CHoW#241 :: The Yakuza - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: CHoW#241 :: The Yakuza

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @steve pete

Not sure if I agree with you there. You see, tats, suits, guns, and katana, combined with a mean looking Japanese person, is what defines a yakuza (at least to the people from the west, I guess).
    The challenge is also way more constraining, unlike the previous reimagining of a fairy tale. If you go look at the war criminal challenge, all you see is psycho dudes with guns.

Now, could there be more variation in this thread? Sure. Should there? Not necessarily. At least to me, properly executing a simple image from our era, with basic lighting and 2-3 colors,
    is no different than painting a steampunk cyborg ninja on acid, jumping out of an exploding giant squid-like starship.

Both are good practice, you learn something new whichever one you pick, and ultimately, these challenges are by no means a proving ground exclusively, or for portfolio building.
    The way I see it, it's a place to motivate people to work, simulating real concept art jobs, and if that means that in one challenge everyone's going to jump the bandwagon, so be it. In that case,
    let's see who can give the most insight and have the best solution to the problem, so we can all learn something.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neutral. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    logistic puppet Thanks. Added some more shading to the feet, but I'm trying not to focus too much on the tattoos. They're just random doodles mostly, would take too much time otherwise. I'm just glad I finished one. Woo!

Bnoch Now that's gritty. I diggs.

steve pete It's a shame that there's such a lack of appreciation for realism or actual character development as opposed to mere character design and eye candy. Oh wait a second, it's here in this thread. I was originally going to do a Cyborg Vampire Cowboy Yakuza but decided not to. Darn. As for myself, I tried to maintain my focus on the overall design of the image in this one.

I'm done now where do I post this sucker!

Name:  CHOW - Yakuza-final-3.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  252.9 KB
    Name:  CHOW - Yakuza - STEPS-3.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  145.0 KB

I used some photos off the net as design elements, but don't know the authors regrettably. I's that OK mods? Being as it's all in good fun? I can take them off if it's an issue. I would draw something up myself but I don't have any more time to work on it. Or I can simply enter the image of the stand alone character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad that there was an insightful response from a bunch of you guys... some good points were made which helped me understand where i was getting stuck in my views and my motivations regarding something such as CHOW.

Much thanks, especially for the clear unemotionally charged responses.

looking forward to future inspiration.

Steve.

Last edited by steve pete; April 23rd, 2011 at 03:03 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to steve pete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! This is refreshing. To be perfectly honest, I did not expect a mature response on the internet. You have proved me wrong. Please, sir, stick around. :)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to neutral. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"During youth, the desire for self-expression is so overpowering that most people end up by losing all grasp on their real selves." - Akira Kurosawa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

2001: A Yakuza Odyssey

Lots of great work!!!

I saw this chow and thought, a Yakuza set far in the future - aka wearing a space suit - would be awesome! Worked on it a bit yesterday and then some today. Now I just read the posts that were put up since I last checked the thread (discussing diversity and what not) and I'm not sure if my timing is good or bad haha, but here we go.

First image is of some sketches/gestures I did to get my mind going.

Second image is a photo I took with my phone when I remembered I was supposed to be keeping track of my progress!

Third is the wee beginnings of coloring, detailing, etc... It's still early and not all of my plans are exactly readable - she's in a futuristic space "suit," the "bun" on top of her helmet is actually an electronics hub with antennae sticking out, the white parts are going to glow a bit (yeah, I've been watching my Tron bluray a bit much lately), and she's going to have some tattoo-ish designs on the suit legs.

I post way too few and way too far between, so please bare with me if I mess up posting/attaching images and the like. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    My gallery: http://www.shanepollard.com/ I would be honored if anyone from ConceptArt were to visit it. I am amazed and enthralled by all that is done here.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to feralcoconut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryanoir
    Steve Pete - the topic also has a lot to do with the diversity in character design, say the topic is 'Cyborg Guardian' there is so much you can do with it, it's not real it is just imaginative.. where as 'The Yakuza' is a real thing, and it basically is men and women who are in gangs with full body tattoos, if you do something different - it would be off topic and breaking the rules
    I agree with this and that is why I passed this round. There's just not enough to do with it, when 'it' is already made up for you. You could do future or whatever, but I like when its easy

I commend you all who perservere!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    steve pete: This has already had some great responses but I thought I'd throw my two cents in too.

I think there's been some great diversity so far! (considering the relatively limited topic- which makes it a lot more challenging). There's been a girl with a cursed gauntlet, an undead underwater yakuza warrior, an android yakuza, and a few do look like they are from various time periods. Yeah there are a lot of guys in suits and half naked chicks (I'm one of the unoriginal ones myself lol) but that can be exciting too, seeing how people can take the same thing basically and put character into and make it still different- bnochs pic is just another guy in a suit, yet it's completely different from anyone elses at the same time! I feel like I learn a lot from watching how people can put a spin on things even when it seems simple or common. That's what makes chow great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @logistic puppet rgeorge Cool idea on the tattoos, its well painted also. No biggie but his hands holding the swords look abit weird. I dont think the thumbs overlap that way. Perhaps take some photos of yourself holding stuff, or look on the internet for reference to help you abit with how those hands work. Oh, and I also like your use of colour and those tattoos look badass ;p.

