Is your sketchbook messy or organized?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is your sketchbook messy or organized?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is your sketchbook messy or organized?

Just curious how people tend to work in their sketchbooks. I see many are just busting at the seams with random beautiful work filling pages, and others are more clean and organized.

Currently mine are more organized, though I don't intentionally try to keep it that way. I typically concentrate on different subjects every time I sit down so it just works out like that and while I fill up pages I don't really clutter designs on top of one another. I'll probably loosen up and be more spontaneous in future sketchbooks, but as of right now I'm working on things to refer back to so being clean is most efficient for me.

BTW if anyone is looking for some sketchbook motivation, subscribe to this guy's youtube channel and check out his student's sketchbooks that he posts. Crazy variety and awesome work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dloo3...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Neeqs; April 17th, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neeqs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The inside of mine are always very neat and organized. The outside of my sketchbooks on the other hand get battered and are taped back together as I carry it around and drop it and step on it and shove it in bags and spill stuff on it (I actually have used it as a plate a few times unsuccessfully)...

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A sketchbook is whatever you want it to be. I use mine as a combination journal, notebook, daily organizer, and drawing surface. Some pages end up as complete illustrations, some as studies, some as doodles. It's supposed to be a safe place to work out ideas, concepts, theories and so forth.

I've gotten cleaner the longer I've gone, but adding in markers and watercolors distorts the back of the page, so I end up integrating those marks into the drawing. I always wished I could free flow the drawings together with a little more intention, but it's tough to make my self think that way.

Obvious troll is obvious

5. The Following User Says Thank You to That fat kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Messy. Finished all the fronts of the pages in one of my books, now I'm going through and hitting the backs. Most of it wouldn't look like anything to anyone else but me anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both: On some pages, I just have scribbles and on other pages, I have full drawings.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Hoppes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i use small sketchbooks to fill up pages and write notes, bigger ones for one drawing per page (since they're always landscapes/townscapes)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most of the time messy D: but I don't mind it.

Last edited by InvisibleQuail; April 20th, 2011 at 09:20 AM.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook is your personal workbook. It's there to solve problems or come up with ideas.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I tend to have different sketchbooks for different things... So I might have one for sketching on-the-spot stuff and events, and one for goofing off drawing whatever I feel like, and one specifically for working out stuff related to personal projects, and one specifically for working out stuff related to jobs, etc., etc.... Or even "themed" sketchbooks.

But of course different stuff tends to creep in where it doesn't "belong."

Some are tidier than others. Some are a complete mess and have been rained on or used as tea saucers, so they're totally warped and stained. Some are completely pristine. Some are fancy (but those don't get drawn in as much as the messy or plain ones - they're too fancy!)

For really nitty-gritty thumbnailing and working-out, I usually just use loose cheap printer paper... Or those cheapjack plain paper memo pads (which fall apart and become stacks of loose paper eventually...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sketchbook is typically filled with unfinished sketches. Besides that, it's usually pretty clean because I can't stand to draw over another drawing with a new idea. I can't draw a lightbulb, then draw a salt/pepper shaker over that. Just looks like crap.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by That fat kid View Post
    A sketchbook is whatever you want it to be. I use mine as a combination journal, notebook, daily organizer, and drawing surface. Some pages end up as complete illustrations, some as studies, some as doodles. It's supposed to be a safe place to work out ideas, concepts, theories and so forth.

I've gotten cleaner the longer I've gone, but adding in markers and watercolors distorts the back of the page, so I end up integrating those marks into the drawing. I always wished I could free flow the drawings together with a little more intention, but it's tough to make my self think that way.

Ah, a man after my own heart =)

This pretty much sums everything up for me, i'm pretty sure mine is way messier though, but i essentially use it for everything. I'll generally carry around a smaller sketchbook which i use to doodle/jot down notes in on the bus etc. that one is a damn train wreck.

I keep a bigger one at home, or at least big by my standards, i have a really cheap tiny scanner so i try to buy smaller sketchbooks. I'll keep that one a bit more organized then my doodle pad. But like i mentioned above i'll use it as a journal, notebook etc.

My Sketchbook!This scrub needs your guidance

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Messier and messier ever since I started using 6H. Less smudging, less problem.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally like really messy sketchbooks, it just feels more like a playground, it alleviates pressure. Some people are way too uptight even in their sketchbooks, you just need to get your hands dirty, but it depends on the person. I've been mostly using rollerball pens and a4 printer paper so I don't have to worry about any materials.

