Art: Lee setiawan's portfolio

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lee setiawan's portfolio

hi, my name is lee setiawan, 26 years old , from indonesia .I am a self taught artist, my goal is to become a proffesional concept artist and also an illustrator.
    I am really interested in studying traditional painting , cause i think it might help my digital painting better.
    Currently i am doing some freelance works, and i would really appreciate if there are advises on how to improve my works.
    here are my works from des 2010-march 2011

Lee setiawan's portfolio

Lee setiawan's portfolio

Lee setiawan's portfolio

Lee setiawan's portfolio

Lee setiawan's portfolio

Lee setiawan's portfolio

Lee setiawan's portfolio

Lee setiawan's portfolio

Last edited by SaintLConcept; April 18th, 2011 at 06:08 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,140 Times in 2,687 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The most obvious area for you to work on, from my first impression here, is your lighting. It is all over the place.

a. when lighting your images choose the light direction and COLOR.
    b. use 1 key light and 1 fill light. They can be complimentary colors. The fill light is used to illuminate the shadows and the key light sets the overall lighting as the major source.

You would be well served to do some digital still life paintings under those circumstances. Until you solve this area the works are not going to be where they should be.

Also studies in specularity, transparency, reflection etc...would also be helpful.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks alot mr.manley, i really appreciate your review , i always have critics saying my colors are flat and i am still trying to solve this issue, i was thinking values and now that you've mentioned lighting ..that is really something i missed.so thanks again.
    also been wondering is my works really that bad that not a single review was given for me until now, please hit me with the truth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Some of your words caught my attention, but first I'd like to say that it looks like you've put a lot of effort into these pictures! Interesting ideas that you have, I think. I like the texture you have the pictures, too! I think overall, you have some striking colours and that's great that you're using more saturated ones along with the more gentle colours.

About the lighting, I'll just add that the all-over-the-place lighting Jason mentioned is hurting the form in your pictures, and that could be one reason why some people call your paintings "flat". No matter the medium, you need to understand the forms and their "3D-ness", how they appear under different lighting situations, and how the textures, as well as the shape itself, can be influenced by light. I don't want to delve further because Jason said it best up there. If you go to Idiot Apathy's Peer Project thread
    , you can see some great lighting practice exercises and links. Definitely helped me out!

Also, don't worry that you aren't receiving critiques right now! Many people submitting these threads haven't received a lot of reviews yet, and the number of reviews you get doesn't necessarily depend on your art level.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.