Is your sketchbook messy or organized? - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Several people already said what I was about to say (that is, sketchbooks are whatever the owner wants it to become). Personally, I find that my sketchbooks being filled with class notes, doodles, songs and lyrics I hear in stores or on the radio, and random quotes. In short, messy as hell.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty organized and neat by inclination. So, as mental training I deliberately draw one image overtop another and then glue bits and pieces of epherma on top of that, and then smear the remnants of my acrylics palette over everything. I do this even for sketches and doodles done in preparation for larger, more formal pieces.

The brain naturally falls into tried and true patterns based on what has worked in the past. This becomes more so as one ages. So, for a naturally organized neatfreak like myself, being deliberately messy and chaotic is a part of my creative process. Even though it hurts!

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,554 Times in 3,739 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I prefer to use loose sheets of paper, not that I don't have filled sketchbooks (mostly with rubbish), but I like the idea it's easier to toss a scribble if it's really bad. Also I like coloured paper which I can't get in sketchbook form cheaply - yes, I have used Conte SBs before.

I have this pile of drawings all in chronological order that will soon fall over as the paper is not all the same size.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have two, a large heavy paper from an art store that looks about as organized as my room - meaning I've got random printed muscle references thrown in there, coffee spills on a few sheets, smudging, et cetera. My other sketchbook, my moleskine, is extremely clean and organized.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    I prefer to use loose sheets of paper, not that I don't have filled sketchbooks (mostly with rubbish), but I like the idea it's easier to toss a scribble if it's really bad. Also I like coloured paper which I can't get in sketchbook form cheaply - yes, I have used Conte SBs before.

I have this pile of drawings all in chronological order that will soon fall over as the paper is not all the same size.
    Have you ever tried binding the loose sheets into a sketchbook? I know a girl who did that a couple of years ago, if a page was good enough, she'd bind it in. Had this A5 sketchbook at the end of the year with hundreds of pages, and folded out, until it stretched the whole way down the corridor. So awesome.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    You could put them in folders, you know... That's what I do with the loose sheets (the ones that aren't just randomly lying around the place, anyway.)

Then you can build a pile of folders that falls over eventually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sketchbook is totally comprised of a single A4 spiral pad, and seeing how I don't use it for anything other then sketching; so basically its totally comprised of drawings and notes on said drawings - it only gets worn and messy through simple use.

I don't follow a set pattern or anything, though, and usually go out of my way to mess an order up. I just can't be bothered to do anything other then actually draw in my books, so in answer to your question; no, my sketchbook does not get messy.

Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use a garbage can as my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Messy! Mostly stuff that I've drawn when I'm waiting at places. Or stuff that I draw at home. I have two sketches, one being for every day things, the other, for my personal art, with my own characters and so forth.

Its just a hodge podge of everything, really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
    I use a garbage can as my sketchbook.
    That must be a real bitch to draw on...

I think I am with the majority here, my sketch book(s) are messy and not only that, when I draw on loose sheets of paper I just stuff them into a plastic folder in an unorganized fashion. I do have a folder on the computer called digital sketches and that folder is a little more organized.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I organize things that already exist. Until I put it down in my sketchbook I won't know how to organize it. Plus my sketchbooks are just about creative play, I don't want to have to think about what category to put it in.

Thank you for viewing. See more of my work and contact information at my website below.

www.nealtse.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really care so much about how my sketchbook looks. It's a personal library of my failures.. in the end, it's all that they're going to be.

I actually recently posted a video in my sketchbook of me flipping through my recent one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1