Sketchbook: Candra's Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Candra's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, nice studies with those bones, I see you are getting a good idea of how they look and how they are, but it would be also very good for you to check how they work together with the body, at least with femur and the foot.

and thanks for commenting on my stuff again!

Nada importa morir, pero no vivir es horrible.
    ----

I have a S.KETCH.BOOK.!!

and a blog (with animation stuff): http://animatedskycat.blogspot.mx/

and a tumblr (with random stuff): http://arturoarias.tumblr.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the bone studies are good in themselves for learning about perspective. Especially the last two there.

Posemaniacs is a good site but limited because it's not actually using real people for your references but pixelovely.com uses photographs of real people. You might want to give that a look.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my sketchbook (and yay another scot!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darkthur, thanks re my bones. Yep, definitely going to work on fitting things together eventually but right now I'm concentrating on each separate section. Working on knees at the moment then it's on to ankles, feet and pelvis, femur. After that I'll try putting them all together with muscles on top and see how that looks. Pretty boring in a sketchbook I know, all these bone studies, so I'll try to put some other stuff in to break up the monotony a bit. And you're welcome! I like looking at your SB for inspiration and to see what you're doing with your figure work because you're way ahead of me in that area.

Caspia, yeah, the posemaniacs site is handy for some things because the figures have muscle and tendons showing and thats handy for me to look at and try to reproduce in my own work. I've heard of pixelovely - thanks muchly for the link. They have lots of cool pics of reptiles if it's the site I'm thinking of, so I'll definitely check out their people pics too. Think I need to get some basics under my belt first before trying any more fully skinclad people! Haha, yeah, another Scot! Coolio. I spotted that on your profile but notice you're located in Iceland. Whats it like up there with those volcanoes going off? We keep getting the ash clouds from them and it's messing with our weather no end. Don't know what happened to summer these last two years...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The volcanoes are just the troll the rest of Europe as far as I can tell. Doesn't affect me much where I am tbh but it's very funny to hear everyone else complain about it, as ever. The countryside is gorgeous here I should take some time to attempt landscapes with it, now that we have about 20 hours of sunlight.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.
    My Sketchbook.
    My Tumblr.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, yeah always got to be moaning about the weather. It's like a national pastime. I've only ever seen Iceland in pictures and on TV but it looks spectacular. Really prehistoric and unusual and a perfect backdrop for dragons. If you ever get time for taking pictures and don't mind a stranger on the internet plundering them...

Anyway, back to work. A short interlude for some colour work I think, break up the monotony a bit. Most of these are really old but I don't have any new personal stuff so it's these or nothing.

All C&C welcome and thanks for looking.

Name:  black arches.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  15.3 KB

Name:  dunrobin.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  fire mountains.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  lowsun.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  purple loch shin.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  red loch shin.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  yellow loch shin.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  24.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And back to more recent stuff. I'm putting these in a seperate post because I get easily confused by the attachment manager.

First is my first feeble attempt to paint a sphere in corel painter. Think I messed up the brush/paint choices by grabbing bristle and acrylic because thats what I'm used to traditionally, but it looks very scrubby and weird... An interesting and addictive experience though so I'll be doing more soon for sure.

Last is a bunch of bone studies - knees, ankles and feet. Couple more of those then onto the pelvis and femur. Fun.

Name:  Painter Circle_001.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  17.3 KB

Name:  Knees I.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  210.9 KB

Name:  Knees II.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  219.9 KB

Name:  Knees III.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  216.2 KB

Name:  Knees IV.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  202.4 KB

Name:  Foot I.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  209.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latest batch of bone studies. The pelvis was difficult. Hopefully the more I draw it, the easier it'll get...

Name:  Foot II.jpg
Size:  216.4 KB

Name:  Foot III.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  197.5 KB

Name:  Foot IV.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  207.1 KB

Name:  Pelvis I.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  214.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Havent updated this sketchbook for a bit. Been busy with other projects but I've got a few more bone studies to put up.

A few more of these and full leg studies and I'll start working on muscles. Any comments/suggestions very much appreciated as usual.

Cheers

Name:  Femur I.jpg
Size:  212.8 KB

Name:  Femur II.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  205.5 KB

Name:  Pelvis II.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  239.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the bone studies very much, altough I think drawing the combination of bones and muscles would have more advantages on your full-body studies. Keep it up!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DvrJeroen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jarkuzy! I hear you on the bones and muscles combos but I'm nothing if not pedantic in my study methods. I cant work on muscles until I know how it feels to draw the bones if that makes any sense?

