Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 130

Thread: Laying down the vision

  1. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 70 Times in 67 Posts
    Really like the poses you drew them in, it's a challenging angle and not something I've seen you draw much before, at least not on this scale. They look like they're existing in a three dimensional space.

    The biggest issues I see are anatomy in the limbs, especially on the bottom creature. What I would suggest is to look at your own arm in that pose to see how the reptiles 'push-up' arm position relates to your own anatomy (and the same for the back legs). The forms themselves feel like they're in perspective but their positioning seems unnatural.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Smith For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Galapagos Islands
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 86 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
    Really like the poses you drew them in, it's a challenging angle and not something I've seen you draw much before, at least not on this scale. They look like they're existing in a three dimensional space.

    The biggest issues I see are anatomy in the limbs, especially on the bottom creature. What I would suggest is to look at your own arm in that pose to see how the reptiles 'push-up' arm position relates to your own anatomy (and the same for the back legs). The forms themselves feel like they're in perspective but their positioning seems unnatural.
    Thanks dude, i should make it more functional, I'll work on that, one thing i was gonna ask is the lighting on the tail clear?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 70 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrispyKream View Post
    Thanks dude, i should make it more functional, I'll work on that, one thing i was gonna ask is the lighting on the tail clear?
    On the raptor I would say it is clear, the shadow is starting roughly where I would imagine the bone/muscle rounds off/plane breaks. On the green creature it seems like the form starts round further out in the tail then becomes vertical and rectangular as it moves closer to the body as the shadow is up higher on the form.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Galapagos Islands
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 86 Times in 80 Posts

    Hybrids

    You have seen this one Trav, but I need critiques for this before the Big One is scanned. the creature here is definitely has a shot for portfolio, critiques from everybody is welcome, subconsciously i see prawns in this
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oni No Tora and 33 sleeping demons For This Useful Post:

    asa

  8. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 70 Times in 67 Posts
    I like the alien and reptile-human hybrid. Maybe try another version of the reptilian looking creature with a more bird-like skeleton or less-human proportions? Right now the body is quite human looking so it's making it seem like a person wearing a mask.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Galapagos Islands
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 86 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
    I like the alien and reptile-human hybrid. Maybe try another version of the reptilian looking creature with a more bird-like skeleton or less-human proportions? Right now the body is quite human looking so it's making it seem like a person wearing a mask.
    I think a sloth/stork mix can work if I can seamlessly blend it
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Galapagos Islands
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 86 Times in 80 Posts
    I revamped the last creature and gave it a more ape/slouched body, and garnished it with a reptilian/fish like head profile, this is almost worthy of zbrush, still gotta practice for the big one( To all viewers plz critique)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Oni No Tora and 33 sleeping demons For This Useful Post:

    asa

  12. #34
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,268
    Thanks
    435
    Thanked 393 Times in 336 Posts
    thats how to start a thread, a massive t-rex on a rampage! nice start man, love the charcoal style sketches and obveously the monster work. would be cool to see some studies of reptiles and some anatomy, i think it would do you well.

    great stuff, Keep posting
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

    "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 70 Times in 67 Posts
    Very nice, this new creature head concept has a classic movie monster feel to it. The body seems much more integrated design-wise. That being said, did you rush the body? have you thought about doing a final of this before you sculpt it in Zbrush? also, before heading into zbrush or maya I'd really suggest doing some skeleton studies for this creature, I've found that when modeling/sculpting creatures I get better results when I have a clear idea of the bone structure.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  14. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Galapagos Islands
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 86 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
    Very nice, this new creature head concept has a classic movie monster feel to it. The body seems much more integrated design-wise. That being said, did you rush the body? have you thought about doing a final of this before you sculpt it in Zbrush? also, before heading into zbrush or maya I'd really suggest doing some skeleton studies for this creature, I've found that when modeling/sculpting creatures I get better results when I have a clear idea of the bone structure.
    Its putting the patience into the work that I have to overcome bro, the skeleton and muscles are in my head, but to put them down i gotta tear some mental walls. for the body i rushed but i wanted some mystery also to it, this won't be the model sheet, the creature will be a zbrush model, the other creature, thats the big one, I might add a creature head portrait to it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  15. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 70 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrispyKream View Post
    Its putting the patience into the work that I have to overcome bro, the skeleton and muscles are in my head, but to put them down i gotta tear some mental walls. for the body i rushed but i wanted some mystery also to it, this won't be the model sheet, the creature will be a zbrush model, the other creature, thats the big one, I might add a creature head portrait to it.
    Then I'm going to issue you a challenge. Take one of these creature concepts, or any concept you like and develop it for at least 5 times as long what you usually would work on a drawing. Render the lighting and texture the surfaces with tones rather than lines or single dark tones describing shadows.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  16. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Galapagos Islands
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 86 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
    Then I'm going to issue you a challenge. Take one of these creature concepts, or any concept you like and develop it for at least 5 times as long what you usually would work on a drawing. Render the lighting and texture the surfaces with tones rather than lines or single dark tones describing shadows.
    I'm down
    Last edited by Oni No Tora and 33 sleeping demons; October 16th, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  17. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Galapagos Islands
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 86 Times in 80 Posts

    doodles

    A few sketches i worked on the day before
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Oni No Tora and 33 sleeping demons For This Useful Post:

    asa

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Laying
    By FlameDragon in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: November 16th, 2007, 12:40 AM
  2. Laying Reinforcement
    By zao75231 in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM
  3. Art: Laying...
    By Halflife in forum FINISHED ART & ARTWORK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 25th, 2005, 06:41 AM
  4. Art: some junk I had laying around
    By hawkprey in forum FINISHED ART & ARTWORK
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2003, 11:29 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook