Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Getting the most out of critique

Thanks
    As one of those "young artists" who was unable to take critiques last time I posted my art, I agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far. The shift from a more casual art forum to CA was a hard one--one that I just couldn't cope with at 16.

Now that I've had some experience in the "real world" I realize just how immature I was back then. I've gone through two jobs, one seasonal, one I had to quit due to severe injury just recently. I hated them both. They were boring and dead-end: neither would pay for even the cheapest of colleges.

If it means doing something I love for a living, I'll gladly accept even the harshest of critiques. I might be discouraged at first because my brain is still in adolescence and even though I see exactly what the critic means, the "motivation" part of my brain doesn't process it right.

To all those who critiqued me in the past, thank you very much. I'm sorry I didn't take your critiques to heart at the time. Shinin, I remember you, in particular, as being one of the most helpful. Extra thanks to you. And extra apologies for letting you down.

This thread is good. I'm gonna put the 10 tips into a picture and set it as my desktop background.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This is a pretty good set of guidelines. I do have to disagree here on one point here:
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    2) Consider or verify the source of the critique...particularly if you do not agree with it or it seems confusing. If their work is pretty decent then pay attention, if not then disregard if you don't agree.
    People of all levels can and many do, have sound judgment, keen perception and knowledge and understanding that goes beyond their actual artistic ability, or what they are putting down on paper, or canvas. An outsider . or non-artist can sometimes offer a great critique, in a simple straightforward way (i.e., the hands look too big, the nose doesn't line up with the rest of the face, etc.)
    On the other side of that coin, I have seen critiques by exceptionally skilled individuals who give absolutely horrible critiques.
    Critiquing is a skill. To do it well, it takes practice. I've also found that I learn almost as much from critiquing as from sketching. You critique from personal experience. That means somewhere down the line you probably ran into the very obstacle the subject of your critique has, and solved it.
    As long as the critique is designed to help the individual, I would encourage people of all levels to do it...and that means even if that person is much more skilled than you are. Remember you as the person offering the critique are trying to help someone, not stroke your ego, or show off your superior knowledge.
    I don't mean to nit-pick, it's just an observation, and a difference of opinion.
    "Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zombifried For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    I agree with your observation zombifried. That is a bit of a quick bullet point item and deserves more explanation. That point mainly concerns technique critique rather than general observation or feedback, which can be valuable from any source. My wife is one of my main sounding boards and not an artist at all. When it comes to technical critique and advice though, I stand by the point, and of course I had a bit of a disclaimer built in that you can disregard the information if you don't agree...and their work is not at a very high level.

Really I was trying to get at two things there. At some point it becomes necessary for the one seeking/receiving critique to be able to gauge the validity of the critique or advice offered (or at least they should analyze and judge the validity of the critique). The best way to do that is gauge it against the experience and results of the one offering the critique.

The other aspect is a bit more subtle. That is gauging the validity of the critique especially when you don't quite grasp it. If you have someone at a really high level telling you something...even if you don't agree you better figure out why and how. A lot of times you hear things that just don't quite make sense...yet, but by trying to understand them we grow. We still may disagree with someone's observation, but at least we understand why.

Anyway, thanks for the comment! Hope that explained the point more thoroughly.

Lastly, and I guess it should have been in the OP...a critique is just one observation. It isn't the end, or a final statement, or a major judgment...just an observation. One should be creating enough work so that a critique on one piece doesn't shatter our ego or derail our progress. Critique should be looked at as providing a bit of direction on the journey.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well said.

~zombifried
    "Try not. Do or do not!! There is no try"
    -Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

zombifried's sketchbook
    zombifried's sculpture thread

Thanks
    You have not push the ball perfectly and the ball colors and background looks same so it does not looks so great to watch!

Thanks
    Recently joined CA, and I absolutely love the maturity of the forum and the interaction of the people on here.

Anyway, back to critique, one point which I think hasn't been pointed out strongly enough is that people who give critique should strive not to be too harsh. Yes, you can give critique, but do it in an honest way.

An example is the way OmenSpirit gives feedback on the thread that he mentions earlier in this thread. He gives critique and remains constructive all the time, even takes time to do an overpaint to illustrate what he means.

Critique given too harsh, can really put a domper on people, and will kill creativity. I'm not saying you should not say it if something is wrong, just be honest and do it in a polite constructive manner.

I'm saying this because it's something I've been guilty of myself in the past and thinking afterwards, I should have given the feedback differently. (it's regulated now, but I really put a damper on someone's enthousiasm, and what's worse wasn't even aware of it). It's easy to get carried away when giving critique, and as this is an online community, I feel it's something to guard against extra carefully.

Just my two cents.
    On a discovery voyage in drawing wonderland.
    Feel free to check out my sketchbook and leave a comment. I like the feedback to draw lessons from.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3