Sketchbook: Laying down the vision - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol what a poetic way to put it thanks man, Ive done alot of anatomy studies for the creature, instead of just going at it, Im beginning to have a process down

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol i was just kidding around man. haha. I like the latest updates a lot really. Keep experimenting with the water colour, its working really really nicely with your drawing style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

I was browsing through here various times in the past weeks and I noticed that you haven't been updating.
    I Just wanted to let you know.

so get your shit together.

Sincerely,

Jeff Bartzis

Last edited by Jeff Bartzis; October 29th, 2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: made the tone a bit more hateful

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KK,

Noticed you havn't posted, I realise you're internet is down so please make an update from an internet cafe or my place on the weekend to catch up on your missed days.

Also, you're reckless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, been a long time, havent had any stuff to post, try this one, just a starter for shading and textures, worked on ink for so long
    i start to under appreciate graphite, thats why i think its important to stick to all mediums if you can

Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

asa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, looking good. Great to see you rendering with pencil.

Couple things on the raptor,

I noticed on your pen sketch a lot of your lines for texture/scales and the like feet like they're wrapping around the forms. When shading, are you shading in the directions of the forms? sort of like cross contours like Angelo had us draw when we did the skeleton studies at AI.

Also, because of the placement of the foot closest to us this sketch doesn't feel like it's occupying space quite as well as the version you did in pen on previous pages. The angles of the femur and fibula/tibia suggest that the legs are in very similar positions so I would expect the left foot to be further back, closer to the picture plane.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
    Hey man, looking good. Great to see you rendering with pencil.

Couple things on the raptor,

I noticed on your pen sketch a lot of your lines for texture/scales and the like feet like they're wrapping around the forms. When shading, are you shading in the directions of the forms? sort of like cross contours like Angelo had us draw when we did the skeleton studies at AI.

Also, because of the placement of the foot closest to us this sketch doesn't feel like it's occupying space quite as well as the version you did in pen on previous pages. The angles of the femur and fibula/tibia suggest that the legs are in very similar positions so I would expect the left foot to be further back, closer to the picture plane.
    I'm not sure man, not intentionally shading in the directions of the forms, but if i do it's only because if it looks right i'll go with it

as for the feet yea they actually are tightroped, which makes looks it will fall, and it is totally off balance, thanks for catching that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shelved Ideas

Ive been looking at a couple of my old stuff from 09 in college, and i noticed back then there was a sense of
    giving the work meaning because concept class required it, the first two is from last and this yr thou, so Im
    posting these ideas because I want to continue them, they were shelved because the dedication, and patience
    required to the finals wasn't available at the time, now its different and I really am excited to re-introduce them,
    as long as i get days off work

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

asa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your expressive use of line. There is a lot of emotion in it, I can see you through it, and I like that.
    Also, high five for all the dinosaurs.
    Cheers.

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily. -Zig Ziglar

:: sketchbook :: website :: email :: facebook ::

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RachelRalston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rachael, I stress giving emotion to the piece the most, Im getting much more in tune with that process," breathe life into your art, it really works and gives vitality, Im extremely busy with work so I haven't had time to post, I really want to check your work and critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Props for scenario

Been awhile but lets get this started, I created these awhile ago but haven't had time to post, the purpose of these roughs/thumbs were to demonstrate getting disciplined use of ink, making sure every piece has a function, which i made sure, clarity, design, and putting patience into it, I spent 17 hours on one project so its a little better now.

but While I was drawing I felt I lost direction and feeling, there's no action, drama, so I went blinded to it, had a colleague verify that with me, I made alot of these but it doesn't satisfy me, so I decided that ill go with a few scenario thumbs I made and see what happens,.
    I don't show these often as I want the final to be solid but enjoy anyway and critiques are always welcome

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

asa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No crits, just wanted to say how awesome your last post is... It's frikken awesome! Jeez, must take so much careful thought when using ink.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thanks Sycra, It may seem very gruelling, but getting disciplined is great in for long term, if you look at my first posts it tells a different story lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your inks. They are insane. You realize how insane they are right? cuz they are. Awesome work! Thanks a lot for the comment, really appreciate it. Keep posting!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks vertical

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your little collab of doodles, i think its really effective to use such small images and mash them into something that makes sense uve reminded me i need to finish my real sketchbook haha i think ill go pen all the way perhaps :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks A faux, The small images do help in having clarity for an idea, Can't wait till I start doing finals, thats what I'm excited aboutDD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Precision Strike

Tactical Strike, I thought a 3point perspective would make it more dramatic, enjoy!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

asa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking really nice KK.

