Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,745 Times in 685 Posts
    SMILEFACE: Many thnx dude!! XD

Final IOW! Had lots of fun doing this one!!
    Name:  Thor v Jormungandr copy.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  307.7 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    HAHA DIG THE NEW AVATARS lol i saw yer post in several places an eachtime it changed i thought i was tripp'n fer a min XD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    haha, no your brain's working normally (at least in ur standards, lol) I was just experimenting with stuff for the avatars and decided to try Ridley out with some colour. It sort of inspired me to try colouring the full sized version, been meaning to colour it for a while actually, but it may happen soon!

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Some stuff going on in my world, a COW (with details) and a DSG (with early silho's)
    Name:  Islandback%20copy.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  281.7 KB
    Name:  Islandback%20details.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  271.1 KB
    Name:  crustecean silhos.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  161.5 KB
    Name:  crustaceanthingy.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  160.7 KB

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    s'more wasted stuff...
    Name:  Wasted characters.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  217.8 KB
    Name:  Wasted Self Portrait.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  210.7 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    great start to a sketchbook - you've got a bit of variety here and there and some decent imaginative works. I'd recommend a few more pencils in here if you get the chance, as they'll help your paintings improve too. Other than that, just keep on working with those 3 p's. Good luck

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice monsters love the character love to see more of those

Every critique helps me to get on step closer towards my dream so feel free to
    Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Grey_Rift For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 411 Posts
    Hi Rob,

Very nice sketchbook. I think your strengths are your drawing skills and your professionalism. All your images are very finished looking, cleaned up, and well presented. Your silhouettes are very nice, particularly that page with the Marianas trench creature sketches. I think you mostly need to work on your lighting but also your surface, painterliness I guess you could call it.

You tend to use a generic sort of lighting where the forms just get darker toward the edges. Quite often you have no core or reflected light so it doesn't really convey the form. You also have a tendency to let the details overwhelm the larger form. Look at your finished Marianas trench creature: that is just, Wow! Awesome! Very cool creature design aside, the lighting is really excellent. But then the image directly below it (the one above too) . . . there's just no comparing them. Some really solid studies from life should fix this, just being aware of it at all times should help too. Observe different natural lighting conditions, times of day, etc.

I think most of my problem with your surface is just a lighting problem. To me, everything's too clear-cut and smooth and tends to look like plastic. There's no natural variation to make things believable. Loosen up and let things blend together a bit. Color also has a lot to do with this. Sorry I can't be more helpful. You can see this difference between Larry Elmore's worse stuff and his better stuff, where he gets more like Jeff Easley. It may stem from your inclination toward drawing, painting is all about edges and transitions, not line. You know, try doing some speedpaints from photos or life if possible. Don't start with a line drawing, just start blocking in value and color shapes.

Sorry this got a little rambly. I hope some of it helps. Cheers!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to -Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    haha THANKYOU BROTHER FOR ALL THE AWESOME YOU ARE AN YOU BRING TO ART YOU RRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome stuff as usual dude, lovin the wasted stuff. Those character silhouettes are great! Would be cool to see you take them further ;p

20. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ThomasM: Thnx man, I actually have done quite a bit of pencil sketching lately, but not too much time to get them scanned and sorted out, but they will be posted once that is done.

Grey_Rift: Thnx, I'd to see more as well I'm too fixated on creatures atm XD

Mr. Corlan: Many, many,many, many thnx dude! Don't apologize, the more the better I'm here to learn and it's great that someone as skilled as you were willing to stop by and give some feedback!

SMILEFACE: Your welcome!!! ^^ You yourself are a great inspiration, just look at all the artists that are willing to contribute to your game, too think it all started with a few character thumbnails....AWESOME JOB JOB DUDE U RRRRROOOOOOOOCCKCKKCCCCKKKkKK!!!!! XDD

logistic puppet: thnx, was planning to paint them eventually, then again there are lots of things I want to do, but haven't gotten around to it yet....

SILHOUETTE ATTACK!!!!!!

yes! that's right! I just did that! I just gave you a sucker punch of a giant file of black and white silhouettes....some of these are just really scribbly while some others I may have spent over an hour on...started these actually around January and sort of forgot about them, but here they be!!
    Name:  Creature Silhouettes copy.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  494.9 KB
    here are some more silhouettes I've done recently for COW, plus some scribbly silhouettes, and silhos for an IDW that I never got the chance to finish, also a very quick and sloppy landscape that I decided to try, only took me about a half-hour to do it...and finally my latest prgress on this week's COW
    Name:  Dwarf War Mount.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  89.3 KB
    I don't think I've posted this one in the COW thread but I might as well post it here...
    Name:  goblin war mount silhouette.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  79.7 KB
    Name:  Orc War Mount.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  91.4 KB
    here you see a quick sketch of an elven warrior, the idea came to mind, and I may actually at a later date, create a piece like this, but with a different creature design most likely...
    Name:  elf war mount.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  139.3 KB
    Name:  silhos.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  310.1 KB
    Name:  silhos2.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  317.8 KB
    Name:  Secret Society Relics silhos.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  118.6 KB
    Name:  Night Moon.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  102.8 KB
    Name:  Dwarf War Mount copy.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  311.6 KB

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for taking the time to help me

Your advise and tips are always spot on! Thats why my lines where so messy because i tried to use them as guide lines, but i tried to simplify that technique to simple guide lines I guess i went to far to the one extreme from the other,
    you explained it far better and let me understand whats going on! THANKS MAN

here is the cheetah pic in case you wanna work a study of it its quiet challenging i will re do it myself again when time presents itself got nights shift work on weekends ruins my community activity time
    Name:  hungry-cheetah-cub-637752-sw.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  79.6 KB
    copyright national geographic

Keep up the awesome work ,love viewing your images!!

p.s they closed the wasted thread!!! what now!?!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Things I Do Weekly -- sketchbook

Wasted - The game's production sketchbook

Ctrl+Paint, a place for beginners, many helpful videos!
    - - - - - - - - - -

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Happy Birthdaaaaaaaaaay

Hava a good one m8, and keep up the awesome work ;D

26. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11