Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Teen Challenge 118: Video Game Character Redesign

Thanks
    wow lancer, those colours are freakin amazing, I really, really love this one
    screw the 1 lvl up, more like 5 aha
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spideriser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Andrew, thats also looking real good, loving the cool effect it has

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spideriser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ok heres the promised crits

Jenny7332: ohhh thats awesome! nothin to crit right now. good stuff

colsky: i like that one a lot better. reminds me of frazettas work lookin forward to the colors

ike_ike: nice design man! it is kinda unclear just who youre redesigning though. also, watch out for going too saturated in the shadowed areas. lookn good so far!

Vertical: that looks good but i agree with you, it looks like you just combined two characters rather than redesign them. youve got a whole week left, so keep playin with it. and pokemon heartless could be potentially very epic!

Ohws: haha nice take on this. i like the pose and your color scheme is pretty good. itd be cool to see them both if you have time

pokepetter: oh my god thats awesome. no crits from me besides to go finish it so we can see it in all its awesome glory! (though you do have a whole week left, would be cool to see some backgrond )

Ludic: hmm never heard of that game before. that sketch looks cool and your anatomy got a lot better since i last saw i feel like he could be a little bulkier though. good start!

Wingal: haha nice, i love yoshi! that expression is great (maybe have his tongue hangin out ) and youve got a solid start on the values. maybe play with the proportions a bit and stray away from yoshi's original head-body ratio.

Piemonster: good to see you again like andrew said, the anatomy's a bit off. mainly the stomache: looks like he has a keg belly , it should be concave. i think his legs could be a little bulkier and you could sharpen up the edges, but thats it. lookin forward to your final

Andrew: posted some things in youre sb but ill say em again. HO-LEE-SHIT great improvement man! those clean edges help sooo much! the jacket looks great and i love the smoke. my only deal with it is the legs look a little skinny, but thats not a big thing. awesome dude!

me: definitely an improvement but there are still things i need to work on. i kinda muddled around with the white areas and just happened to get lucky, so white object studies for me! also need to stop relying so much on overlay layers and level corrections. design-wise i would have liked to do something more original or at least more of an illustration, but oh well :/ i need to do some more studies anyway

great work so far guys! this round is gonna be one for the books!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Teen Challenge 118: Video Game Character Redesign

this is like the most posts i've made, ever
    may even finish this time

please produce more carrots for my donkey

Thanks
    Mapping out her design before I start the illustration... Still have no idea
    how I'm going to pull off drawing the mecha bottom half though :/

Thanks
    Lancer: Thanks a bunch, don't think i'm going to continue though.

Ike_Ike Feels like her shoulders are a bit off, looks almost like they are attached in mid air, good colours though .

Thanks
    Ike: I Really like the green glow coming from the helmet.
    Everyones looks great!

Colorings the difficult part for me, I want to make this a digital piece but I might just color it using copics because I'm just getting into photoshop and the graphics tablet has a learning curve. I think I'll try both and try to post some WIPs

Thanks
    Over ambitious illustration time!

Started colouring:

@ PieMonster Looks nice: I like the shading and the sort of golden tone lighting you have in his skin, though that light doesn't seem to translate into highlights in teh leg and forearm plates, the light there is white instead of golden.
    The leg/hoof looks broken and the thigh muscle
    looks too thin to support his body unlike what goats and suchlike look like (very
    strong thighs) What video game character is he? I don't think it's too clear who
    you're redesigning.

I see the sort of sci fi look you're going for with the metal/
    plastic stuff (might want to work on defining that texture more) and red glowy bits, but the red lights don't really feed into functionality,
    they would ruin all stealth and they don't seem to be electronic readings or anything.

I like the layering of the pads and the sort of arachnid/organic feel of the gun as
    well.
    Last edited by jenny7332; May 3rd, 2011 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks
    This is as far as I got, haven't got any more time to work on this until maybe the final day. I'll probably finish it sometime though, really enjoyed painting it.

Apart from that, Andrew Sonea and lancer_idenoure, you guys really outdid yourself, awesome pieces. Also looking forward to seeing what the rest of you come up with, especially you PokePetter, it looks really promising.

Anyways, I tried to work in some of the changes you suggested (stomach) and tried to tighten it up a bit, but it still needs some major work, not really happy with the face.

Good luck to everyone!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PieMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Holy crap there's lots of good stuff here! I won't be a teenager anymore in a year, so I'm doing these challenges while I still have the chance!

Rather than wreck a good character design, I decided to redesign Tingle because he's a joke character IMO whose full personality is not shown, which gave me the idea to explore his darker side. In the game it was funny how you could pop Tingles balloon, but he must have gotten pissed at Link eventually. So in my version he's out to get revenge with his brand new unpoppable jetpack and a ruppee launcher (since he loves ruppees).

Looking at the other entries I think I screwed up the design part of the challenge because his costume is pretty much the same, but at least I got to practice my illustration and rendering skills. Maybe it won't take long to change his costume before the deadline?

Also I'm not sure how the critique systems works cause it would take a long time to comment on everyones stuff, so I'll just comment on the most recent entries. I guess some people just critique when they feel like it and others critique the latest wips? Sorry I am not used to giving crits so I don't know.

And whats up with the attachments thing? I don't know what category to put my art in.

Andrew Sonea - The light hitting the folds on that suit is sexy. Is that supposed to be Megaman? Sorry it's kind of hard to tell, but it sure is badass.

ike ike - Cool I like the blocky look to the armor, makes her look tougher. The thing on the right arm is looking interesting. There seems to be some perspective issues with the legs lining up to the vanishing point, but maybe it's just me.

jenny7332 - I haven't played Cooking Mama so I dunno much about the character, but the way you're presenting the design is great. I hope you leave in the "good job" in the final cause it fills the empty space well. THUMBS UP!

PieMonster - Whoa I'm diggin the suit and the lighting on the body looks great. Only thing I don't get is what did you do to his left leg? It was there in the previous version but now you painted it out? Otherwise good job.

Attachment 1225390

16. The Following User Says Thank You to visoutre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Remember the deadline tomorrow, peeps!

Thanks
    I can't really work more on it now. Here's the process:

1) Posed a model in sketchup, found the angle I wanted, and rendered it.
    2) The default sky isn't nice, so I used a photo as skylight. I also added the shield which I got from google warehouse.
    3) Started to block in the design.
    4) Adjusted lighting and painted some more.

Thanks
    OMG, so many nice pictures!! *___*

Welll, I drew also a picture for this challenge (for the first time!)
    I hope I did everything right

I have chosen Diabolos from Final Fantasy VIII for this competition . It's my favorite G.F. haha ^^
    I drew him as an armor for a human fighter haha :'D

Here are some WIP's and the final picture:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast