Art: duztman's academic pencil drawings
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: duztman's academic pencil drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

duztman's academic pencil drawings

So, I've been commenting a bit in the Art Discussion forum, and I thought it might be a bit rich to bandy my opinions about without posting my own work. To rectify this, please find below some of my academic pencil drawings. These are all 2 hour studies from last trimester, and I hope this thread will show some kind of progress over the next 3 months. There are a lot of issues I need to grapple with judging from the below work - proportional accuracy, scratchiness, feet, edges - so it'll be a hard journey. But if it's hard, it's probably worth doing, right?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As an added bonus, here's a snapshot of my latest cast project:

I'm only a few hours in, so for now I'm still finding the big light shapes. The base is going to be murder; I can't really squint it away, and I don't find it especially interesting, but hey, I set it up, so I just have to take the bull by the horn... will post my progress (but only if it's good!).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to duztman For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey duztman - stuff looks great - which I expected! Looking forward to seeing more...

Last edited by JeffX99; May 6th, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where are you studying? Looking pretty good so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this looks like the stuff they do at the Florence academy of art! Great stuff man, really nice!

A little crit though, I am nowhere near the level you are at but judging from what you stated as your goals for these drawings you might want to not go crazy with the tones and shapes with those drawings just yet. It feels like you're disguising structural and proportional problems with them, like in the first example when the guy on the left has like a uberslim arm there (I know he's probably of a quite slender bodytype but still) or the one on the right has quite a wide skull and the information in his torso, his hand and foot doesn't come over quite as solid. I suggest that you begin to look more for rythms in the outline, and the inner lines, like those eight-figures, those curves and whatnot that get indicated by the lines of several parts. That way, you make more sense of the inner information and you can also get more curvy and organic with your outline without loosing control over the integrity and proportions. I believe there is a thing as to be too geometrical, treating the edges differently, getting softer, wider etc will spawn naturally out of evolving the form I believe. Lines always serve a purpose and you can't jump to linequality without asking yourself why the hell you want to add that in the first place.
    All those things can be done without filling in so much graphite You got to ask yourself if you primarily want to derive aestetic pleasure out of your drawing or rather dumb down your problems and solve them one by one in order to become a more solid draftsman in the long run.

Damn I just gave myself that rant haha

Last edited by ~Faust~; May 7th, 2011 at 09:41 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while, so time to post some newer stuff:

these are two pencil studies, using two different approaches. I much prefer a simple line approach (as seen on the right), but sometimes the light in the model room is so dodgy that I simply go with masses (as seen on the left).

the above problem is exemplified in the below drawing, in which I tried to do a simply line study, but couldn't for the life of me see what was going on with his underarms. Nonetheless, I'm quite happy with the outline of his hips. Small mercies...:

The below is (obviously) not a pencil study, but a white chalk drawing which I'm 4 hours into at the moment. Hopefully I won't screw this up too bad as I explore the values:

Now, I shouldn't really be showing you this, as it's in a very awkward stage, but I'm all about full transparency on CA. Anyways, this is my current long pose in white chalk. Just before I took the photo, I started to darken my background, which has rendered my shadow shapes waaay too light. Need to rectify this ASAP, as I still haven't explored the halftones in the figure, and have 4 days left only... wish me luck!

Faust: you sound just like my teachers! And yes, you're right, I tend to jump to the 'fun' bits before sorting out the major issues. I'm trying to rein it in by keeping to pure line drawing (see above), but truly, the most difficult things are the basics, namely gesture, proportion, outline. 'm hoping that in 20 years or so, I might have a grasp of it. Then I can go ahead and work on my god-awful understanding of values and edges...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to duztman For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.