I totally used your feedback and redid the hands, thankee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We'll see if I have time to colour it, I got too swamped during last one to finish

Website
    Contact - Quick and easy.
    CA Sketchbook - Sketches, process images, finished work, random banter.
    -------

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Reedux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno, the brief was to design a Yakusa right? But then everyone's interpretation
    is different.

I took it more as an undercover criminal.
    The tattoos are designed so that they only be in areas that clothes
    would cover, to be discrete from the law. So they could have a desk job but then
    go and traffic some drugs in their free time. To me costumes and such don't
    come in to it since that would obviously identify them as a criminal and they'd
    get busted blah blah.

I also just wanted to draw a tattoo... don't judge me, I'm fickle... I guess you could draw a child Yakuza or something, but that's unrealistic and taking it to another era
    just doesn't feel "Yakuza" to me.

@ Phrix It wasn't a bloody stump, she was just splattered in blood from killing someone
    but that wasn't really clear I guess so I drew in the hand and darkened the
    background, looks better, thanks! not too sure how to go about colouring it
    though, colouring over on a multiply layer looks fake when I try it :/.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jenny7332 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3hours

Website
    Contact - Quick and easy.
    CA Sketchbook - Sketches, process images, finished work, random banter.
    -------

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reedux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Yakuza.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  328.1 KB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to fdisk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yey thread. I wanted it to look as though we was looking at his watch, and then looking at the door. Waiting for someone who is late (someone who should know it's not a good idea to make him wait...). Not sure I was successful. Lower down girl also a little off... maybe... learn learn learn...

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by steve pete View Post
    [SIZE="1"]

...so much for 'crit happens'. ??

basically every entry in here is either of a half naked chick with tats or a dude in a suit with a gun. Hardly anyone is taking the idea into another time period or really showing some courage by being experimental. As usual a chunk of people have their style of drawing down a tee, but for the amount of people having submitted entries this round there is very little diversity in character design.

If you dont believe that what i'm saying is the case go back over previous rounds and check out the degree of variation and play with the concept. Something this round doesn't have.
    I understand why you may respond the way you have but it seems like my post was a reasonably fair call.

I wish i had the time to enter but unfortunately as mentioned in the previous post my spare time is very limited.
    As people have pointed out, the brief for this was quite specific and limited. It's only natural the entries will have similarities. Of course you could push the boat out and go wild - Yakuzas in deep space, Yakuza pirates sailing the seas, Yakuza zombies.. but ultimately the focus should be on character design; developing a character that people could find interesting and tangible - not necessarily completely different from the rest. That's my approach to CHOW at least; if you have a wild idea then go with it! But don't force originality. A Yakuza with a lamp for a head would have been original but it wouldn't have been a particularly great idea.

I'd like to defend my work on making a character who is essentially a 'half naked chick with tats'. That was simply the concept that arrived in my head as I read the brief. Whether other people came up with something similar or not wasn't and isn't an issue - I stuck with my design because I liked it. Heavier clothes were omitted to properly display the tattoos because the theme of them accentuates the character; furthermore I felt that it was a figure so ready to fight that she would happily wander into battle wearing a bra because a few wounds wouldn't be of much bother to her. Dismissing a character based on quite generic similarities is unfair to the artists who have spent time creating their characters because this isn't a group effort, it's a lot of individuals producing their own ideas - and within the guys in suits and chicks with tats there is still a good level of variety, in the suits, the tattoos, the body language. I think even if the CHOW brief called for us to design the exact same character, the results would still have a wonderful deal of originality to them.

No part of this response is intended as hostile, by the way. I just wanted to explain how it looks from this side.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last wip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick question.
    I'm attempting to add a color layer on top of my image, but the colors look flat. Are there any specific settings that any of you would recommended when adding color?
    Thanks!

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 587 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by snippet View Post
    Quick question.
    I'm attempting to add a color layer on top of my image, but the colors look flat. Are there any specific settings that any of you would recommended when adding color?
    Thanks!
    Try setting layer to Overlay, that's usually very useful when adding colour to greyscale...it adds the colour but still keeps the form, hope that helps...

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    snippet - layer settings can help you lay in colors fast, and give you a good idea of how your image will look with color, however, your still gonna want to add another default layer over the rest, and paint straight onto your image, like a real painting. this is very important, or else your relying too much on the program, and not your own skills. theres no real shortcut to understaning colors unfortunately, it all comes from careful observation, and practice.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so this it so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

33. The Following User Says Thank You to dwinbotp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got seriously tired of this guy, so I decided to wrap it up. :)

Last edited by neutral.; April 24th, 2011 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey i have a question, am i allowed to make a mech-like character? there would be a visible character inside, but the main idea would be the armour/robot.. or this is something more "idw-ish"?

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NinoCencini - I'm guessing that would have been fine (adding robotic elements is generally okay unless the brief says otherwise) but unfortunately this CHOW has finished. The brief for next week's topic is already up if you fancy trying something else, though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Members who have read this thread: 1