Art: Student: Nguyen Hoang Gia concept art portfolio (critiques and feedback please)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Student: Nguyen Hoang Gia concept art portfolio (critiques and feedback please)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Student: Nguyen Hoang Gia concept art portfolio (critiques and feedback please)

Hello CA, this my very first post here. Sorry for my bad english! I'm a 22 years old student from the university of Architecture in Ho Chi Minh city (Viet Nam), only 2 years more until the graduation. I'm also self-trained to become a concept artist for a year. I'm looking for a schoolarship in TAD or any study program that focus on the concept art.

I'm interest in painting and drawing, and still finding my own style. My recent works were mixed in various styles. My favorite theme is science-fiction. I enjoy creating futuristic vehicles, interior, exterior and characters. I currently keep working on my own portfolio.

So I would appreciate any assistance here for my portfolio, thanks the CA and mr Jason Manley for created this great forum !

If you have time, please take a look at the rest of my artwork here http://facebook.com/gunsbins
    Thanks again !

Last edited by gunsbins; July 1st, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,997 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are on the right track. A few things that pop into mind... Your lights are mushy and airbrushy. There can be more attention paid to the shapes the lights make. Avoid using the same brush all over if you want to improve that. And two...your lights are almost always white. Working one half value step darker in the lights and one half value step lighter in the darks will keep colors in both your dark darks and your light lights. Your color can also change as it moves through space. Right now your lights and shadows are often the same no matter where they are in space. Color movement is important.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some new work in the past 2 months, 3 finished stuff, and some speed painting. I've join the EoW and this is a really good source of inspirations, talents, and people help me alot to improve my work. I really appreciate for all supports and critiques from the forum and looking for more, hope to be a better concept artist, and still looking for a TAD scholarship. Really want to go there with my friend Duc Truong Huyen but my family don't have as much money to help, so I try to push my self with all my best, and hope. Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by gunsbins; July 1st, 2012 at 02:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is amazing! Several things that stood out were your color schemes, which were flawless, and how you really captured the three-dimensionality of each scene. A lot of other portfolios I've seen are very good but kind of flat if you know what I mean.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DarthArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some new updates, I have growing alot from your feedbacks, especially from mr. Jason thanks, hope to have some more this time.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by gunsbins; July 1st, 2012 at 02:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice use of perspective and different points of view.

All lot of your pieces look as if you rushed through them rather quickly, even though I am sure you spent some time on them. These come across as as if they are thumbnail/idea sketches.

Do you have any pieces where you spent more time on and added more detail? My suggestion is to pick 2 of these images and refine them by adding detail and making use of the other suggestion found on this thread.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jimshred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really incredible work. Well done!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Free for commissioned work

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice perspective, color and lighting. The depth of is superb. But many part you still use pure black, which is we have to avoid.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fdjohan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your name is amazingly asian and your works are amazingly fantastic I think you would benefit from checking out the scifi works of AndreeWallin and antifan-real.

Last edited by spandexninja; November 2nd, 2011 at 09:30 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to spandexninja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It’s almost as if there is this fantasy/sci-fi Photoshop filter running around the internet.

http://theartorder.com/2011/08/26/differentiate-or-die/

Learning to see

"...the ideas are what matter most" Doug Chiang

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need more feedback, please !!

Environments

Mechs

Thanks !!!

Last edited by gunsbins; July 1st, 2012 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WoW!! , Awesome! O[]O!

Commission info
    If you interested, You can contact me via pm or deviantar note.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Gunsbins,

Your work is professional quality in my opinion. Could we nitpick it? Of course, but every professional is always improving. Having room for improvement doesn't mean you can't be a professional. In my opinion, someone as talented as yourself should not take the opportunity of a scholarship away from someone who needs it. I'm sorry if that sounds ridiculous to some, but think about it. And I hope you take it as a flattering compliment.

And didn't you say you were in school already? I encourage you to finish the school you're doing and break right into concept art. Let someone more misguided use the scholarship. IMHO.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a good point, thank you very much Trevor, I always admire your work ! The fact is over the past year since I've posted my portfolio review thread here, I tried and I fought all the way to the scholarship, and I think at least Ive been growing for that. I'm still considering every opportunities I have and I think you were right. That's what I've been thinking these days man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, you're ready. Send your promotion sheet to some game companies and ask around how to break into concept art. Its go time!

Members who have read this thread: 1