Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Drawrings of Creatures and Such!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 686 Posts

Drawrings of Creatures and Such!

Welcome All!
    My name is Robert Powell! South African born, Canadian raised digital artist looking to improve my skills and knowledge in the area of concept art and illustration. I specialize in creature design, above all, mainly due to my interests in creatures, animals, aliens, dinosaurs, dragons, monsters, of all shapes and sizes ever since I was very young. However I do occasionally feel rebellious and have a go at some characters and environments when I'm in the mood. Any sort of helpful advice is welcomed, do not feel shy to leave any constructive criticisms or comments!

Also if you haven't yet, join us over at Creature of the Week and design your own beasties!!

Go to last page for latest updates, and more recent and improved works that don't suck!
    I'm serious! Do Not scroll down!!! YOUR EYES WILL BLEED!!

ok fine then, look! see if I care....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rob Powell; July 16th, 2014 at 11:29 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    some more stuff...

Crit's, suggestions, and comments welcome

soe quick gestures, some of Bridgman, and my own
    Attachment 1214922

another character I drew a while back...I think I drew the head and body separate for some reason...I think so I could draw a lttle more detail on her head, seeing as the body was a little bit small
    Attachment 1214924

It takes along time to say anything in old Entish, and we don't say anyhing unless it's worth taking a long time to say!
    Attachment 1214925

I drew a falcon skull a looong time ago and used it as a template and drew other things over top of it...such as this zombie bird head
    Attachment 1214927

this was a fun painting, took me about an hour to an hour and a half
    Attachment 1214928

Made a brush, made a stroke with the brush I made, made a dragon with stroke I made with the brush....
    Attachment 1214929
    Last edited by Rob Powell; February 19th, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Crits and suggestions are encouraged here! So if you don't mind I would appreciate a little insight thnx!

Here is a more recent Wip I'm working on...I'm no where near finished but I decided to show my progress and hopefully get some useful feedback on it...

1-Started of experimenting with silhouttes and was inspired by this one (what do you see, I see a few things but what interested me was this old alien face)
    2-Just quickly went over with black (i guess to expand on the silhouette to help me see the character more)
    3-Painted in a quick abtract BG...looks like crap, but that's what layers are for, I can change it later
    4-Painted the face and layed in some base colours...still lots to do....
    Attachment 1214959

For the COW/EOWCrossover Bridge The Gap. Almost Done....
    Attachment 1214960

Attachment 1214963

Thanks
    My entry to C.O.W#210-Sound Round! (youtube edition)
    The brief was pretty simple...'Here's a youtube video with a strange noise, now make a creature that make's the noise.'

Let me know what you think!
    Any kind of feedback is highly encouraged, and appreciated!

Attachment 1220313
    Attachment 1220314

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Found some of my earliest digital works, looking back on them maks me realie how much I've improved.
    Also a Wip ofmy latest digital piece don for COW#211 Red-Hot, Speckled, Rock-Muncher. With a topic like that how can I not partake on the activity!
    Anyways let me now what you guys think...but do kee in mind they are old works(cept the COW piece)

Attachment 1224426
    Attachment 1224429
    Attachment 1224431

Attachment 1224432

Thanks
    looking good, been seeing you in the Cow's and your dong great esp the inferno 2 tails. They make me jealous I didn't notice when it started.
    Keep it up!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DmnSpawn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As you say, there is a lot of improvement from your earliest stuff to now, well done! I would recommend putting some time in studying perspective, this will help give more volume to your designs.

I like the fish painting in particular, nice work there. Keep it up!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightpunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @DmnSpawn: Thnx

@Lightpunk: Yeah, perspective is one of the many things I need to study.The fis was fun te paint, If only I spent a little more time on it, it would probably look a lot better, but it was for more experimenting with texture and brshes...

Thanks
    Here are a few of my best pieces, both tadtonal and digital. Even thugh they are some of my best, it doesn't imply that they are flawless. Still lots of room for improvement.
    I think I need to start doing some more pencil drawings soon, been caught up in digital painting, and haven't really drawn on paper,other than just sketches in a sketchbook.
    Let me know what you think. Any commets, crits, and suggstions are always welcome.

Attachment 1228437

Attachment 1228439

Attachment 1228440

Attachment 1228443

Attachment 1228444

Attachment 1228445

Thanks
    And here are a few other digital works I've done...Le m know what you think

The first 2 took me somewhere between an hour to 2 hours, I was experimenting with making brushes, made a stroke with that brush, then rendered the stroke to make a design
    Attachment 1228449

Attachment 1228450

Was trying my hand at some kind of Graphic Design here, looks decent but not perfect
    Attachment 1228452

Thanks
    Some wip of my latest COW...I'm almost finished and it's turning out quite nicely...
    crits and suggestions are always welcome

Thanks
    This week's COW is pretty interesting...threw up these sketches to see which I like better.
    Any comments and suggestions are welome!
    Attachment 1235596
    Will attach some pencil sketches later...

Thanks
    looking good man. i especially like the mecapede quickie and that skeletal vulture dragon 'ridley'. That blue and gold macaw is also amazing. however, i was the most impressed by that first figure study you posted - it looks like it should be in a textbook, very nice. Your traditional stuff have some very nice linework and style to them, something dynamic, that I'd like to see creep into your digital stuff more as well. keep up the good work and i'll see you around in the CoWs!

~ Pat Thompson 白龙 ~
    I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
    Available for freelance or a position in your company's art department.
    Check out my Sketchbook, or my website www.pkillustration.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Thompson For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast