Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

What to do when YOU lack creative juices?

It's been going on like this for almost a few years! I just can't think of anything, when I draw something, it just doesn't feel 'wow' to me. Or, I'll start on something and just stop completely because it just lost it's 'charm' to me. After this painful process I just sit around trying to draw interesting pieces while doing studies. Then i take long breaks, hoping it will come back to me, but no!! D:

I listen to music, go out on nature walks and anything to everything to get my creative juices running .

So, have you ever felt this way before, and what did you do to cope with it!??!?

--
    edit 5/1/2011:

thank you all for such great responses. I started up a sketchbook (again) and I've been doing a lot of what has been told, and I'm getting better!

I decided to examine everything with a more careful eye. and my apperciation and will to draw is coming back /cry tears of joy

so maybe it was because i was being lazy? but... wow. I think studying and drawing over and over, eventhough nothing really is on my mind really helps my gears start moving. I got a bunch of ideas poping into my head all around yay!

And I've been studying art a lot.... hands... faces.... rrrrrrr.
    Last edited by Marlo; May 1st, 2011 at 04:05 AM.
    Sketchbook

I am going to be amazing! .

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    The whole point of studies is to not do something interesting. Anatomy studies don't have to be perfect or interesting, it's just studies. People don't have something called creative juices either. It's a mix of motivation, fear, lack of self-confidence and perception. Just keep sketching and something should come up.

Thanks
    Thank yyou ^__^. I do studies for that reason, I have a terrible time trying to explain what I am thinking, I am sorry >.<. and I hope so, it feels like my cranium has been dead!!!!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Do you like music?

This type of music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXNBii70Xw

Or this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoEw2m_fMv8

I like them. They are very inspirational. They are trailer music for movies and video games. They don't sell them to the public, (Two Steps From Hell has a public album though) so you can listen to them for free on youtube.
    Last edited by Vay; April 23rd, 2011 at 12:37 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Don't know man...wish I had some good advice. I get inspiration from all kinds of sources, both internal and external, and never have the time to do more than make quick notes and sketches for 90% of it. I read a lot...about science, archaeology, science fiction, fantasy, history. Also listen to a lot of music...Sisters of Mercyis very visually stimulating to me, so is early Bruce Springsteen, Manfred Mann, Rush, Zeppelin, Floyd, Shriekback, Robyn Hitchcock...stuff that is a bit off-kilter or tells a story.

Might investigate "creative thinking" breakers...way back there was a thing called the "Creative Whack Pack" or some crazy thing like that. There is a cool book called "Fantasy Genesis" I believe, on creating interesting concepts by using role playing dice.

Anyway, just do some research into brainstorming and creative energy. Good luck!
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Get yourself a drawing partner - someone to bounce ideas off, share sketches with or just run crits past.
    Losing drive, motivation and creativity can be a curse of freelance individuals or those learning by themselves.
    Join a CA activity of the week (EOW, CHOW, COW, POW, IDW) - you should get enough feedback to keep you going.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    Rehydrate. You'll be pissing like a race horse in no time Seriously though, like Venger said it's quite refreshing to be in the company people who love art as well, and geek out all you want. Just don't lose sight of the goal.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Have you tried drawing with your off-hand? The weirdness of the situation might stir something.
    Doodle while being distracted?
    Attempt one of the weekly challenges or the Daily Sketch Group?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Just doodle, it doesn't have to be good, or for something or for someone else. Agree with Hamsta about the Community Activities though, especially the DSG.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Get yourself a drawing partner - someone to bounce ideas off, share sketches with or just run crits past.
    Losing drive, motivation and creativity can be a curse of freelance individuals or those learning by themselves.
    Join a CA activity of the week (EOW, CHOW, COW, POW, IDW) - you should get enough feedback to keep you going.
    I agree with this. It's more difficult for those who live in a rural area that lacks actual creatives who share similar interests, and very challenging when you have to go at it alone, isolated in the middle of nowhere. A drawing partner online is a good idea, but is it really the same as having one in person (or locally)?

I tried to explain this particular situation to a professional counselor dealing with personal issues but I don't think she really 'gets' it at all since she's not an artist herself, nor trained to deal with them. I refuse to go to an art therapist since it's expensive and I tried it once. She asked the wrong questions that did'nt really help steer the direction.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim1099 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Well, if I feel that I'm lacking "creative juices" I try to get myself into somewhere where I'm utterly bored. Usually it's a long bus drive (with no music, no reading, no drawing, just stare out of the window) and when I zone out and get bored my brains desperately try to come out with interesting ideas or start to concentrate things I find interesting (shop windows, people's hair-dos, dead animals in the road) that might bounce an idea or a feeling I can use.
    Another is boring lectures at school (ones that I don't really have to pay attention to). I usually scribble and there's always one or two nice ideas or thumbs amidst the doodles by the end of it.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1099 View Post
    A drawing partner online is a good idea, but is it really the same as having one in person (or locally)?
    No, but it doesn't have to be the same, it just has to work. And online activities work pretty well for me.

