Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    myrtle beach sc
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    name that movie!!!!

    long time fan of just about everybody on this site....
    anyways, enough with the buttkissing....

    I saw a movie a long time ago, it had a superhero from the 50's (?) being super cool... grabbing a kids shoulder and kind of hurting it ( kid later becomes president of the US) then being brought in front of congress, not because of the kid's shoulder/arm, and disappearing...
    he's later found in the 80's(?) and is basically a drunk and unknown... a reporter helps him get his mojo back... he's got a cape and he's got falcon or eagle talons coming over his shoulders as part of his costume...

    it's not superman 3 when he's a drunk... it's not hancock.... it's early 80's....
    it's not Greatest American Hero... our even Manimal! what is it?


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,844
    Thanks
    2,664
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Oh god, that movie was bad.

    Don't know the title. Sorry.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Oh! Can't answer that one but I've got a movie I've been trying to find for 10+ years, no joke.

    It's a black and white film, I guess thriller/horror, with a guy who's face was frozen into some kind of joker venom-esqe face after he and his girlfriend tried to rob his father's grave to get the key to the safe that his inheritance was in or something like that.

    The main plot involved a doctor/psychiatrist he hired trying to fix his face somehow. I remember it playing on TCM.

    Been a long while, but I think that's the gist of it.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked 80 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robo6 View Post
    long time fan of just about everybody on this site....
    anyways, enough with the buttkissing....

    I saw a movie a long time ago, it had a superhero from the 50's (?) being super cool... grabbing a kids shoulder and kind of hurting it ( kid later becomes president of the US) then being brought in front of congress, not because of the kid's shoulder/arm, and disappearing...
    he's later found in the 80's(?) and is basically a drunk and unknown... a reporter helps him get his mojo back... he's got a cape and he's got falcon or eagle talons coming over his shoulders as part of his costume...

    it's not superman 3 when he's a drunk... it's not hancock.... it's early 80's....
    it's not Greatest American Hero... our even Manimal! what is it?
    By any chance is it "The Return Of Captain Invincible"? It sounds very much like it. That movie is incredible.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to PLeon For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked 80 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Oh! Can't answer that one but I've got a movie I've been trying to find for 10+ years, no joke.

    It's a black and white film, I guess thriller/horror, with a guy who's face was frozen into some kind of joker venom-esqe face after he and his girlfriend tried to rob his father's grave to get the key to the safe that his inheritance was in or something like that.

    The main plot involved a doctor/psychiatrist he hired trying to fix his face somehow. I remember it playing on TCM.

    Been a long while, but I think that's the gist of it.
    Mr. Sardonicus. I saw it when I was little, that guy's face scared the crap out of me.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PLeon For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, US
    Posts
    1,196
    Thanks
    1,571
    Thanked 718 Times in 344 Posts
    I've had an obscure movie scene that's haunted me since I was little. I walked in while my dad was watching it and it kind of freaked me out but I don't think it's actually scary.

    I just remember a wheelchair bound lady upstairs being taken care of(?) by a mean old lady and she was served this food on a tray, and when she lifted the lid I think there was a mouse or a rat in the food? And I remember another scene where she tried getting down the stairs to dial for help or something but couldn't make it? Hmmm..
    My Sketchbook

    And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Abyss, Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,925
    Thanks
    1,202
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manlybrian View Post
    I've had an obscure movie scene that's haunted me since I was little. I walked in while my dad was watching it and it kind of freaked me out but I don't think it's actually scary.

    I just remember a wheelchair bound lady upstairs being taken care of(?) by a mean old lady and she was served this food on a tray, and when she lifted the lid I think there was a mouse or a rat in the food? And I remember another scene where she tried getting down the stairs to dial for help or something but couldn't make it? Hmmm..
    "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane": with Bette Davis and Joan Crawford
    Last edited by Aly Fell; April 20th, 2011 at 04:06 AM.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks
    1,795
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLeon View Post
    Mr. Sardonicus. I saw it when I was little, that guy's face scared the crap out of me.
    name that movie!!!!

    Thank you very much.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, US
    Posts
    1,196
    Thanks
    1,571
    Thanked 718 Times in 344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly Fell View Post
    "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane": with Bette Davis and Joan Crawford
    That's what that was?? I have that on my Netflix queue right now, haha. Looks like I was about to face my fears and didn't even know it!
    My Sketchbook

    And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,844
    Thanks
    2,664
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robo6 View Post
    long time fan of just about everybody on this site....
    anyways, enough with the buttkissing....

