Art: André's Portfolio review

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

André's Portfolio review

Hi. My name is André, I'm 24, and I want to work as a freelance illustrator and/or concept artist.

I want to work with games - tabletop, trading card, iPhone, any kind a digital painting style could fit. I would also appreciate working with movies, either concepting characters or storyboarding, or working in comics (as long as I can do it in a painterly style, I have a problem of love and hate with lines).

The problem with that wish is that it's too cloudy - while that's what I THINK I want, my portfolio is made of portraits, caricatures, storyboards, a concept here and there, and even illustrations for advertising; it's too spread out.

The first piece is an attempt at focusing it into more fantasy oriented themes.

Assault at midnight.
    André's Portfolio review

Simple zombie concept.
    André's Portfolio review

Marilyn Monstrous.
    André's Portfolio review
    (this is one of the paintings done for an advertising agency)

Blue.
    André's Portfolio review

Olivia Wilde.
    André's Portfolio review

Goblin Santa.
    André's Portfolio review

Storyboard page #3
    André's Portfolio review
    Part of a few storyboards made for a friend's short movie.

Caricature of Dunga (Brazil's Soccer Coach during the 2010 World Cup)
    André's Portfolio review

Storyboard page #1
    André's Portfolio review

Kill Penis.
    André's Portfolio review
    Another illustration done for an advertising agency. This one was to be hanged in the women's bathroom door (the phrase in red reads "Women's Bathroom").

These are ALL done in Photoshop, using a Wacom Graphire 3. Please help me, point me my flaws. Thanks in advance (:

André.

Last edited by cl0aked; April 18th, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The biggest thing to jump out at me is the fact that you don't seem to have a very clear light source set in any of these. I think understanding the direction of the light source will really help you in defining the forms and making the images more readable.

The other issue I see is a uniformity of colour. This is apparent in the goblin santa and the caricature the most. When a form turns to shadow it doesn't just become a darker version of the exact same colour. It will change both saturation and hue as well as value. Understanding how to change colour with form is a very important skill that would add a lot of strength to these images.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The biggest thing that needs fixing is your awareness of form and space.

When you work, you must always think of the form and space. Sculpt, don't just make marks on a flat page. The moment you stop thinking of the form and space and begin pfutzing on the flat page, your work loses everything.

To increase this awareness, work from life and train yourself in construction of formal perspectives.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find your storyboards the most interesting of your pieces here--particularly the first one. If you're looking for a direction to hone in on, that might be a good one--it seems you've got a feel for it. Have you got Framed Ink by Marcos Mateu-Mestre? It's got some great storyboarding advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,291 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawing. Life drawing. Life drawing.

figure, still life, landscape. All from life.

Once you put that information about nature in that mind of yours, you are going to do very well.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Andrew Sonea, Thanks for the advice, Andrew. The Goblin Santa piece I painted in grayscale and then added color with an overlay layer, that may explain it. I'll do more color studies to add that to my work.

@arenhaus, Thanks!

@pilmon46, thanks! I'll look into it. I'm more inclined to follow a illustration and concept path, but storyboarding is also incredibly fun, so I'm not rulling that out.

@Jason Manley, thanks Jason! Will do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Join my Personal Project "zombies animated movie short"

I looking for persons around my age to take part on a personal project,wheater u want do concept art,storybaords,modeling,rigging or texturing that would serve the team well.Im a CGscociety user by the name of absorbentghost..
    all of use who participates in this small project has the right to use it as refference of self promotion..send me an email if ure interested or curious about this project...

make sure u have an msn account or something for instant messanging..

Caribbean 3d Junkie..respect to God
    He in one blood he and Eye

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.