Art: Eric's Portfolio Review

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Eric's Portfolio Review

Hi, my name is Eric Persson, I'm 26 years old and I currently study 3D graphics to get a broader knowledge so I'll be more attractive for the games industry. What I really want to do though is concept art, so if you have pointers on my work that would help me get there, I would really appreciate it!

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,249 Times in 2,788 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to do concept you need to have concept art in your portfolio. None of this would be production related concept design.

You would be well served to do more painting from life, digital being fine. Everything from the figure to still life to landscapes. The reason I say this is your color is a bit chalky and even six weeks of observational painting would take you a long way. The Painting 1 class at TAD with Jon Foster and I would whip your stuff into shape quickly. You are doing ok stuff...but to compete in concept you are going to have to step it up another level.

All of your faces show the need for more life study. Six weeks of hard core portrait studies would also be a good path to take, short term. You are almost there in a lot of ways...but as you know, you must do better. For example, the batman has far too much distance between the top of his hips and his bottom-most rib. That should be a max 3 fingers distance, even on comic characters, yet you have far more than that. The faces feel like they were done from imagination, as areas of transition between features or major structures of the head are seeming guessed at.

You can do this and I have no doubt you will. It may be another two years before you are closer to where you need to be to lead in the field though. I would also keep pushing different genre.

You are on the right path.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for these pointers, I was afraid I was gonna hear that about observational painting, I guess there's no way around it. To me, painting should be about having fun and I've always thought painting from life or photograph is too boring. That way of thinking may not help my art, but I don't know what to do to make it feel more interesting.

I know I have a long way to go, and feedback like this helps me focus in the right direction. Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in overal it's Nice art but your soldier does look a lot like the cover for Battlefield bad company 2 /battlefield 3 also the orange in your drawings has no meaning , but in overal it's a pity because the final version is nice but the idea is used to many times and A FPS gamer like me can see it in A second. Maybe you should get rid of that one in your portfolio , No hating Love your other work!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Danarart For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.