The latest is sick, cool three point camera angle with just enough detail for the elements on the ground, powerful looking explosion that looks like it's protruding into the sky. Reminds me of your raptor drawing from a page or two back, a difficult angle to draw and executed very well.

A few comments, not necessarily critique, just observations.

1. Because of the camera angle and the position of the jet 'before' and possibly almost directly above the explosion I'm assuming the jet is either a harrier type jet capable of staying in one place or it released a bomb some time before and is just now flying over the impact.

2. Did you intend that we believe this specific jet dropped the bomb?

One suggestion,

3. I'd love to see a final of this, if you make one I'd suggest trying a number of different fighter jet designs, I like some on the previous pages a bit more and this one's structure doesn't feel like it's in perspective as solidly.

Also, really like the rocket installation concepts above, keep pushing hard to develop your patience. With colour, additional rendering, texturing to describe surfaces you'll be showing everything that modelers and texture artists need from a concept artist/designers in production. When I'm modeling from concept I always like to see perspective drawings like the ones you have here but I'd also like to see some precise orthographic drawings (placed on image planes we can make sure we hit the proportions the design team is looking for exactly).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much appreciated for the comment Tbone,

I was creating A harrier style plane, I tried to tilt the aircraft's upwards to back it up and make it look like its thrusting back from an explosion,

Also I'd looking for viewers to make up their mind if the plane dropped it or not, just make you think a bit about it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nude creature

Quick sketch....yes that's a penis

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

asa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spartiate

This one has bizarre flaws in it, I WILL do another one, i promised myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quickies

Swordsman poses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the poses of the latest characters, they feel grounded and have volume. Inspires me to try drawing more dynamic poses.

As far as suggestions/critiques,
    1. I would suggested tracing the gestures for the first two drawings, and the newest on the right, capturing the gestures but with more precision in the linework, volumes, and rendering. This is one approach I've heard one of the art directors sometimes uses at work for full compositions, he'll do a loose sketch with a great deal of energy capturing everything he needs, then he'll take a look at the drawing, some reference and 'trace' (he changes what he needs to though) over the original sketch refining perspective/volumes/linework/composition, followed by another sketch over top to make any final corrections before he creates the finished piece.

Keep going man, I can't wait to see what you make once you are in Photoshop again.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Smith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks a bunch man,

For the first pose I really liked the idea of a primitive creature picking up a weapon and trying to understand it after fighting the warriors who used it against him

For the suggestion of director's/teacher's method of tracing figures I used feel it would be a bit wrong but I understand it's just a great way to make your process and the get the results you want faster

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KK, time to update your thread.

You've been trolled.

-Travis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EYES

basic sketches,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Future Photoshop paintings

I wanted these post a week ago, but the break got the best of me, Good things are going to happen, I really want to paint these doodles very soon.

I don't advise chaining yourself to the desk, life's waaaay too short, enjoy, critiques are always welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome ink work, cool dinosaurs

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ElricSlinger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool to see these eye studies, do you plan to do more in the future?

Really interested to see the thumbs on the top left of the first page of post #88 taken further, really cool scenario, I'm picturing some landing craft hovering over jungle canopy on a planet where dinosaur-like animals are discovered by human explorers. The rest of page is a little hard to read, have you thought about drawing on some paper with a finer tooth for these sorts of pencil drawings?

Really like the composition at the top left of the second page, has a Sargent painting feel and the shadow shape indications for the eye sockets, bottom of nose, under the lips works really well.
    On the other thumbnails I'm noticing that black hatching indication for the backgrounds because of the spaces where you didn't crosshatch/hatch draw my eyes there. Have you tried using a thicker, more opaque black felt for the shadow shapes?
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E10sOreXrC...painting51.jpg
    http://www.readingcomplex.com/Comple...apeimage_1.png

Love the thumbs on the last page, cool compositions, use of colour and a more clear seperation between background and foreground elements. My favourites are the high altitude ships flying towards the camera, the jet against the yellow light/moon, and the two knights in red (the knight on the right in particular).

When you get your tablet check out this tutorial on digital painting, I'm reading again, lots of great advice.
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm#top

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3