Not sure what to call my sketch pages, I suppose it's something in between.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MidgardSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sketchbook is a complete junk yard-- drawings in highlighter, marker and varieties of pen on every inch of the page, things partially ripped out, phone numbers and quick notes-- also because I go through them so fast, I basically use the whole sketchbook until like 80% of the page is used, if not more, then flip it over and use the back pages. None of my formal or even semi formal work is done in a sketchbook anymore.

In fact, I find I'm phasing out sketchbooks in favor of computer paper, just for the grab and go convenience of it. I'll definitely still have a sketchbook around, but maybe just for leisurely stuff like live drawing.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mine are fairly messy, though the level of messyness varies depending on what my mood was. If I draw on a boring school lecture, my stuff is pretty random but fairly neatly arranged to the paper as the goal is to just fill pages out of boredom. Then there's pages with couple scribbles, overlapping doodles, shop lists etc, for when I actually have an idea i need to put down.

But one thing of organization that I always cling to is that I draw from the both ends of the book. General sketches go to the right side, and all comic thumbnails, page sketches, idea scribbles and things I'm "ashamed of" go to the backside. (As in I flip the book over, so that about half of the stuff in the book is upside down, until the ends meet in the middle and I buy a new book.)

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Messy, just the way I like it. With finished pieces cropping up here and there to take the edge off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually look at sketchbooks like the one in the first post and decide I want every drawing to look cool so I end up trying to keep it tidy. Eventually I realise its a lost cause and I end up scribbling regardless of the presentability (as it should be!)

I have a bad habit of screwing up a drawing and starting again on a new page (unless I have an eraser). So a lot of pages end up being the same drawing with varying deformities

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Messy, messy, messy. I think it's like a trap for all of the random moments and opportunities for a quick doodle or idea before it slips away. I'll write down notes along with the pictures too. I don't think sketchbooks need to be very neat- this stage of the art should be loose and fluid, like a net for the subconscious to throw things into. Then they can get dressed up and made into wonderful finished works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I try and keep it organized, leaving no empty space and not letting drawing overlap, I also have multiple sketchbooks for specific things, like for idea development, studies, and sketching people at school.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's all over the place. Why organize?

...HOW do I organize it?

Anyway, thanks for that link.

Last edited by Psychotime; April 27th, 2011 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vivawaite View Post
    Messy, messy, messy. I think it's like a trap for all of the random moments and opportunities for a quick doodle or idea before it slips away. I'll write down notes along with the pictures too. I don't think sketchbooks need to be very neat- this stage of the art should be loose and fluid, like a net for the subconscious to throw things into. Then they can get dressed up and made into wonderful finished works.
    Nice way to put it... but first you gotta pull the idea out

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bowlin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Messy messy messy! It's practice man! Save organization for your paintings and things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tend to be fairly neat in my sketchbook and leave enough space between drawings, in other words I don't let drawings overlap. I'm trying to work away from that though, I'd rather have my sketchbook be a mess of ideas rather than super organized. Honestly it'd be nice to have several sketchbooks for different purposes like one for throwing out ideas fast and another for clean/organized studies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlin View Post
    Everytime I see that, I think Dumbedore's getting high. Like it's the wizard equivalent of snorting glue or something.

I've always had trouble in my sketchbooks. I'm a perfectionist and have more than a tad of OCD, and as such tend to try make things perfect, spaced, and finished.

More recently though, I have begun to make my sketchbooks more messy, and it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to see my madness finally seeping onto the page.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't use sketchbooks since I hate drawing in them. Doesn't feeld good. I tend to use tons of printer paper, therefore it's quite a mess

I do have quite a few moleskines and other sketchbooks though, but I stopped using them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    Everytime I see that, I think Dumbedore's getting high. Like it's the wizard equivalent of snorting glue or something.
    Getting that idea out and painted onto a board IS like getting high.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bowlin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally messy.

http://katyorr.com/#1157941/Process-Work

The drawings at the second half of the page are from my carry around sketchbook.

I've never been a neat and organized person though, in any aspect of my life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sketches tend to get horribly messy, all over the place and everything. I tend to sketch with a colored pencil or non photo blue pencil and graphite so I can see what I'm drawing.

My Sketchbook
    KHAAAAAAAAN!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty messy. The skecthbooks usually the only blank paper I have on me. So yeah lots of notes, train times, maps. I occasionally draw in it too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep two sketchbooks right now. One is for messy crap like quick studies and life drawings which lets me loosen up and focus on learning. The other sketchbook is for thumbnail sketches and notes. I prefer keeping it organized so I can find an idea I'm looking for fast, but since they are just thumbnails I don't have to worry about screwing up the book either. Personally I don't do any finished works in my sketchbook, I'll save that for nicer paper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2