One more disconnected bone study then I'll move on to more complex stuff. Really just wanted to post my latest wip. It's a rough idea for an illustration to accompany a post apocalyptic short story I've got on submission. Just in the idea storming stage at the moment so if anyone has any suggestions for improvements, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks

Name:  Pevlis & Femur.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  216.9 KB

Name:  Initial Idea Thumbnail.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  359.7 KB

Name:  003 (558x800).jpg
Views: 537
Size:  233.8 KB Name:  002 (562x800).jpg
Views: 543
Size:  262.6 KB

Name:  Old Man Dig Sketch.jpg
Size:  65.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ouch. Been a while since I updated this sketchbook. Must get busy...

Latest batch of anatomy studies. Leg muscles in this post, arms next.

Name:  Full leg.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  151.9 KB

Name:  Leg Muscles I.jpg
Size:  191.4 KB

Name:  Leg Muscles III.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  176.5 KB

Name:  Leg Muscles IV.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  181.0 KB

Name:  Leg Muscles V.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  196.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you've been working quite hard with all those anatomy drawings! I think they are good, perhaps you could also work with some form while drawing those schemes by adding some more light and volume to them. Who knows, you could get some good practice for both topics; anatomy and volume, in the same place!

Nada importa morir, pero no vivir es horrible.
    ----

I have a S.KETCH.BOOK.!!

and a blog (with animation stuff): http://animatedskycat.blogspot.mx/

and a tumblr (with random stuff): http://arturoarias.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Darkthur! Thats a good suggestion to include some shading and work on form along with the anatomy. I'll keep it in mind for my next session.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Havent got much to update in here because so much of it's related to publishing rights, but here's a couple of pieces.

First is a sketch for a Wendigo illustration for a horror magazine and the second two are random panels from a webcomic I'm working on. Been trying out ink pencils because I'm afraid of using coloured liquid inks badly and messing the panels up.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions for future improvements, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers

Candra

Name:  Wendigo Sketch (467x640).jpg
Views: 557
Size:  197.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of bits and pieces - anatomy and two alien sketches from the films. Thinking of developing the first one further - maybe finish it off in pen and ink for the practice - so it's a work in progress at the moment.

Name:  Crouched Leg Muscles.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  184.4 KB

Name:  Alien Queen.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  171.7 KB

Name:  Alien.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  192.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been doing some work on dragons recently and thought I should put them in here instead of cluttering up my WIP thread in the Critique Centre.

Lots of issues trying to get the underlying skeletal structure to work visually while also being believable functionally. After some false starts, I think I've finally cracked it but I might be biased, so if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

Name:  Head Sketch.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  268.6 KB

Name:  Wing doodles.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  171.1 KB

Name:  Dragon Bones Front.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  205.5 KB

Name:  Dragon Skeleton.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  201.0 KB

Name:  Dragon Skull.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  224.4 KB

Name:  First Skeleton.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  205.2 KB

Name:  Second Skeleton.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  192.7 KB

Name:  Final Skeleton.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  210.1 KB

The last drawing was inspired by Ralph Horsley's Neverwinter painting in this thread - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=224137

I loved what he did with his skeleton and looking at it made me realise where I'd been going wrong with mine. Something finally clicked into place in my head and the next sketch came a lot easier, so a big thank you goes out to him for the inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going to post some compostionals too, for my own records more than anything. I like to keep things neat and tidy so I can come back later and see wherer I've gone wrong and what to fix.

Name:  Compositions.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  194.1 KB

Name:  New Direction.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  193.6 KB

Name:  Dragon on Cliff.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  250.8 KB

Name:  Dragon First.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  282.8 KB

Name:  Dragon in Cave.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  333.1 KB

Name:  Crouching Dragon.jpg
Size:  196.1 KB

Name:  Comp in Cave.jpg
Size:  199.7 KB

Need to work on small version of last sketch to figure out perspective/vanishing points, and where other dragon/s will be. Thinking of having one in foreground so just seeing the back of its head and neck and bit of wing, and maybe a semi-circle of them in the background.

Final reminder to self - get back to anatomy studies and work on volume and light/shade.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been messing around with digital again. Thought I'd try colouring a sketch I posted earlier of an Alien. It's difficult as hell because i don't have any idea what I'm doing, but also a lot of fun and addictive.

