Sketchbook: Jester's Sketchbook - Page 14

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Just been there too ... saw that you replied there on the index page of the forum.
    That sketchbook has 4 stars? Some people are mean or blind I guess.

I tried to vote there, but there was an error message:

According to our ... yadayada ... you have already voted ...
    Saaad!

Well ... I hope I don't miss your seascape update.
    But ... maybe I'll discover it in a month if I do.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Quote Originally Posted by Signature
    Just been there too ... saw that you replied there on the index page of the forum.
    That sketchbook has 4 stars? Some people are mean or blind I guess.
    Yep, it's definitely 5-star.

Quote Originally Posted by Signature
    Well ... I hope I don't miss your seascape update.
    But ... maybe I'll discover it in a month if I do
    Never mind, recently I have enough problems myself to keep up to date at CA - it's gorgeous what's going on here! Hope to see you posting here some time again.

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

You've really been kicking things up a notch lately. These recent ones are looking so much better...it's awesome to see you experimenting.

your painting has progressed greatly. Keep up the sketching too eh Painting is one of my long lost favourite pastimes

I really like youre nordic tree one! it seems very lonely without the tree (in a good way), but even better with the silhouetted tree!

Jon, thank you! It's only because of the high standard here at CA that I'm really able to push myself. And also my business is running more smoothly now (it's not perfect and I can only live from it hand-to-mouth, literally) - so my mind is much more free to deal with art again.

endregan, funny you say that: went to the zoo today to make a few animal sketches (see below).

O D T, yeah, nordic landscapes can be pretty lonely - Britain has a lot to offer in that field, too! See, I studied English and love to stay in the UK, great places all over! Never been to Birmingham though.

So here's the seascape I promised to post yesterday. Any advice on how to improve it? It's highly inspired by Erik's beautiful works:

And that's my sketching booty from the zoo. Unfortunately many other people went there today, too. It was what in my area in Germany you call "Polackenflachrennen" *, which means that it was extremely busy with annoying people. However, I popped in my MP3-player ear-plugs and was happy: Santana was the right music for a nice and sunny day.

Jester

*(I know you English speaking people cherish our long compounds - saw another great one the other day: Estrichlegermeisterbetrieb )

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

It is great! (Hehe, didn't miss it)
    The contrasts, colors and composition are good. And personally I like the way the waves are rendered.
    Maybe the far boats could have less contrast than the closer one to suggest depth?
    And the boats are all very similar. I guess if there was more difference it would be more interesting ...
    as if the sea was in charge more.

The way you have it I'd kinda interpret it as "a victory of mankind over nature" or something like that.

Great animals. I especially like the confident lines in that one:
    http://www.zwergenhalle.de/folio1/jester-0492.jpg

Hiya signature - yay, you made it

Thanks for the hints - it is a scene of the book projects, that's why the ships all look alike. However, to blur the farther away ships is something I'll definitely do.

I did a quicky from reference before going to bed now. The face isn't one of my best - I'll certainly give is another try:

g'night

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Well, that book I'm working on to illustrate has many dragons - and I think I can't get away illustrating it without at least one dragon illustration in one of the 17 chapters. So tonight I started to do some research and do my first humble attempts on those majestic creatures. Interestingly, I hadn't seriously drawn with a ball pen for several years, but it felt good!

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Awesome. I remember d rawing the giraffe, Very fun, long!! It goes right off the page they are so long . Drawing at the zoo was fun but definitely not the greatest atmosphere with other people constantly interrupting and not to mention the animals rarely sit still .

You got an illustration job ! congrats

Your sketches and gouache studies are improving. Very good Jester.

Bei Gouache arbeite ich von Hell nach Dunkel. Mein Farbauftrag ist anfangs sehr lasierend. Ich spare die hellsten Stellen (Papier - weiß) aus. Nach und nach erreiche ich dadurch sehr feine und genaue Farbabstufungen. Meine Farben mische ich anfangs mit einem hohen Wassergehalt, zum Schluß arbeite ich pastos. Mit dieser Vorgehensweise hättest du die Wolken und Wellen noch natürlicher und mit mehr Tiefe malen können.

Mach weiter so, ich bin gespannt.

endregan, thanks, that's exactly what happened to my giraffes - although I had drawn them before and actually planned where to put them on the paper - still, the neck was tooooooo looooooong
    The moving animals are not that bad as long as they keep doing the same repetitive movements again and again. You just have to wait until they repeat that movement. Works fine with birds cleaning their feathers, or animals feeding. Most annoying can be onlookers. I don't mind them standing close and looking what I do, but some (especially children) are talking to me constantly. Since I seem to be a right hemisphere person when drawing, I can't talk when I draw.
    As for the illustration job - it's just a private project. See, the man in my life is an aspiring author (just this week two of his stories have been published in an anthology and he is currently working with a literature agency to publish his first novel. However, this book illustration project is a very belated birthday present for a very good friend of us. I started last year in May or so... but my job (that's my own business I'm trying to establish) came in the way. The book/novel has 17 chapters and I was planning to make an illustration for each - never expected this to last so long and to be sooooo difficult (kudos to all the illustrators who earn their living with this!) since mostly my skills don't match my imagination, yet! So I had to look for scenes which are interesting and easy enough for me...

