Art: JEREMY GORDON Portfolio Review
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: JEREMY GORDON Portfolio Review

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool JEREMY GORDON Portfolio Review

[still working on fundamentals]

Hi, my name is Jeremy Gordon and I'm 21 years old. I'm graduating with a Bachelor's Degree from a small college in May 2011. My plan now is to save money and build my portfolio / abilities before possibly applying to TAD next year.

My eventual goal is to do freelance illustration for books / games / whatever and also do concept work one day (characters / creatures). I'd also like to do design work (such as poster design) and sell oil paintings. I'd like to do everything I can really. Main focus will be on freelance illustration though.

The work below isn't anything too finished for the most part, just a mix of things.

I'm looking for any input that will help me out. Thanks much!

_ Jeremy Gordon

image date: 04/2011

image date: 10/2010

image date: 03/2011

image date: 10/2010

image date: 03/2011

image date: 03/2008

Last edited by jeremygordon89; April 23rd, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful work, and i am very happy for all your improvement since ive met you!

if there is one critique that i would give you it is that your portfolio needs to have a direction. right now its going in many directions. If you are going into game design then do some work that will reflect that. If illustration then you need more work that has a context for visual communication.

What i would do is find who your favorite illustrators are. And look at what kind of work they do for clients. And model what pieces you include off of that.

Ive seen some of your other work outside of this, and i have to say that your graphical style is by far stronger. And i think that its more expressive and colorful. But, no matter what way you go, just make sure that you are going in a clearly identifiable direction.

To a degree it can be best to specialize if you are going to be an illustrator. Of course you want to be able to do everything. but its going to be easier to be identified if you put more focus in to something whether its style, a particular technique, knowledge of a subject matter, ect...

i know you'll excel... keep pressing foward.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JakehC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your first image, it has a distinct style and it seems to be working well with the colors you've chosen. The trees are a bit mushy, they don't feel enough like trees which is something you should work on. But other than that it's a strong image.

The still life is fairly good but it's not fooling me. It still looks too much like paint and the objects don't feel like they have distinct surfaces, except for the bottle which is getting there. Also you need to work on the values around that bowl so it looks like it exists in three dimensional space. Usually values get darker near the edges when something recedes.

The image with the primary colored bottle-type things you need to work on drawing. The forms there look unbalanced.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ccs For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.