Also I've discovered that nothing works as well as avoiding other work. Fill up your schedule with stuff you really hate to do and you'll be amazed at how much creativity crawls out of the woodwork.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

21. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, whenever I lose my "creative juices", I take a break. However, this usually lasts for a week or two, rather than several years.

I find, what works best for me, is that I find some friends to draw/paint with. I don't worry about the outcome. I don't worry about whether I like it or anybody likes it. It's just the matter of doing it. Also, I try not to have any expectations. For me, when I have expectations and the painting doesn't meet it, I get worse. It's a spiraling downhill from there until I crash and burn.

You say that you took breaks, etc... Everytime that you come back, it's worse. The thing that I find about doing artwork, is that, if you take a lot of time off, you don't return back to the level you were before you took the time off. There's that adjustment period that you have to go through to get back to your basic level. So, doodle, draw something fun. When you get tired of it, stop. Who cares. Hopefully, you find that "spark" that makes doing the artwork fun, and not drudgery.

Dougie

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Hoppes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,555 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Don't fall into this kind of pop-psych trap. Discipline is required to make it as an artist. Do you think your boss is going to listen to you make excuses when you aren't feeling creative? No, they will just fire your ass. You need to work and develop your skill sets until you have the proficiency needed to be professional. So on your most uncreative day you still turn out pro work. Otherwise you will never make it as a professional artist.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Your thread makes me thirsty for Ocean Spray cranberry.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

27. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hoppes View Post
    Well, whenever I lose my "creative juices", I take a break. However, this usually lasts for a week or two, rather than several years.

I find, what works best for me, is that I find some friends to draw/paint with. I don't worry about the outcome. I don't worry about whether I like it or anybody likes it. It's just the matter of doing it. Also, I try not to have any expectations. For me, when I have expectations and the painting doesn't meet it, I get worse. It's a spiraling downhill from there until I crash and burn.

You say that you took breaks, etc... Everytime that you come back, it's worse. The thing that I find about doing artwork, is that, if you take a lot of time off, you don't return back to the level you were before you took the time off. There's that adjustment period that you have to go through to get back to your basic level. So, doodle, draw something fun. When you get tired of it, stop. Who cares. Hopefully, you find that "spark" that makes doing the artwork fun, and not drudgery.

Dougie
    You from Williston? I was just in the area yesterday before heading off to Church St. lol.

As for taking breaks, of course, it's the ideal thing to do when you're tired or need to restore creative energy. That's important or else the brain will get fried or lose focus. I've learned that the best way to go about it is to take things in small chunks toward the actual goal or end result of the project.

I always take my moleskine sketchbook with me anywhere I go out of the house. No matter what. It's an idea generator and also to record any form of inspiration or blueprint of what I can develop later on. Or doing drawing exercises on it.

Drive is an important quality.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim1099 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, if I feel that I'm lacking "creative juices" I try to get myself into somewhere where I'm utterly bored. Usually it's a long bus drive (with no music, no reading, no drawing, just stare out of the window) and when I zone out and get bored my brains desperately try to come out with interesting ideas or start to concentrate things I find interesting (shop windows, people's hair-dos, dead animals in the road) that might bounce an idea or a feeling I can use.
    Another is boring lectures at school (ones that I don't really have to pay attention to). I usually scribble and there's always one or two nice ideas or thumbs amidst the doodles by the end of it.
    Absolutely! Boredom is the mother of invention. Often my most creative times are when I'm doing really hard, repetitious physical labor, like digging ditches, raking (not that hard but)...or driving...anything that keeps my left brain pretty well occupied, allowing my more intuitive, chaos brain to take over.

Also...it really helps to just be curious about things...maybe study industrial design or biology a bit...that is all about how things work.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

31. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you guys, this was great advice! . I'll explore moreee!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    dont know if this matches your problem 100% but i discovered it in an old thread and it helped me a lot with drawing/discipline/procrastination/etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1WC6hNTONg

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    relationship which caused a lot of negative emotions killed my art inspiration. Now that crap is over with I hope to find what i used to like in drawing and painting.

i find the fact that I have a pencil or brush in my hand again is great. I still lack imagination to a degree but it will come once my brain has readjusted. Just enjoy creating rather than what you create. Its the process and journey that drives the artist, not the outcome. I just leave the outcome for the viewers

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfeeras View Post
    dont know if this matches your problem 100% but i discovered it in an old thread and it helped me a lot with drawing/discipline/procrastination/etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1WC6hNTONg
    This video feels related it to me more and more not turning up to Uni lately and putting off my assignments. My problem is that I'd wake up in the morning, know I'd have the choice to either attend my lecture or to stay in bed, and I'd elect to stay in bed and wear the consequences. I didn't used to be this way, I actually used to attend all of my tutorials and hand in all of my assignments on time, but I've gotten worse. This video presents my problem as part of the solution I think.

