Academy of Art Online

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Academy of Art Online

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone here has attended any classes online with AAU such as any of the fine art or illustration classes and if anyone has, is it worth it to spend the money to take just one or two classes because I have spoke with them and the option to take select classes is available without having to enroll in a full time BFA program. I ask because I have read many mixed reviews via google and what not but the reviews are for other majors that they offer. Any input would be great. Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,903 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi - I took an online class about two years ago via a scholarship they granted me because I teach art in Community College. I took Head and Hands II which was about as hig level a class as I could take (graduate courses were not eligible under the scholarship).

I found it to be really beneficial personally, but...I'm not sure how much benefit the other students in the same class got out of it. It is a little different kind of thing, you have to be really, REALLY motivated and on top of it. You have to be reasonably skilled with computers and the ability to take decent photos, adjust as necessary and upload by the deadlines. I was pretty surprised that most of the other students couldn't manage that. They really stress the importance of interaction and feedback between the students...but it is still nothing like real life. I think the class started with about 14-16 people and whittled down to about 7-8 at the end. One cool thing is they send you the entire class resources on DVDs so you could go through the material and lessons again as many times as you wanted...of course I keep thinking I'm going to do that and haven't yet! Teacher critiques were very good as well. I think their online course management system is based on Blackboard if that helps. Anyway, any other questions just ask!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alright thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I just could not find any reviews on any online fine art classes and they all seem to be for animation, fashion, photography etc. I just got the go ahead on taking the photorealism course in the fall which is why I ask. I had to send in a portfolio to get all the prerequisites waived. So did you learn alot from the instructor and were they helpful? How picky are they about photos? I ask because I have just a mediocre digital camera that I know how to use basic settings on.Like should I have an expensive camera to be able to submit my progress? Alright thats all I have for now. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,903 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool about getting into the class. Any decent P&S camera should be fine - but you'll need to adjust in PS or some similar program probably. I learned a great deal, but like I said, you have to be really motivated and have a lot of your own initiative. The instructor was very helpful I thought. Good luck - post some stuff and let us know what you thought of teh class.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Members who have read this thread: 2