposed to be caves like a huge pit.... as in Tartarus or sth frm the bible where angels were casted down....
    Thank u~

Dread: hey same first name matey! thank you, i really want to make the skidding as part of this message of : this character skids through the ground while he sheds his demonic old self to come to a position where the grace and mercy of God can accept him...therefore i am gooing to improvise your idea of trying to intergrate the warm n extreme colours with the overall piece~~ i don't want to be too literal here to add in a trail of darkness sent from the top all the way to the bottom of his Fiery slide as that would seem like he was just banished from heaven~~~

thank u fren~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is some improvement to the piece i made yesterday~
    i am going to add in the demonic skin flaking off ~ and some motion blur to the angel~ plus a Sword left behind to symbolise the Fallen angel puttin behind his "transgressions, sins etc" to move toward the light~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fix his manboob, its too boobelicious right now.

consider your colours, its whole lot of blue, and a tiny but or orange/yellow. try to incorporate the colours better into the whole piece, so the yellow feels more consistent. right now it feels awkward

Be careful with the glow effect, if everything has a glow effect it ruins the impact, figure out what you want to stand out, and use your special effects on that.

And TAD is worth all the money, if you're low on dough go for a part time class, it is very cheap for what your getting.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

I like this a helluva lot and personally wouldnt fix anything at all, call it done and get in your porfolio mate! Its great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank u all for ur positive and constructive feedback~ due to bette's views i have tried to incorporate a binding look and look to the whole piece and it is more cohesive~ as for his manboobs, it is from actual reference so~ i dont tink it really look so booby lol~ yeah i will try TAD~~~ thank u lightship i adore ur DP~ lol cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi DreadJim

this is looking more balanced already =)

so the manboob, hmm even if its from reference, your rendering of his chest makes it look very round, i've attached redlines over his chest to show you what i mean.

This drawing still got too much effects going on for my taste. makes it too busy.I did a paintover trying to push things a bit down to show you what i mean, feel free to ignore this its an issue of taste i suspect. ( ah yhea and tried to fix his chest in this paintover as well)

i would recommend that you tried to fix all the blurry gradient ish lighting in the background, its undermining your line work and making it look fuzzy.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank u~ i see what you mean! yeah~ i wil soften the glow on his hand and i spotted something as well~~~

the caverns value is nt right~ it should be lighter in colour~~ so i will fix that~ and upload new one~his chest~ yeah ill try flatten abit, now is more like WWE superstars kind u know, the bodybuilders hehe~

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.