Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: || Brand2.0 || SKetchboOK - Leave some wisdom as you pass through

Thanks
    fenixx: Holy crap those are really decent tutorials! I ended up browsing through all of them watching quite a few. I've been drawing non stop and I already see a million times improvement from even just a week ago.

Here is my latest sketch. Yes I know it resembles a "popular" t-shirt design. The reason I am drawing this is a good friend of mine is as much of a nerd as I am. He's tall and lanky and he always used to wear this shirt with a "Bullhead Dolphin" so I set out to draw something equally as cheesy.

Him as a barbarian fishing for a bullhead dolphin with a pole arm type weapon with a full moon and three wolves in the background and waves splashing behind him. I haven't added the waves or the fishing line yet (which really balances out the composition).

I just wish I could render it how I see it in my head. But anyway without further adue here's my latest sketch. Took about 30-40 minutes to get everything where I wanted it to be.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A lot of your work has some really nice qualities to it. What I would recommend is that you try doing some more story telling with it. In the latest spear-fisher one, why are the wolves there? Are the wolves part of his culture or is his culture based on fishing? His head also seems to lurch back a bit. Next time try taking a photo of yourself in that position so that you can see what your head and neck are doing (it might also help make it a little less stiff).

Overall I really like your character designs and I think they would be fun to play with. Try making a scene of some sort with them, but focus on telling a story. Who's good and who's bad? Who's retreating, where are they, what are they thinking? It doesn't have to be hugely complex, just enough so that we can get an idea of who they are, brave, cowardly, detached, shy, etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mutestar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie G View Post
    A lot of your work has some really nice qualities to it. What I would recommend is that you try doing some more story telling with it. In the latest spear-fisher one, why are the wolves there? Are the wolves part of his culture or is his culture based on fishing? His head also seems to lurch back a bit. Next time try taking a photo of yourself in that position so that you can see what your head and neck are doing (it might also help make it a little less stiff).

Overall I really like your character designs and I think they would be fun to play with. Try making a scene of some sort with them, but focus on telling a story. Who's good and who's bad? Who's retreating, where are they, what are they thinking? It doesn't have to be hugely complex, just enough so that we can get an idea of who they are, brave, cowardly, detached, shy, etc.
    Thanks for the compliment and the great advice! I do intend to start sketching more story driven pieces. I've been trying to practice a lot of anatomy because I find that I am pretty weak in that area (among many others) and I find when I focus too much on trying to get the anatomy right I lose focus on trying to make the character dynamic or creating an interesting scene. I've started doing anatomy studies (which I probably won't post because they are boring) and once I get more familiar I plan on doing a bunch of different pose sketches.

I'm hoping this will free me up from worrying so much about anatomy and let me focus on what you were saying about composing a scene and displaying more character in my sketches.

Haha the wolves, fish and barbarian design are an inside joke. I drew it for my good friend (who shares the barbarians face) because he always used to wear this ugly fish shirt. It was his favorite shirt. I always teased him about how it was just as cheesy as the "Three wolf moon" t-shirt (Google it and you'll see what I mean!) and he is a tall and skinny guy who is just as big a geek as I am so I decided drawing him as a manly barbarian would be hilarious.

I don't currently have a working camera (stupid sand!) so would you or anyone reading this know where there is a repository of poses that I could draw from?

I also have a ton of questions about lighting and color pallets. I have a cursory knowledge of color theory but are there any "best practices" or general rules of thumb I can use to improve my color selection? Also what is the best way to go about developing my understanding of light sources? What can I practice to improve in those areas?

Thanks
    Random stuff. Didn't have much time to draw today

Thanks
    I really love the way you draw mice... specifically the first one! Too cute! Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    You've got a fixation with rodents, but you're coming along fine and I dig your fun doodling.

I've expanded my sketchbook today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2