Will post progress shots as I go along. Latest stage first followed by sketch (using Corel Painter).

Name:  Alien (4))_002.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  Alien (2).jpg
Views: 444
Size:  192.6 KB

Name:  Alien (4A)_001.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  36.2 KB

And some compostion drawings for dragons to be worked up into large scale paintings.

Name:  Mountains II.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  249.3 KB

Name:  Mountains III.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  247.4 KB

Name:  Cave Comp II (479x640).jpg
Views: 443
Size:  336.3 KB

Name:  Cave Comp III.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  261.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Havent had much time for art recently so not much to show. Just couple of anatomy sketches.

I got confused with two different measuring methods in the second one so I fucked up the proportions. But I'm putting it up anyway as a reminder to myself - find one method and stick to it.

Name:  Full Skeletons.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  Full Muscles.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  87.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Candra, thanks for commenting on my sb. you have a nice sketchbook going so far. one thing i would say to do in reference to all these dragons (which are good btw) is to do more studies of actual reptiles and like bat wings to get a real comprehensive grawp of how similar anatomy exists in nature, but like i said they are already good secondly on to digital, if its something that you see your self wanting to do as a career, my advice would just be jump in the deep end, the more time you spend hands on with ps or corel the better, nothing else is as valuable than just putting in hours with it to gain comfort with the software, and theres always millions of people on here you can get quality advice from. hope that helps. keep on sketch'n and good luck.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for commenting on my SB, Dogfaced. Thats a nice surprise because I don't often get comments in here, or expect them. I kind of see this as a progress record of my work for others to check out, and for me to remind myself of things I need to improve on or finish.

That last being something I'm getting lax about lately. Not much time for art and even less time for my own stuff so it often gets chucked on a back burner that can last for months. If it even gets finished at all.

Anyway, thats just a personal grumble and the reasons for it all arent interesting enough to bore people with on an internet forum so I'll shut up about it.

Good suggestion about the real lizards and reptiles. I keep planning to get some studying done in that area but then I get distracted by other dragon pictures and my own dragons and... yeah, distractions get in the way.

You're also very right about putting in the hands on time with digital. I'd love to get seriously stuck in but it's another one of those things thats been put back for a while. And being so new to it, the fear/fear relationship I've got with digital doesn't help. Heh. Your comments reminded me about the Alien study I was working on though, so maybe I'll try getting back into it again. Or at least start by posting it up in C&C for feedback, see if the comments kick start my enthusiasm again.

Okay, ramble over. Thanks again for looking and commenting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been working on the digital Alien over in CC so thought I'd post the progress pics in here too. After some excellent feedback, I changed my process and it turned out better than the first go but not as good as I'd like. But thats all part of the learning curve so it's all good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to finish off the dragon skeleton sketch I posted earlier. Apologies for the shitty photo - scanner only goes to A3 and this is on A2.

Name:  Finished Skeleton.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  274.8 KB

Derra is offline Level Up - All Access Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Sketchbook! I can see a progression in the confidence of your line work. This last post is your best yet in my opinion. their's an ease of mobility feeling (if that makes sense) in your sketch from post#50.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Derra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Derra. It's great to see some of my studying is starting to pay off and that my figures are getting more believable.

Just wish I had more work to put in here. Hopefully soon...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    Keep up the sweet studies. They're looking really good and I like the horses. Have you seen any of Mike Corriero's monster designs? You might like them.
    Keep it up.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MoKhi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Mokhi. I checked out Mike Corriero and I like his work a lot - definitely an inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been studying a landscape book in my free time and got a couple of hours to myself today, so I went out on a sketching trip, see if I could apply what I learned.

First are three layout sketches for a book cover followed by practices from the book, and the last three were done outdoors. It was pretty cold so they're a bit rushed, and I went a bit heavy on the darks. Need to pay more attention to the mid tones I think.

Name:  Cover Layouts.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  267.8 KB

Name:  Landscapes I.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  261.5 KB

Name:  Landscapes II.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  419.3 KB

Name:  Lansdcapes III.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  397.9 KB

Name:  Landscapes IV.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  366.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, working on a digital colour version of a Sea Eagle sketch from earlier in the thread. Here's an initial blocking in stage. Will post updates as it goes along.

Name:  Eagle Colour.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  236.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook you have here..
    It would be nice to see you updating more often though.
    And do more stuff from life, that will help the most.

cheers

34. The Following User Says Thank You to merl1n For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 206