I'm sorry if this is off topic from the thread, but this video resounded with me, just backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    Do you like music?

This type of music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXNBii70Xw

Or this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoEw2m_fMv8

I like them. They are very inspirational. They are trailer music for movies and video games. They don't sell them to the public, (Two Steps From Hell has a public album though) so you can listen to them for free on youtube.
    The Generic trailer scores, I do enjoy them quite a lot (Immediate music, X-Ray Dog, Two steps from hell, etc) They are quite Epic but what they lack is an individual sense of character. I feel the vast majority of them can be placed parallel with your generic battle scene footage and they can all work, but.. lack a form of depth or history on it's own. They are almost a blank slate of composition.

So, that disclaimer over with, here are my favorites to play on loop from that Genre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HtCquBppTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdh...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrnEKq2Yy7U

By contrast, here are some songs which are equally compelling, however they have this element of placing you in a deep and mystical pool of imagination and thought, where the unified spirit of a culture or people seems into your mind and you experience an expansive, yet superficial taste of everything that mystical fairy pool can offer you. I think the reason they're better is because they're made with a particular theme in mind. They're designed for a purpose and to make you feel something. Like there's beauty, or a lingering and unforgotten hope in someone's memories. Or that you're trying to embody an old and wise fortress that's served it's years protecting it's inhabitants, and now it's the shell of what it once was, but has maintained it's grandeur and scale despite the weathering of time. Or a nation of former splendor in Limbo because of hardships. That's what I feel when I hear this music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5CIpMFo4Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6uVeCzUhw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om_BKWttz18

Anyway, excuse my little rant.. I'll get back to trying to finish these law case studies now.
    Last edited by Beeston; April 24th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    usually when I lack "creative juices" I get really frustrated with myself, and then it's even more difficult to draw something good. Then I draw a total "I DON'T EVEN CARE ANYMORE" picture to vent. It usually works.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRooster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When I don't have any good ideas and everything I draw turns into something horrible... well then I start just practicing.

While I practice and draw from life it doesn't matter to me if it turns good or bad. The most important thing is that I learn something.
    Usually when I do that I get new ideas and can draw stuff again and be kind of satisfied with it.

I try to draw everyday because I'm afraid that I'll stop and not draw for months.
    Last edited by InvisibleQuail; April 24th, 2011 at 10:12 PM.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InvisibleQuail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ANDREWS WEBSITE I am available for work
    REIGN OF THE GODS strategic fantasy warfare board game

42. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewGaia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So, have you ever felt this way before, and what did you do to cope with it!??!?
    LSD, wine and bergamot tea. Sex.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Studies i do when i feel i need technique, i`m rusty, lets do something , doesnt matter if a bit more tedious for a while and pay the dues, but that cant be your entire experience.

Ideas and creativity dont depend on rendering skill or your knowlege of anatomy, observation is not just about noticing how the planes behave on the light, you may be drawing a subject on the street and observing all of these things but totally missing others.

So take time to observe, but observe differently, less pragmatism and more vitality, look at the people, look at the places, how do different things makes you feel, what kinda music plays, whats the story, read, taste some food, visit a new place. Those planes will be there always, but you may totally be letting life and real spark pass you by if thats all you plan on ever observing.

Sometimes is simply time to stop a little and refresh. Charge batteries and then go back.

Therees always acticities were you can exercise both sides, like the ones here or just brainstorm for fun and make little challenges for yourself without being too formal
    Last edited by JDSart; April 25th, 2011 at 01:32 AM.

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ReneOchoNueve View Post
    So take time to observe, but observe differently, less pragmatism and more vitality, look at the people, look at the places, how do different things makes you feel, what kinda music plays, whats the story, read, taste some food, visit a new place. Those planes will be there always, but you may totally be letting life and real spark pass you by if thats all you plan on ever observing.
    ASK QUESTIONS...what if those people were robots...what if they were made of crystal...what if they had four arms...wheels instead of legs...were evolved from insects...birds...machines. What if the subway train was jet-powered...upside-down, underwater, on Mars. What if fairies were 7' tall and kinda pissed off all the time. I mean...how the hell do you keep up with this stuff?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

50. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Leave the F***KIN' sticks! Hop the LIRR into Manhattan and visit a museum, go to a park, stand in the middle of Time Square.

Long Island can suck the life out of you!
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Ill give you my favorite quote from Chuck Close when asked what inspires his painting.

"Inspiration is for amateurs. I just get to work"

Ill also throw in this little bonus, when I feel down and demotivated I pop on " Lead the field" by Earl Nightingale, a no nonsenses 50s dude who gives it to you straight.Always cheers me up and gets me back on the horse. Also, as soon as your motivation is "this months rent" you'll know that you cant lay about waiting for inspiration, in fact, is almost laughable. If I don't paint, I don't eat and I don't have a home.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

53. The Following User Says Thank You to timpaatkins For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast