Urgent Help Needed

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Urgent Help Needed

Hey guys, I'm Miki. I'm Sixteen years old from Western Australia.

I need to have this picture finished soon, but I'm really unhappy with the atmosphere, or actually, the LACK of atmosphere. And I don't think it works compositionally. Help would be so hugely appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right, the two images don't really mesh well. The background looks like a photo while the foreground is painted. Also, they don't share any common colors, or lighting. The figures seem to be bathed in light, but the background is barely visible. Maybe if you changed the background to include similar colors or at least lighten it a little? Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M_Oreilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    M_Oreilly, Yeah, the background isn't a photo, but is much more heavily photo-referenced than the foreground. And I did paint the two images sort of separately, without much consideration towards colour harmony. Which makes it really disjointed. I'm just not sure where to incorporate the colour, that's all...

As for the lighting, it's just basically messy throughout the whole picture, and I'm not entirely sure how to specify light positions and colours.

Thankyou so much for the crit though, I'm still working on the colour harmony! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope this helps. I created a new layer over the top and set it to "overlay" where there I pretty much just painted over areas in bright yellow and blue. I also created another layer and set it to "color dodge" where I created the more illuminious yellow glow in the background
    It's not perfect but you get the point hopefully

Urgent Help Needed

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SallyJackson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The background seems like an abandoned theme park whereas the foreground is clearly a party. Where are all the lights and decorations?

My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooden Mango, it's meant to be a little spooky, strange masked people dancing in a deserted theme park...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The composition seems fine to me. It does look like its meant to be a book cover tho with space for the title up top. What is this meant for?

You can color harmonize by picking a common color from the BG/FG and then doing a 10-20% opacity wash over the FG/BG. Or you could use color balance to shift it warmer or cooler. Or you could knock the saturation down on everything and add stronger colors from there with more harmony in mind.

I wish I could have done this at age 16. Good job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, it's a book cover for an anthology.
    I've put some warm colours into the background, but I'm not sure about the overlay layer, because I like the vibrancy of the colour on the black background. I have, however, tried to incorporate some of the pinks and blues into the background in this now.

I think I still need more help with mood and lighting, because it feels like it's just all over the place right now. I'd like to know if there's any way that I can have an almost spooky/inhuman feel to the piece without having to sacrifice the vibrant colours of the main figures. It also needs to look good printed, and I haven't had a whole lot of experience with prints before, so I'm not sure what to do in that area.

Thankyou so much for all your help guys. You're all legends.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure that you can have over all bright colours and is still seem spooky. I mean spooky is generally dark and muted because that's a scary thing, not being able to see something very well. Are these just regular people? Ghosts? You might also want to reconsider the expresssion on the main figure, the woman on the foreground. it's not very spooky.

Not sure what else to suggest aside from that.

My sketchbook

DA

"This is a paint and pixel-splattered furnace that forges the swords of artistic mastery. This is a place where swarthy and belligerent dwarves drink turpentine mead, berate their apprentices and slap the trade into their skulls. It's where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares." --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 553 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i don't have time to write much, but the idea is to choose a color for the light source. in this case a red/purple light. if you hold a white object under a very red light, it'll pretty much look red--think about a photo studio's dark room. b/w pictures look b/r. basically, there should be nothing white left in your picture.

Name:  Screen shot 2011-04-24 at 3.09.43 PM.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  135.9 KB

gotta run, hope this helps

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm lousy at perspective, but it looks off to me. It's like you rise to meet the ferris wheel, but the figures get lower, like they're going down a hill. Compositionally, I would like to see the figures rise as they move back. Like, the dude in blue unambiguously behind the one in yellow, and taller and the lady all the way in the back higher still.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.