Robulus, thank you ever so much for the advice on working with gouache. Actually, and as you probably saw immediately, I used to work not exactly vice versa, but almost. Normally I start with washes for the sky and the main elements of the picture. Then I spot the darks and start working opaque and only afterwards apply the lights. I find it very difficult to start with the lights first (in order to leave them white) and then work into the dark. I tried masking fluid but it's too thick for me and I usually mess things up (including rubbed off paper). For the seascape I bought some masking tape (huh, expensive!) and cut out the ship in the foreground and worked with both the positive and the negative shapes I had cut out. This suits me more. Thanks for the encouragement, I too feel that I acquired enough game points and managed to get onto the next level. But still a long way to go.

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

hi jester just walk'n by.

i wanted to say that i think you are a real sweet-heart

you really stand out in this crowd of dark and twisted conceptartists. i find your approach and passion for art fascinating.

killing! I'm feeling embarrassed!

It seems that I can only draw cuties... What the hell, make a method of it - just changed my avatar because of this...

Jester-One of the most optimistic people at CA-

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Ok, not one of my best shots of the last days. I don't know really what it's exactly, is it missing contrast? Shapes? Light direction? All of it?

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

i love the tuscan gouache! your vibrant colours are definitely the best thing about your work! I agree with killing.people...youre paintings really do stand out here on CA! theyre so natural & free...not all the artificial photoshop finish that a lot of the coloured pieces have here!

Thanks, O D T, I start to appreciate my approach... any more fans around?

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

We went to Fipse's place on Saturday - and of course I took my small sketchbook with me. I managed to do quick sketches of Pedda and Fipse. For those of you who know them - both are constant movers while talking...

Pedda looks like a mixture of Peter Jackson, a hobbit and himself on this one:

I think I managed to catch the main characteristics of Fipse - what do you think (for a few of you know him personally by now)?

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Hey jester!

Love that you are getting together with other artists and familiar ones to the site, always fun to relate to the conceptart experience, share ideas and just sketch. The Fipse sketch definitely resembles him from the pictures I have seen.

Hiya endregan, well, Fipse is an old school friend of me - I think we know us for almost 24 years now... Actually it was me who told him to come to CA

But you are right, it's always a good thing to meet people in real life, especially if they share your interests. Fipse, Pedda, my partner and some other guys (plus Fipse's wife, not to forget!) have a middle ages project called "Godendag" - and that's why we were meeting on Saturday. There's going to be a museum's night in Dortmund in two weeks and they'll be part of it, re-enacting a small 14th century troop in a re-built tower of Dortmund's fortifications. I will definitely go there and take photos!

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Nice pages Jester! I really like the marker and whiteout near the top. You're improving alot, these paint comps are daring and Your having much success with the landscapes. I like that dragon eye too.
    -cheers

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

yah up there that tree you added changed the whole picute reall nice lota progress here keep goign dont stop heeh well take bathroom brake
    do u do thumbs ?thay are ncie cuz you limit your information .. sorta make it easy on your self and get to the hart of the matter ... use liek 3 or so values give or take play with the shapes for comp .. can use the tone as compistion too without picture .. then jsut do them quick dont think about htme much go for the form .. is verry fun and can go from ther and try couler thumb or what have u

i think alot of time when we work on a "picture"its some what over whleming <is for me at least> and you can get caught up in some aspect of the picture thats maby not the most important thing ... not so with the thumbs

There is a lot of improvement in all of your recent updates jester! steak is right you are becoming much more daring and I love what you are doing with a pencil now...you seem more comfortable with it...at least that's what it looks like.

steak, thanks a lot.

liam.c, thank you as well. I rarely do thumbs. Funny thing is that I'm currently started doing them for a dragon picture I'm planning. This is Two dragons with dragon riders landing on the two towers of a city gate and putting their heads together in order to let their riders talk to each other. I'll post them later.

Jon, thank you very much, as I wrote in one of my recent posts, I feel that I have gained enough points again and reached the next level (at last!). It's a good feeling!

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Update of the stuff I created the last few days:

got inspired by a give away I bought for my customers:

dragon sketches, trying to get a feeling for the anatomy, plus thumb

humble attempt at drawing from mind. I suck at this!

From reference:

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

I really like you animal sketches, they have tons of life in them. The gouache paintings are really nice also, especially the little seascape that you posted with and without the tree. I like that one alot, I would put it on my wall. Looks better with the tree BTW, at least in my ever so humble opinion.

I don't have much advice to give, but I think you should draw more people. Your people don't have as much energy and life as your animal sketches.

BTW, on that last one with the guy standing against the car, is that from a magazine or something? Because it looks SO familiar for some strange reason.

Good stuff, throw us some more updates.

I_am, caught me! It's a FjällRaven ad...

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Ok, finally found some spare time to draw and paint again.

Just to warm up:

and a gouache from life:

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

More gouache

These three apples took longer than I expected. Managed to mess up the left one in between and had to correct it. Then put my finger on the still wet shadow of the rightmost apple... grrr!

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Oh my, seems like this gets to a bi-weekly update sketchbook!

Anyway, here's what I managed today:

A sea-horse from reference:

Animal studies from reference

doodle from mind

doodle from mind

I'm quite glad that I found the confidence again to let my pencil wander over the paper and see what's coming out of it.

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15