Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: **Updated 4/24 - New Stop Motion Animation**

Thanks

**Updated 4/24 - New Stop Motion Animation**

If this is totally out of place in this forum, let me know, and it shall be no more. I posted the pics of this puppet a while back - now you can see her move!

I've managed to finish editting my puppet animations from fall semester and would like to share! This one here was my final for the class and the most frustrating to animate because of the restrictive costume. But, here goes...

The sets are foamcore, paper and balsa. The geisha rat has a twisted aluminum wire body with propoxy neck, feet and hands. I fitted rare earth magnets into the propxy to allow her to pick up props and for the head to pivot on the neck. the head is paperclay with a few coats of gesso.

**Updated 4/24 - New Stop Motion Animation**

And for the animation...

Mochi Gone Mad

If anyone doesn't know what mochi is, it's a ball of rice dough that's a traditional Japanese treat. They're yummy!

If anyone has any thoughts, please share! if this goes over well I'll post the other 2 animations.

-Steph
    Last edited by Steph Laberis; April 24th, 2004 at 09:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Willow-whisp....this is GREAT! Stop motion animation is something I wish to try someday. In a time of CG Animation....I love this....it has such an old school feel to it, and it's refreshing to see something other than CG these days....LET'S SEE MORE!!
    I'd be interested in hearing about the process and such sometime....I really want to try this myself one day with one of my creations.
    I think you should post this up over at the Shiflett Forum....I bet everyone over there would love to see this.:thumbsup:

I look forward also to seeing your Raven Thief sculpt finished....although I understand completely the feeling of being drained....get back to it when you're ready....and post it up. (Sometimes we all just need a break, and then fresh eyes breath new life into our sculpts) I invite you to give me your opinion of my Giant Crab Sculpt....I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

Well, I think I've typed enough now...my fingers are cramping, and I'm gonna need 'em for sculpting...hahaha...take care.
    Last edited by Scotty; April 18th, 2004 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks
    I knew I could count on you for an awesome crit, Scotty! ^___^ This film can't touch the animation quality of computers, or in my opinion, it can't touch certain Gumby episodes, but I agree that the old school and tangible feel of puppets is a wonderful thing. Glad to hear you wanna see more - I've run out of space on my yahoo server and con't upload the other two just yet though. Bad me. Must change domain!

Ok, I can either send you a PM explaining in great detail how to do one of these films, or I can do a mini tutorial either on my new site (which will take ages to actually design) or making a tutorial here. I have some in-progress pics of one of my other puppets where you can see the wire armature and stuff.

Mmm yes. The Raven. Still no progress and I'm not rushing it. Grrr.

I'll try to get the other animations online as soon as I can. Thanks again!

Thanks
    that was great! that mochi is very mad. the music is great and i also prefer this kind of stuff to digital 3d graphics. I cant wait to see more and i would love a tutorial.

Thanks
    that was wonderful willow-whisp
    i have been very interested in making my own stop motion short. i think it would be great if you could post a tutorial here, would you also include what program you use to edit and implement(sp) the music?

Thanks
    excellent job! mochi ice cream anyone?

and i would definitely like to see a tutorial! nothing fancy like a website, i think everyone would greatly appreciate a tutorial on this forum.

and dfinitely let us know when the other two are up

i especially like her tail.

Thanks
    Beautiful work there. Did you use a stop motion program to help with it? I really want to try this myself one day. Inspiring work, please post more!!

MT

Thanks
    this is insane, very nice, animation/sculps/music/scene/camera settings/lighting, everything was just WOW

Thanks
    Wow, it's great to see this here! I'm a total stopmo freak, and learning the arcane artform myself little by little.

Willow, I haven't watched the clip yet, but I will. I just wanted to give a quick shout out for http://www.stopmotionanimation.com

Anybody interested in learning how to make their own animated films, or just fans in general, should definitely check this place out.

Ok, I'm off to download the clip!:chug:
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

Thanks
    That URL is gonna be getting a lot of attention from me.....thanks for posting it up DS.:chug:

Thanks
    Thank you guys very much for the feedback and compliments! Glad to hear it's gone over so well. I checked out thet URL as well - thanks for posting it! It's an amazing resource and I wish I had known about it last semester.

But do y'all still want me to do a tutorial then? This site can tell you anything I know about the craft and then some. Still, I'd love to put together a tutorial, if anyone will get use out of it.

Here's basically how I put the film together in terms of editting: I filmed using a Bolex camera, then transferred the film to a DV tape. (I would much rather have filmed with a digital camera, but my teacher insists on using film) The DV tape was exported to the computer (Mac OSX) and became a huge quicktime file, which was rendered and editted for sound in Final Cut Pro (I either used MP3s or ripped the files from SFX CDs, right onto the desktop). From there I exported it to quicktime.

And yes, I would LOVE some mochi ice cream... got any vanilla or coffee?

Thanks
    AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

...I can't see the clip! I've tried 4 times now... 3 with Safari and once with IE, and all I get is the title. It stops loading after like 339 k's. I know it's a problem with my computer, but I don't know how to fix it!! I tried emptying my cache... no good.

Does anybody know how I can fix it?
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Can you DL the file to your desktop and open it in quicktime? Check out this page and right-click the file (ratmochi.mov) and do "save target as" or whatever.

I really hope it works! You're not the first person to have a problem with it - the file crashed my friend's feeble PC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast