MyPaint

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: MyPaint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MyPaint

free painting program that is basically designed for drawpads, fucking cool thing since it has unlimited canvas and hell of variety of brushes. finding that its really stable compared of using GIMP with a pad or even artweaver. the link says linux but its also windows program

http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cryoxzonomony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've tryed that on both my desktop pc and my ls 800. Its a great little app. The brushes are very responsive. The only thing I really miss is more format options. Psd is one of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I sometimes have a problem on XP with MyPaint. It doesn't create smooth circles but weird polygon things.

I do like the brushes it has, the interface is a bit confusing to me but otherwise for free I do recommend it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just recently tried a few programs and for the price (which is nil!) MyPaint is really good. If I'm not mistaken, you can download a plug-in for Gimp to convert the .ora format, but I'm not sure about that for Photoshop. That's its big downer, that and the paint brushes didn't really work well with me. For pencils and markers though, it's great!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I tried it a while ago. For some reason the program didn't detect when I made a mark on canvas. Finally started working after changing the compability mode to Windows XP (I got Vista now).

It has some nice collection of brushes and decent performance which is very rare for free digital painting programs. Still basic editing tools such as lasso would be good. I'll keep an eye on developement of this program for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the dev team wants the focus to be on distraction-free creation, not image editing. So they omit things like cropping, selection, and filters. You can use a program like GIMP for those.

But check it out, MyPaint's come a long way in a short amount of time. The unstable development version also has lots of cool things like alpha locking and mouse-based canvas manipulation.

It's a cool program, I love it.

Oh, and hello everyone. My first post here. Nice to meet you all.

~-~Forgive the stupidity, I'm stupid.~-~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well. I would never think of cropping and lasso tool as distraction. It's just two more buttons on the menu. I use lasso tool for example when I sketch lots of small designs on one page and I want to move them around to better fill the blank spaces of the canvas. It's digital medium which should have it's own advantages so removing some functionality just beacause you want to emulate drawing on paper doesn't make sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see why the lasso and crop tools are just for image editing or distractions. Anyone who has worked traditionally are often known to cut images and paste them on other media for mixed media results.

Lasso tools are also for masking. If you work with traditional airbrush or other mediums, you'll find masking is essential for working on drawings.

No one is asking for a lens flare or difference clouds filter, but cropping, and the lasso tool are needed. It doesn't hurt to have a transform tool either but at least the first two are no more distracting than a stencil or ruler with masking fluid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I don't see why the lasso and crop tools are just for image editing or distractions. Anyone who has worked traditionally are often known to cut images and paste them on other media for mixed media results.

Lasso tools are also for masking. If you work with traditional airbrush or other mediums, you'll find masking is essential for working on drawings.

No one is asking for a lens flare or difference clouds filter, but cropping, and the lasso tool are needed. It doesn't hurt to have a transform tool either but at least the first two are no more distracting than a stencil or ruler with masking fluid.
    We currently have basic cropping (in the sense of 'visually distinct output rectangle' -- the canvas remains infinite). Check out 'Document Frame' in the File menu, if you have a recent enough MyPaint.

You make a good argument for lasso. The question is then, how can it be implemented without 'opening a whole can of worms'?
    Consider GIMP's free select tool as a template. How can we implement free-select/lasso without adding cumbersome tool options?
    At minimum, a 'antialiasing' toggle seems necessary. If you believe lasso is the way to do airbrushing, then you probably want feathering as well.
    Personally I think a temporary layer + 'Lock alpha' brush mode is a more natural way to do airbrush 'stencils', particularly as MyPaint's 'pick brush from canvas' functionality (and MyPaint's very recently added scratchpad functionality, which is EXTREMELY COOL, BTW make it pretty easy to quickly build and work on temp layers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the program...but I just wish they would make it more accessible to Tablet PC users. Mypaint is even more keyboard requiring than Photoshop. Particularly in regards to the infinite canvas.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice program

Quote Originally Posted by Cryoxzonomony View Post
    free painting program that is basically designed for drawpads, fucking cool thing since it has unlimited canvas and hell of variety of brushes. finding that its really stable compared of using GIMP with a pad or even artweaver. the link says linux but its also windows program

http://mypaint.intilinux.com/
    I just added this to my taskbar, it reminds me of Paint Tool Sai and I really like the pen brush. The only gripe I have about this program is that It doesn't have a PSD format for saving; but, it's still really nice and I don't have any problem with converting to PNG to ink.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if this one has been mentioned, but there is an image browser similar to Adobe Bridge that can create thumbnails for .ORA (within the browser). It's Called XnView, it's free and it's great. It has a lot of plugins to add to the program to make it even better (like slide videos, riot plugin, etc).

Get the program; Here

and get the ORA plugin; Here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ion9 View Post
    We currently have basic cropping (in the sense of 'visually distinct output rectangle' -- the canvas remains infinite). Check out 'Document Frame' in the File menu, if you have a recent enough MyPaint.

You make a good argument for lasso. The question is then, how can it be implemented without 'opening a whole can of worms'?
    Consider GIMP's free select tool as a template. How can we implement free-select/lasso without adding cumbersome tool options?
    At minimum, a 'antialiasing' toggle seems necessary. If you believe lasso is the way to do airbrushing, then you probably want feathering as well.
    Personally I think a temporary layer + 'Lock alpha' brush mode is a more natural way to do airbrush 'stencils', particularly as MyPaint's 'pick brush from canvas' functionality (and MyPaint's very recently added scratchpad functionality, which is EXTREMELY COOL, BTW make it pretty easy to quickly build and work on temp layers.
    Myself, I don't airbrush, but when I use MyPaint, I just wish I could move a drawing beside another one without having to use another program for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i use mypaint for rendering and switch to photoshop for editing and adjusting (i use .png). this is really only a problem if you are a stickler for retaining layers. even in photoshop i flatten every once in a while and dont really go past 2 or 3 layers. after im done adjusting its just flatten, save, tab to mypaint, f5 and keep painting

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.