    I saw a movie a long time ago, it had a superhero from the 50's (?) being super cool... grabbing a kids shoulder and kind of hurting it ( kid later becomes president of the US) then being brought in front of congress, not because of the kid's shoulder/arm, and disappearing...
    he's later found in the 80's(?) and is basically a drunk and unknown... a reporter helps him get his mojo back... he's got a cape and he's got falcon or eagle talons coming over his shoulders as part of his costume...

    it's not superman 3 when he's a drunk... it's not hancock.... it's early 80's....
    it's not Greatest American Hero... our even Manimal! what is it?
    name that movie!!!!
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

  15. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 53 Times in 50 Posts
    OmenSpirits - Hmm... that plot doesn't sound like the Condorman I remember, unless you're joking. (IIRC, that was the one with the comic book artist whose friend was a spy; he finds himself roped into spywork to help his friend, and gets to live out his dream of becoming his own comic character thanks to the government's evidently inexhaustibly deep pockets and engineering magic. It was one of those Disney "marble movies" we used to get to watch in the school gym... back when a school could show a movie for the student body without first double-checking the belief systems and dispositions of every student and family, and Disney didn't charge educational institutions through the nose for breathing their name.)
    -----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern Alberta
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 407 Times in 164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    name that movie!!!!

    Thank you very much.
    OK, I'm not going to sleep for a week now!
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

    Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

    Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Birth Place of the World, NYC
    Posts
    2,844
    Thanks
    2,664
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightdreamer View Post
    OmenSpirits - Hmm... that plot doesn't sound like the Condorman I remember, unless you're joking. (IIRC, that was the one with the comic book artist whose friend was a spy; he finds himself roped into spywork to help his friend, and gets to live out his dream of becoming his own comic character thanks to the government's evidently inexhaustibly deep pockets and engineering magic. It was one of those Disney "marble movies" we used to get to watch in the school gym... back when a school could show a movie for the student body without first double-checking the belief systems and dispositions of every student and family, and Disney didn't charge educational institutions through the nose for breathing their name.)
    Eh, It sounded like the movie the OP wanted.

    That's the one I saw, guess OP saw a different movie.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    1,540
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    ..........
    Last edited by nauvice; May 31st, 2011 at 09:28 PM.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nauvice For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, US
    Posts
    1,196
    Thanks
    1,571
    Thanked 718 Times in 344 Posts
    It may not have been the movie the OP was thinking of but I loved Condorman when I was a kid. I rented it so many times.
    My Sketchbook

    And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLsinki, Finland
    Posts
    4,853
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Ohh well I've been searching the net all over this movie without success so I guess this won't hurt?
    I remember seeing this movie in the 90's so I'd guess it was done in the 80's or early 90's.
    All I remember is a boy keeping a dragon in his house, in the bath tub, which later escapes (the dragon, not the tub) and destroys a gas-station by breathing fire so the whole place explodes.
    It was live-action, but all the movies that even remotely sound like this have been horror (which I don't remember it being but I was young, so...)

    So either this movie exists or I've been mentally mixing "Prehysteria" and "Robocop" all these years...
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,902
    Thanks
    3,102
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    So either this movie exists or I've been mentally mixing "Prehysteria" and "Robocop" all these years...
    Does the kid or dragon get all soft and pliable before exploding on the hood of a moving car? If you remember that, I'd say yes you're mixing them.

    EDIT: Was not Dragonworld was it? (1994)

    "Young John McGowan travels to Scotland to live at his grandfather's castle after he loses his parents in a traffic accident. At the wishing tree he conjures up a dragon friend, Yowler. They grow up together, and one day documentary film maker Bob Armstrong and his daughter Beth stumble upon Yowler. Hungry for fame (and money), Bob convinces John to "rent" Yowler to local unscrupulous businessman Lester McIntyre. John is convinced in part by the offer to have the outstanding taxes on the castle paid off, partly because of his growing interest in Beth. Yowler is miserable in the new theme park built for him, and when it becomes clear that McIntyre has tricked them in order to exploit the dragon, John and his new friends take action."

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLsinki, Finland
    Posts
    4,853
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Does the kid or dragon get all soft and pliable before exploding on the hood of a moving car? If you remember that, I'd say yes you're mixing them.
    Oh man I laughed! No, I don't remember that happening in it but I'm pretty sure whether the movie exists or not, toxic waste exploding dragon would probably be a perfect ending for it!

    But no, it wasn't Dragonworld, of that I'm sure. I remember the dragon being "realistic" like the dinos in Prehysteria, which is partly why I'm wondering of mixing it. Maybe a crappy sequel of that also featured a random explosion?
    I think I'll make my mission to find and re-watch all the Prehysteria movies to see if there's anything that resembles of what I remember...
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 60
    Last Post: September 14th, 2011, 10:10 AM
  2. Infallible The Movie (help Us Make Our Movie)
    By orangelineage in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 28th, 2005, 08:52 AM
  3. DSG 358: Character: B-Movie Victim or B-Movie Killer
    By dsg bot in forum DAILY SKETCH GROUP
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: February 24th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.